Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Chairman Phil Gartside has died

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having worked with Phil for several years and ultimately became a personal friend, I would have to say that I never, ever, saw any suggestion that he was a bully or anything like that. A great guy actually and whilst many Bolton fans may have differing views he was truly passionate about his club and the financial position is not down to him

Condolences for your personal loss.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I pray that we have a minutes' SILENCE rather than applause on Saturday.

I'm respectful enough to stand quietly for him, but I won't be applauding the man or his passing.

I thought exactly this when I heard that Gartside had died. I saw some (Albion) fan suggesting on Twitter earlier that there be a minute's applause on 63 minutes for him. I thought that was bizarre. This is one of those moments where respectful silence is the order of the day. Let Bolton fans applaud if and when they choose.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I thought exactly this when I heard that Gartside had died. I saw some (Albion) fan suggesting on Twitter earlier that there be a minute's applause on 63 minutes for him. I thought that was bizarre. This is one of those moments where respectful silence is the order of the day. Let Bolton fans applaud if and when they choose.

It's Bolton's loss, so maybe whatever they think is appropriate? Personally, I'm with you. Miniute's silence and let Bolton do what they will at their next home game. What would we want as Albion fans if it was a comparable figure and we were playing away?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's Bolton's loss, so maybe whatever they think is appropriate? Personally, I'm with you. Miniute's silence and let Bolton do what they will at their next home game. What would we want as Albion fans if it was a comparable figure and we were playing away?

It may well be that Bolton simply send their players out in black armbands and decline the minute's silence in favour of doing one at their next home game.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not missed by many in football I suspect. An unpleasant, invariably aggressive,deliberately antagonistic, bully of a man.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know nothing of what the man did outside football. Within football and within Bolton Wanderers in particular I'm sure he probably made bad decisions as well as good ones, just as anyone would. I am sure though, that he always had the interests of his club at heart, and was a true fan of the Trotters.

RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't want to be mean, but he was nowt to do with Brighton, this is a very important home game and this will give Bolton something else to play for as well as the fact they seem to be playing better lately, a minutes silence distracts the players from the build up in the dressing room and obviously the atmosphere is lost as everyone falls silent and we need go be on it from the start.

Very sad death, a dedicated Chairman and fan of Bolton, but I feel that we should wear black arm bands in respect and a bouquet of flowers given to the Bolton captain during the handshakes, but no more than that.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Bad News RIP Mr Gartside

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll go along with whatever the club decide to do or the Bolton fans would like on the basis it'll have been discussed and agreed with Bolton, as I'd expect them to do if the boot was on the other foot. RIP Mr Gartside.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
nothing to do with Brighton, without wishing to be anti anything, no need imo for any mark of respect....let the Trotters do that at their next home game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having worked with Phil for several years and ultimately became a personal friend, I would have to say that I never, ever, saw any suggestion that he was a bully or anything like that. A great guy actually and whilst many Bolton fans may have differing views he was truly passionate about his club and the financial position is not down to him

Who is it down to then ?

I'm not saying that he is solely responsible, but Gartside and the owner appear to have lost control of the finances through catastrophic overspending on players when they were in the PL, which all came home to roost when they were relegated.

Or have I got that wrong.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gartside called for a 2 tier premier league with NO RELEGATION to "increased competitiveness" because "the same 3 teams" are always top.

His passing comes at a time when Bournemouth are in the premier league........and Leicester are top.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
RIP, Phil... but lets hope for 3 points to the seagulls.

Jan 3, 2008
Who is it down to then ?

I'm not saying that he is solely responsible, but Gartside and the owner appear to have lost control of the finances through catastrophic overspending on players when they were in the PL, which all came home to roost when they were relegated.

Or have I got that wrong.

So if Tony decided he wanted to buy a top quality striker and fund it........you would expect the Board to tell him to "do one"? Its a vehicle for Tony & in Bolton's case Eddie, to do as they see fit essentially. Thats the top and bottom of it. Bolton would have long ceased to be in existence if Eddie had not propped them up. The monies would typically come in as a loan - i.e. debt, which makes the financial position look horrendous. Far better than owing the money to a Bank however I would suggest. So I think the Board are fairly powerless in reality (in that regard). In my opinion Phil cannot be blamed for the financial position at Bolton although granted he clearly had a role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here