Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American election. Help needed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ok,its, one win each for the two Dems and the same for the Reps in their battle to win their parties nomination but these are the smaller states choosing a candidate at the moment,now i am aware that in the presidential race each state carries a number of votes which due to its size (and how is that worked out?) so i/e Texas 34 Idaho 4. Is it the same process that is used when a party chooses it,s presidential candidate ? To further confuse the matter is it a straight % vote win to win that states nomination i/e Cruz won Iowa on a higher % vote than Trump,but would Trump have won any nomination votes for finishing second ?:wave:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I heard that a delegate to the convention could actually change the vote that they were instructed to cast. Of course the delegates are the more ardent supporters of their candidates so it's not at all likely to happen. Although legally it could and has happened in the past.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wouldnt worry about it, its bonkers. Democrats and Republicans have different rules, and they change state to state. you have primaries where you vote as we would then caucuses which are like a meeting with a show of hands (?). its all about selecting "delegates" who go to a meeting, who select delegate at the next level... all the way up. then theres super delegates who count for more than the plebicites. once upon a time, in 1700's this all probably made sense in a country so large. now its looking a bit bonkers.

just watch the news and they'll tell who's winning.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe the number of electoral votes in the electoral college is determined by how many representatives in Congress and Senators a state has. One vote for each rep and one for each senator. Reps are determined by population and senators are two per state.

For the primary election each party has different rules. Most rules are determined by the party's state committee for each state. Some states allow a split vote by percentage of votes and some states say all the votes for their state go to the winning candidate.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Super delegates are only in the Democratic party. They are allowed to vote for the candidate that they personally choose. Therefore they know who is favoured to win and can influence the real outcome. Candidates that attend a party convention will lobby super delegates mostly because their vote is still winnable.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Yeah. USA...USA.

president-poster.png

Trump might have won the New Hampshire primary, but there is nothing to stop him withdrawing from the race before the Convention happens. The delegates would then decide to back someone else, like Sarah Palin, if they wanted to, even though she didn't put her name forward in the Primary election.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
With 538 electoral votes is it not possible for a 269 all draw.I know the Yanks don't do draws so I suppose they go into an overtime period.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
With 538 electoral votes is it not possible for a 269 all draw.I know the Yanks don't do draws so I suppose they go into an overtime period.

If I remember correctly the Supreme Court decides if an election can't be decided. That may be because one candidate would sue in court over a minor issue (or major issue if there is one) to get it decided by the Supreme Court if that candidate thinks the SC will decide in his/her favour.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If I remember correctly the Supreme Court decides if an election can't be decided. That may be because one candidate would sue in court over a minor issue (or major issue if there is one) to get it decided by the Supreme Court if that candidate thinks the SC will decide in his/her favour.

House of Representatives should decide, any time no candidate has a majority of electoral votes.

What happened in 2000 was the Supreme Court ruling on various issues of counting votes that changed how Florida's electoral votes would have been allocated.
It wasn't a direct decision by the court, although it was tantamount to one.
You wouldn't automatically have a justiciable issue arising in every election -- in fact, whether the Supreme Court should have even heard Bush v. Gore was, and is, controversial.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Super delegates are only in the Democratic party. They are allowed to vote for the candidate that they personally choose. Therefore they know who is favoured to win and can influence the real outcome. Candidates that attend a party convention will lobby super delegates mostly because their vote is still winnable.

And because Clinton has gathered most of the super delegate votes, she's pretty much guaranteed to win the election. For example, Sanders won New Hampshire comfortably (23% of HRC) but looks likely to have fewer delegates from that state than Clinton will get.

Sanders would have to win every state by a landslide to make real headway - and that ain't going to happen.

Bet Labour MPs wish they had super delegates over here, that would have stopped Corbyn in his tracks

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Americans sometimes have a unique way of settling electoral draws. As the Democrats recently done in Iowa when Sanders and Clinton were neck n neck with a 0.1 of a percentage between them, they simple spin a quarter and whoever calls correctly is the winner. Whoop Whoop Whoop.

Its a ridiculous way to settle an election. Rock, Scissors, Paper is way more democratic.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Trump might have won the New Hampshire primary, but there is nothing to stop him withdrawing from the race before the Convention happens. The delegates would then decide to back someone else, like Sarah Palin, if they wanted to, even though she didn't put her name forward in the Primary election.

Given that alternative I would prefer Trump!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here