Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool back down

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Liverpool owners scrap £77 ticket and apologise to fans

Liverpool's owners have scrapped their controversial £77 ticket and apologised for the "distress caused" by last week's pricing announcement.

Thousands of fans left 77 minutes into Saturday's home draw with Sunderland in protest at the planned top-price £77 ticket in the new main stand.

The club's owners said in a statement: "Message received."

Liverpool's dearest matchday ticket will now stay at £59, while the highest season-ticket price is also frozen.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They have also scrapped ticket categories, so same price regardless of the opposition, and committed to keeping prices frozen for three years.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Great result for fan power and pleasing response from the club. Respect.

The abandonment of categorisation is perhaps a lead that Barber should consider following. Must be better to have bums on seats at Cat C prices than empty seats at Cat A prices!

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing

The abandonment of categorisation is perhaps a lead that Barber should consider following. Must be better to have bums on seats at Cat C prices than empty seats at Cat A prices!

Agree as when I go to a Brighton game I go to watch Brighton not the opposition so do not see why I should pay more just because the other team is supposedly better opposition than others.

Bucharest49

May 12, 2014
letter

"We have never taken a single penny out of the football club. Instead we have injected vast sums of our own money."
"We were strongly engaged in the process to develop the ticketing plan for 2016-2017."
"Part of the ticketing plan we got wrong."
"We believed... these increases were supportable even in the context of growth in revenues from the new Premier League TV deal."
"The widespread opposition to this element of the plan has made it clear that we were mistaken."
"A great many of you have objected strongly. Message received."
"This plan shall be in effect for both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. For the next two seasons, LFC will not earn a single additional pound from increasing general admission ticket prices."
"We believe we have demonstrated a willingness to listen carefully, reconsider our position, and act decisively."
"The unique and sacred relationship between Liverpool Football Club and its supporters has always been foremost in our minds. It represents the heartbeat of this extraordinary football club."

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
letter

"We have never taken a single penny out of the football club. Instead we have injected vast sums of our own money."
"We were strongly engaged in the process to develop the ticketing plan for 2016-2017."
"We believed... these increases were supportable even in the context of growth in revenues from the new Premier League TV deal."
"The widespread opposition to this element of the plan has made it clear that we were mistaken."
"This plan shall be in effect for both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. For the next two seasons, LFC will not earn a single additional pound from increasing general admission ticket prices."
"We believe we have demonstrated a willingness to listen carefully, reconsider our position, and act decisively."
"The unique and sacred relationship between Liverpool Football Club and its supporters has always been foremost in our minds. It represents the heartbeat of this extraordinary football club."

It all falls down on that last line. This is why I dislike Liverpool, they're always spouting NONSENSE about how they are so unique and extraordinary, as if they're somehow better than any other football. They're not of course.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It all falls down on that last line. This is why I dislike Liverpool, they're always spouting NONSENSE about how they are so unique and extraordinary, as if they're somehow better than any other football. They're not of course.
Completely agree. "Sacred" for fecks sake. Give it a rest.

However, this is good news and it's nice to see the actions and opinions of fans being recognised by the owners.

Also unusual for a Premier League club (or any club really) to admit they've made a mistake and do something about it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I accept their backing down is a good thing, there is, in my view, nothing to applaud about the overall ticket pricing of Premier League (and Championship) football which is, still, far too high, and which has way, way exceeded inflation over the past two decades.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Possibly, but hasn't that priced some fans out who could afford to go to a Cat C game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Indeed an inflated view that haven't won the league in nearly 3 decades

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree as when I go to a Brighton game I go to watch Brighton not the opposition so do not see why I should pay more just because the other team is supposedly better opposition than others.

Is that a serious comment? Given the choice of watching Brighton play Arsenal or Aldershot, which game is more appealing? I suspect most people would opt for the former

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just ignore that guff, it's BS.

But it is impressive that the club have acted so quickly and sensibly. The fans rightly complained, but that's the easy bit. It would have been all to easy for the owners to ignore the fans and make excuses, but they've done exactly the right thing and should be applauded. Hopefully other clubs will take note too.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
letter

So they deserve praise for backing down from an ill advised increase in ticket prices?

I should get a prize for not defecating in palace's changing room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here