Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Independent to cease print publications

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I won't miss it as I never read it, but I hope this doesn't start a trend. Most Sundays I buy a Sunday Times, primarily for the Sports pullout. I always enjoy leafing through a decent broadsheet sports section, especially if its at the bar with a quiet pint, and a bit of soccerball on in the background. That can quite often be the best hour and a half of my week (yes, I'm in my 40's).

I never want to read big articles on my phone or a tablet. It'll be a sad day if we ever lose the printed press completely.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
We live in a country with a large proportion of morons, 1.8 million buy the Sun, 1.6 the Daily Mail and only 60K odd The Independent.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Going digital .... I quite like the paper ..but when the 'I' came out moved to it ..same stuff just condensed and I found I read the whole paper ..much cheaper! I see the 'I' is going to be under new ownership, I hope it doesn't change its ethos

The new 'i' will be completely different as it won't have access to the Indy's content. Everything in it will come from the new owners' regional and local papers.

The new 'i' will be completely different as it won't have access to the Indy's content. Everything in it will come from the new owners' regional and local papers.

Why would the whole nation want to read what's printed in the Sussex Express? They can't even cover Lewes news properly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a sign of the times, but when it's only selling 56,000 print copies a day then it's not viable.

I remember when The Independent started up in 1986 - along with 'Today' it was a breath of fresh air and my paper of choice. Up until then the papers were heavily politicised either right or left wing.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A real shame - it's the only national paper I buy because it was not particularly politicised.
Now there'll be no damn choice at all - it's either right or left and I'm not interested in buying either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Imagine a world with no newspapers, if it was just all online. You'd either end up having to wade your way through about a million ads, pop-ups, videos (Argus, Mail online, Redtops), or pay a monthly subscription (The Times).

Don't fancy either of those. Long live PRINT.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
A terrible website. Will need to be completely revamped. The Guardian will pick up the few people who buy physical papers and maybe even a few subscriptions. I wonder how long the New Statesman will plod along.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

On the flip side though, the I doesn't have editorial staff of its own; it just uses the Independent's resources. As part of the Johnston Press deal it will be having an editorial team of its own.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Haven't bought a paper for years but did used to like the Independent. As mentioned the web / mobile version is crap so hopefully this will mean they improve it and I'll actually read it more.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll ruddy miss it. I think out of partial anxiety I began carrying a newspaper with me so that I had somewhere else to look if anyone else's eyes for some reason met mine at all. So I'd always have a paper in my hand or pocket to quickly look at to give the impression, I think, that I had the IQ levels necessary to read, and with a copy of the Independent, the right way up, I wouldn't seem dangerously thuggish, and, most of all, that I didn't want to talk to anyone about anything. I also gradually very much liked the paper to relax with during a lunchbreak, reading some comments pages as I idled. And the Saturday paper has been a must for me for the week's tv guide and the big Sudoku. Sounds a bit sad, I know, but I've been attached to that paper for 15 years or so.
I suppose the question is what now will I carry to be up to something else in moments of accidental eye contact? A large supply of quorn sausage rolls to check the sell-by dates on with excessively avid interest and begin to munch if someone chatterboxishly becomes dangerously close?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here