Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Red & Yellow cards in cricket!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Be fun on a Sunday afternoon. Send the oppo fast bowler off whilst doing your 10 over stint, then it's your turn to bat.

PG

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
All leagues have a disciplinary committee to deal with player infringements, usually by way of short, medium and long term bans depending on the seriousness of the incident.
These hearings are done out of the heat of the moment, days/weeks after the event.

Making the umpires sole judges of punishment in the heat of the moment may inflame the situation. There was a game in Shropshire last year that was abandoned after a violent incident.
Could only ever see this being brought in at international, county and premier league cricket where there is a panel / neutral umpire - but I fear it would more likely make things worse.

Captain MUST control his own players.

So it's a no from me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The interesting one is the 5 run penalty for time wasting, which will make the last over before lunch/tea fun as now the batting side look to prolong the over to avoid another one being bowled. How will the batsman drag this out without being penalised for time wasting. Does it also mean that if the bowling side are say 5 overs short at the end of play they immediately concede 25 runs.

There is a already a penalty in domestic limited overs so this could be a good approach to ensuring all overs are bowled.

I'm not sure about the 10 over sin bin, I could see fast bowlers finishing their spell and being happy to be forced off for 10 overs to have a rub down and a drink.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Would hate to see this implemented at the grass roots level, simply because the umpires are already biased enough! Jheezus try playing some of the Crawley sides or other notorious cheats and their umpires will be sending the oppo fast bowler off every week!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
All leagues have a disciplinary committee to deal with player infringements, usually by way of short, medium and long term bans depending on the seriousness of the incident.
These hearings are done out of the heat of the moment, days/weeks after the event.

Making the umpires sole judges of punishment in the heat of the moment may inflame the situation. There was a game in Shropshire last year that was abandoned after a violent incident.
Could only ever see this being brought in at international, county and premier league cricket where there is a panel / neutral umpire - but I fear it would more likely make things worse.

Captain MUST control his own players.

So it's a no from me.

This is exactly it. You can't place this in the hands of the umpires at the time, any punishment handed out at the time is more than likely just going to make things worse. Then you're going to get overzealous or biased umpires who are waiting for an excuse to send someone off. A large number of the umpires in games I've played in have pretty useless at making standard decisions, so the last thing we want is to get them taking disciplinary action.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here