Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Chairman Phil Gartside has died

I am of course sorry for his families loss, I feel their pain.

I will not however join in with a minutes applause for someone who tried to change the traditional workings of the league system to benefit his own club to the detrement of others less fortunate.

Like Hans Kraay fanclub I will be respectful and stand in silence if asked to.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I just don't get how you can post that and seemingly ignore the similarity between the way Bolton were funded and the way Brighton currently are?
You missed the bit about pouring all the cash directly into players and agents pockets. TB has spent the majority of his cash on assets.

There's a huge difference, but you already know that. And I could go on, but it's the wrong thread as others have said.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You missed the bit about pouring all the cash directly into players and agents pockets. TB has spent the majority of his cash on assets.

There's a huge difference, but you already know that. And I could go on, but it's the wrong thread as others have said.

Saved me the time there. Cheers chap.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The best place for a binfest about finances is another thread.

The problem is that the 'right time' for a proper debate/investigation into Bolton's finances has been the last six months especially (if not the last five years). And Phil Gartside, for reasons of ill health, has not been able or willing to front up. Now he never will. In those circumstances you can't be surprised if one or two frustrations emerge now.

I have no idea how a Bolton fan can come on here and claim the £170m debt is nothing to do with the Premier League era, that is nonsense. I know for a fact they were still carrying players on virtually Premier League wages long after they got relegated. I suspect Bolton were one of the last teams to get stung by agents refusing to have relegation salary clauses. Now clubs are in a stronger negotiating position on that one.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The campaigning for the closed shop mainly, but he seemed a pretty unpleasant character in general, and from many accounts, a bully.
Very harsh imo, basically hearsay and you didnt agree with his stance on relegation , so would feel unable to join applause, which is allowing football to spill over into REAL life.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No silence or applause in his memory tomorrow as per the wishes of him family.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No silence or applause in his memory tomorrow as per the wishes of him family.

Just wanted to reiterate this on match day. The Gartside family have requested that nothing be done at the game today which the Albion, of course, will be respecting, although I think black armbands may be worn.

The Bolton fans may be doing their own applause on 63 minutes - I'm not entirely sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Very harsh imo, basically hearsay and you didnt agree with his stance on relegation , so would feel unable to join applause, which is allowing football to spill over into REAL life.

You're welcome to your opinion. I don't think it's harsh at all. Leaving his character aside, I'd still never honour the guy due to the closed shop thing. You can make light of his 'stance on relegation' if you like, but it was a concerted campaign to utterly destroy 100 years of football history by sealing off the summit to all but the cream plus ten clubs that happened to be randomly at the peak of a cyclical purple patch at the time (Bolton amongst them obviously). Scores of famous old clubs would have folded or significantly downsized.

Note how Gartside's 'stance on relegation' changed overnight when Bolton went down. Strange that, given that his proposals were supposedly for the good of football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're welcome to your opinion. I don't think it's harsh at all. Leaving his character aside, I'd still never honour the guy due to the closed shop thing. You can make light of his 'stance on relegation' if you like, but it was a concerted campaign to utterly destroy 100 years of football history by sealing off the summit to all but the cream plus ten clubs that happened to be randomly at the peak of a cyclical purple patch at the time (Bolton amongst them obviously). Scores of famous old clubs would have folded or significantly downsized.

Note how Gartside's 'stance on relegation' changed overnight when Bolton went down. Strange that, given that his proposals were supposedly for the good of football.

Agree with this. And as you have pointed out it is perfectly acceptable to be respectful but not celebrate his life.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I am of course sorry for his families loss, I feel their pain.

I will not however join in with a minutes applause for someone who tried to change the traditional workings of the league system to benefit his own club to the detrement of others less fortunate.

Like Hans Kraay fanclub I will be respectful and stand in silence if asked to.

Totally agree

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here