Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Earning your Stripes

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
Following the Albion over the years there are games or events that you have been to that really test your loyalty/sanity, things that you would consider a badge of honour down the pub!

Examples being, Rochdale or Hull away on a Tuesday night. Sleeping outside the Goldstone, queuing for a cup final ticket. Arranging holidays or cutting short holidays to get to games. Making a weekend away if it........in Hartlepool!

How have you earnt your stripes?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
September 6th 2008 - Brighton 1 v 4 Scunthorpe.

Horrible horrible game, I got utterly soaked in the East stand, because of the wind and rain, and to cap it all off, I actually drove my Scunny supporting mate down from London to watch the game.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
A new years day trip to torquay on the supporters club coach, snow on the roads. Having to push the coach to get it moving at the services

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton 1-5 Stoke on the final day of the 2005/06 season. So bad it was funny. Rooney (Adam) hat-trick, We ended up doing the 'ROO-NEY! ROO-NEY!' chant. Doug Loft came on as sub for something like the last 20 minutes, scored with a pitiful daisy-cutter of a shot and promptly got awarded MoM. Don't think the team bothered with an end of season lap of honour that day, or if they did, nobody hung around to watch it :lol:

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Brighton 1-5 Stoke on the final day of the 2005/06 season. So bad it was funny. Rooney (Adam) hat-trick, We ended up doing the 'ROO-NEY! ROO-NEY!' chant. Doug Loft came on as sub for something like the last 20 minutes, scored with a pitiful daisy-cutter of a shot and promptly got awarded MoM. Don't think the team bothered with an end of season lap of honour that day, or if they did, nobody hung around to watch it :lol:

I can assure you that Loft was actually chosen as MoM before he scored!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

This was my daughter's first game, although she had been to lots of reserve games before that. She was ten at the time but was not put off and is Brighton through and through. I was so incensed by this showing that I would have given Mark McGee a good talking to had she not been with me - I didn't want to set a bad example!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The Cup replay in exotic Wrexham, even though it was on telly I think, and having to endure penalties.

Arriving near Blackburn having driven up to be told it 'was a tad too damp'.

Following the Albion over the years there are games or events that you have been to that really test your loyalty/sanity, things that you would consider a badge of honour down the pub!

Examples being, Rochdale or Hull away on a Tuesday night. Sleeping outside the Goldstone, queuing for a cup final ticket. Arranging holidays or cutting short holidays to get to games. Making a weekend away if it........in Hartlepool!

How have you earnt your stripes?

Proper fans didn't have to queue overnight,people who traveled to Sunderland midweek received a ticket for the final.:moo:

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Losing 6-0 away to West Ham a few seasons ago, when I travelled up alone was very trying. I stayed till the end, mostly in disbelief.

Also Port Vale away in the cup when the games was nearly called off and it was hailstoning the size of APPLES

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tuesday night away at Barnsley, League/Milk Cup, circa 1981?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Season tickets while we were at Gillingham.

This. Had one for both seasons. It was also a period when we endured Gislason and Mahoney-Johnson, two of the worst footballers I've seen play for the Albion. The day we lost 4-0 to a poor Darlo was probably the lowest of my Albion supporting life

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Away at Rochdale on a Tuesday night in the awful 96/97 season. 3-0 to Rochdale. We made Jason Peake (then Rochdale) look like Messi and Ashley Neale looked like the worse CB ever to play in the stripes. Staring down the barrel in terms of relegation out of the league.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Season tickets while we were at Gillingham.

Pretty much says it all really, it was like playing an away match every week. Stuck it for the first season, but defeat after defeat finally got me down, and I barely used my season ticket in our second season there.

I can also vividly recall travelling by train to Hull for a game back in the late 1980's, (a horrible journey, as any one else who has made the trip will know), only for the game to be called off at the last minute. Never mind I thought, I'll go and watch Doncaster play at home instead. That was promptly postponed too.

It wasn't until the following morning, that I realised that the only two games called off that Saturday were, you guessed it, at Hull and Doncaster.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Season ticket at Gillingham and then, despite the small crowd, having to queue every game in a traffic jam down the only road to the ground.

When people whinge about a 10 minute wait for a train at Falmer I often think of this.

PG

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Auto Windscreens Shield at 'home' to Millwall at the Priestfield. Went on my jacks. 5-1 defeat with Moralee notching for the good guys.

'you're gonna win the windscreens but you'll smash it anyway'

Stumpy Tim

Flew back from Sydney, and did Plymouth and Carlisle away within 4 days. Made it on to the front page of the Argus for that. Slow news day obviously.

I remember when at Uni I went to Darlington, Scunthorpe & Doncaster away games. We lost all three and didn't score a goal. Would have been 96-97 I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here