Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Chairman Phil Gartside has died

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
RIP, I'm wondering if Bolton fans are going to pay him a tribute during their next match against us? Looks like a crushing blow to their quest in order to escape admin

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35543921

Confirmed, due to illness.

R.I.P

"Gartside had been in the role for 16 years, but handed over the club's recent takeover negotiations to football finance executive Trevor Birch after his health deteriorated.

"Phil has been a personal friend for over 30 years. This is a very sad day," said vice-chairman Brett Warburton.

"We send our deepest condolences to all Phil's family."

I hope Bolton avoid relegation

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I pray that we have a minutes' SILENCE rather than applause on Saturday.

I'm respectful enough to stand quietly for him, but I won't be applauding the man or his passing.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Puts things into perspective, how much turmoil would we be in if Tony Bloom died still being chairman?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Puts things into perspective, how much turmoil would we be in if Tony Bloom died still being chairman?

Not strictly comparable, tbh. Gartside was the front man, but Eddie Davies the one who put in the £165m (and won't put in any more).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The fact is Bolton fans I know have very mixed feelings about Phil Gartside, alive or dead.

He has never been able (or willing) to properly account for what the hell happened financially at that club, an explanation the supporters deserved.

And many were embarrassed even at the time by his 'abolish relegation' idea when they were happily in the Premier League, an idea that was subsequently made to look ridiculous.

Yes, he took them to some great places but at a huge cost - maybe too big.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
He was one of only a few chairmen I could name to a particular club as he was quite a character and made money from a brewery. I think Big Sam drank his fair share when he was at Bolton.

I don't know where it leaves the club but rest in peace, Phil and condolences to his family. 63 is far too young.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I pray that we have a minutes' SILENCE rather than applause on Saturday.

I'm respectful enough to stand quietly for him, but I won't be applauding the man or his passing.
Genuine question , what has he done to make you feel like that ?

Jan 3, 2008
Having worked with Phil for several years and ultimately became a personal friend, I would have to say that I never, ever, saw any suggestion that he was a bully or anything like that. A great guy actually and whilst many Bolton fans may have differing views he was truly passionate about his club and the financial position is not down to him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here