Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Hunt-v-Junior Doctors.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The ones I've seen protesting seem surprisingly happy...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Would have thought it was good work practice as an employer to have your workforce with you,

I'd rather have those Junior Doctors working in hospitals where they can do more good rather than sat on the benches with Jeremy Hunt in the Houses of Parliament

:jester:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lose the argument so just impose the new contracts. Not a great way to improve the relationship between the two. Given the public support for the junior doctors this is likely to be a large vote loser for the tories.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Car crash interview with Ken Clarke on radio 5 today. Banging on about how militant the BMA are and in the next breath mentioning the last doctors strike was 40 years ago!!! Then banging on about the junior doctors demanding more money when they aren't!!! Conservative PR machine should have picked someone a bit younger and with a little more understanding!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Regardless of your political viewpoint it is crass and clueless behaviour by Jezza.

Alienating an intelligent, highly trained, educated and mobile workforce, who cannot be easily replaced, is a dumb thing to do, even if your dad is an admiral and you used to be head boy at Charterhouse.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Then banging on about the junior doctors demanding more money when they aren't!!!

they are. the remaining area of contention is overtime on Saturdays and early weekday evenings. Government want those periods seen as regular hours, BMA want them seen as "unsocial" hours and paid more for working them. right or wrong, that boils down to being about money.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If nothing else Hunt will have improved the future pool of junior doctors working in Wales, Scotland, Australia, USA..........

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If nothing else Hunt will have improved the future pool of junior doctors working in Wales, Scotland, Australia, USA..........

Interesting to see if that turns out to be true or ends up being shown to be just another scare tactic that was used to try and get more money out of the government.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting to see if that turns out to be true or ends up being shown to be just another scare tactic that was used to try and get more money out of the government.

Not sure it's been "used as a scare tactic" as I've not seen or heard it but I know that if my employer treated me with the arrogant disdain that Hunt has I would be away at the first opportunity.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
they are. the remaining area of contention is overtime on Saturdays and early weekday evenings. Government want those periods seen as regular hours, BMA want them seen as "unsocial" hours and paid more for working them. right or wrong, that boils down to being about money.

Isn't it the case that they actually want the existing unsocial hours recognized. Currently I think standard hours are 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday but Hunt wants to change that to 7am to 10pm Mon to Sat. Do you think working 9pm on a Saturday is not unsocial?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everything will be ok. All the docs threatening to leave will leave perhaps back to the countries we stripped them from? Meanwhile we'll take a new batch from same countries as we always seem to do. So it's just a merry go round isn't it? And pot luck if you fall ill as has always been the case.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Actually they are not - they are willing to scrap some of the 11% increase in basic to allow those that work Saturdays to be paid more. Hunt is quite clearly a HUNT with a capital C.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Not that simple when you understand the full detail. The doctors are accepting a lower loading for unsocial hours than what they currently get. Hunt wants to take them to the cleaners removing it entirely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here