Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio 4

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Their 8.30 sports news featured an interview with a renowned NSC moderator. Anyone hear it? Included a slight dig at the club formerly known as the glaziers.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Certainly did.

And a dig at the interviewer's team.

No Smiths reference, though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Heard something on Radio 5 about an hour before that.

Talking about relegation from the Premier League being scrapped.

A good point ( I thought ) made was that Rugby League had tried it and deemed it a failure, so were reintroducing relegation.

Clearly no relegation would render a lot of the season meaningless for most clubs, and eventually 'the product' would suffer leading to lower crowds and tv audiences ( just my view ).

Now it may be that overseas viewers won't care, but if they are the audience then the PL is finished, and a European super league is what they'll want anyway.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I for one would be quite happy if they drew up the drawbridge.

- We can realistically aim to win the Football League
- The financial suicide of the Championship can be moderated
- The 'EPL' will die a slow lingering, dull and boring death

PG

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

PG

I've been saying this for years. Whenever they resurrect the "European League" idea, or this 'no relegation from the Premiership' - yes please.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

PG

Whilst I agree with your first two points i really couldn't see the third happening.

All a closed shop would mean is that the stupid amount of money involved would swill around to the same clubs who would be free to go and spend silly money on fees and wages. This wouldn't have the fear of relegation and financial strife attached to it as they'd know that nothing will stop the tv money coming year after year. Which it would, as the clubs would be able to sign anything with a pulse.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

PG

And Bloom would be the first amongst many owners to quit, once you take away any aspiration of joining the elite you may as well play at Withdean in front of a few hundred

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Within about 3 years no one would be interested in Swansea v Bournemouth YET AGAIN, in what is effectively a friendly.

The TV deal would be renegotiated, balanced even more towards the top sides that people actually turned on to watch.

A slow, lingering death until eventually a euro league arises from the wreckage.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This would be so depressing if it ever happened. Could the FA block any move to block it?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
If relegation was scrapped surely the only function games between lower table teams would be as a shop window for players to put themselves in to get bought by the higher placed teams.

The only prize on offer would be more money for the club (and bonuses for the players) and without wanting to seem naive I do think there's a lot more in it than money for the players. That would be lost.

Freedom of movement between the division's should be regarded as sacred as the 'anyone can play anyone' structure of the fa cup. If it wasn't for this freedom of movement we wouldn't see afc Wimbledon climbing the divisions again after being hijacked or a club built on principle like fc United of Manchester. In theory anyone can create a club, get a fanbase and go as far as they possibly can without hindrance.

Limit that and it's just not football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is all on the assumption that 14 foreign ownerships in the PL would force it through.

I don't believe that the top teams like Man Utd, Arsenal etc. would be that bothered about relegation and voting the rule change in anyway.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why play the matches at all. Surely easier to negotiate league positions based on past performance and wealth of clubs involved. Not playing would obviate the need for embarrassing relegations.The club with the most money would be declared champions and would sit around the table with European clubs to negotiate who shall be European champions. Sky would charge £77 pm for viewing rights to the discussions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here