Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glasses

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I thought the good, spectacle wearing, knowledgeable, folk of NSC could help me with this...

I just recently got glasses for the first time, and I have been extra careful with them not to touch the lenses with my bare hands, however they have still got dirty, which is irritating. I have continuously wiped the lenses with the cloth that the glasses come with which really doesn't do a lot and only makes them clear for a few seconds, so how do I clean them and how do I stop them from getting dirty in the first place or is that just unavoidable?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You can get specs cleaner from Wilko's, which is farely cheap.
I get the same thing everytime I go to rub my eye, fingers straight onto lens :tantrum:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought the good, spectacle wearing, knowledgeable, folk of NSC could help me with this...

I just recently got glasses for the first time, and I have been extra careful with them not to touch the lenses with my bare hands, however they have still got dirty, which is irritating. I have continuously wiped the lenses with the cloth that the glasses come with which really doesn't do a lot and only makes them clear for a few seconds, so how do I clean them and how do I stop them from getting dirty in the first place or is that just unavoidable?

I've worn glasses for at least 35 years, and I can't stand having them dirty. However, when I get up each morning I clean them by breathing on the lenses and wiping them with a cotton handkerchief, and they are fine for the rest of the day. :shrug:

If you DO have grease on them, you could try putting them under some warm running water and using a spot of washing-up liquid, drying them with a paper towel and then using a cotton cloth or handkerchief.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I've worn glasses for at least 35 years, and I can't stand having them dirty. However, when I get up each morning I clean them by breathing on the lenses and wiping them with a cotton handkerchief, and they are fine for the rest of the day. :shrug:

If you DO have grease on them, you could try putting them under some warm running water and using a spot of washing-up liquid, drying them with a paper towel and then using a cotton cloth or handkerchief.

Good post,from someone like myself who wears spectacles.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is one of the many reasons that I use contact lenses. That and the fact they don't slip down your nose or steam up when you go into a warm building.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Is the right answer: washing-up liquid works a treat on them. And as someone who has worn glasses for more than 50 years, I've tried all sorts of stuff to clean them

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This is one of the many reasons that I use contact lenses. That and the fact they don't slip down your nose or steam up when you go into a warm building.

No, THIS is the right answer.

I've been wearing contact lenses since 1977 - I have glasses that are used to get me from the bed to the bathroom in the morning and from bathroom to bed at night.

Contact lenses give such clearer vision and are essential for most sports participation ....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I've been wearing contact lenses since 1977 - I have glasses that are used to get me from the bed to the bathroom in the morning and from bathroom to bed at night.

Contact lenses give such clearer vision and are essential for most sports participation ....

I've been wearing contact lenses since 1977 too but there are times when it has be glasses (eye infection, late night etc). You can't wear contact lenses 24/7.

And contact lenses don't work well as reading glasses - I need reading glasses over my contact lenses

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've been wearing contact lenses since 1977 too but there are times when it has be glasses (eye infection, late night etc). You can't wear contact lenses 24/7.
Laser eye surgery is also a very good option that I would thoroughly recommend to someone who needs visual correction. As well as the convenience I believe it is also financially beneficial compared to the cumulative costs associated with contact lenses and/or glasses.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I rinse my glasses under a tap first thing in the morning, and the dry using a clean pair of pants/boxer short. This was recommended years ago, as the material is soft enough not to scratch the lenses.

Be carefull when using tissues or kitchen towels, as they can scratch the lenses over the long term.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Laser surgery.
I wore glasses for 7 years, contact lenses for 26 years and then had laser surgery 14 years ago. Since then I have only worn glasses for reading. The downside for me is that my vision was excellent with contact lenses and it's not as good following laser surgery but I'm legal to drive. Following the golf ball when I hit a MASSIVE drive is a problem though.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

And contact lenses don't work well as reading glasses - I need reading glasses over my contact lenses

This is me also. I can't get the nerve to have laser surgery and been told it only lasts for a limited period of time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here