Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Story of Britain's Most Successful Gambler (Tony Bloom)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the big man ever wants to branch out into cycling bets, I know of a couple of future employees.

Although in fairness we only tip winning odds TB can only dream about.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Wow, what an eye opener. TB's real wealth will only be known by a handful that are close to him, but that article hints he could be a multi-BILLIONAIRE!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, a very insightful article.

The bit at the end is interesting, that the margins are reducing as other similar operations set up and the bookies get more savvy.

I wonder if the recent exploration of the South American 'market' might be as a result of this - looking for new markets where there is greater margin?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What an excellent read, cheers to [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] for posting. Fascinating stuff, including the bit about one of TB's great business rivals being Matthew Benham, the owner of Brentford FC - which must have made last week's 3-0 to 'Brighton FC' all the sweeter! :clap:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What an excellent read, cheers to [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] for posting. Fascinating stuff, including the bit about one of TB's great business rivals being Matthew Benham, the owner of Brentford FC - which must have made last week's 3-0 to 'Brighton FC' all the sweeter! :clap:

I remember when Poyet was manager, Bloom asked him if he could talk to the team just before we played at Brentford. He said it was the only time he had gone into the dressing room. We won that game.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I remember when Poyet was manager, Bloom asked him if he could talk to the team just before we played at Brentford. He said it was the only time he had gone into the dressing room. We won that game.

Rumour has it that TB and MB had a LARGE private wager on the outcome of that game.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great article great career.

Put paid to any conspiracy over our own goals too:

(Bloom's syndicate and Starlizard don't place any bets on Brighton, given Bloom and other directors' roles at the club.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rumour has it that TB and MB had a LARGE private wager on the outcome of that game.
That can only go one of 2 ways.

It was either £1 or an egotastic 6 or maybe even 7 figure sum.
Anything else just wouldn't be worthwhile.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The less publicity TB gets the better.
For him and the Albion.

Which is something promotion would put an end too, and it would seem like an aspect TB may have a problem with.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wow, what an eye opener. TB's real wealth will only be known by a handful that are close to him, but that article hints he could be a multi-BILLIONAIRE!
This. And it is crucial to all of our continued enjoyment of Brighton FC.

He plays poker "only for fun" and yet was quite happy to bet 500,000 dollars on a one off match against a pro that he could not have been at all sure about beating.

I have always been a firm believer that someone with 200m+ in ready cash to use on a hobby must be worth at least one billion and probably more. Happy days.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Great article great career.

Put paid to any conspiracy over our own goals too:

(Bloom's syndicate and Starlizard don't place any bets on Brighton, given Bloom and other directors' roles at the club.)

Great piece.

I've always had the nagging doubt that, although Starlizard won't touch Brighton games, the football authorities may get nervous about a perceived conflict of interest. If we should reach the PL, the scrutiny would only intensify.

It sounds also like Starlizard are losing competitive advantage as others mimic his approach and margins are squeezed. I hope Bloom does have other investments to mitigate the risk to BHA's funding stream.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here