Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson - why does he seem to have been forgotten?

Was going to put this on the cult hero thread, which omits any mention of him, but I thought he deserved better than that. 36 goals was it in one season and a best selling author as well? At least Plymouth Argyle have him in their team of the century.

In no way wishing to decry other deserving players such as Ward, Zamora and Crumplin but perhaps a little thought and a few memories of Gary wouldn't come amiss. My theory is that he tends to get overlooked as he played in a period which was relatively uneventful for the Albion and didn't involve playing in the top flight, FA Cup finals, battling with extinction, corrupt owners and loss of the ground.

My memory. Goal I think against one of the Bristol clubs, right wing near West Stand, ploughed field standard of pitch, piledriver shot straight into the net without goalkeeper moving. Every time I remember it he seems to be a little closer to the halfway line! In this day and age it would have been captured on all manner of digital devices but suspect that it remains only in peoples memories now.

Over to you for your Gary memories.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Garry Nelson
Yes this. He runs a golfing holidays firm in Essex now.

And his book is one of the best football books I've read.

As for 1987/88, what a season that was. We had just been relegated and things looked bleak. Then Nelse turned up and scored for fun (ably assisted by Kevin Bremner). Who remembers that Arsenal game? The gate was 26,467 and Nelson equalised with superbly taken volley at the south end. Bremner should have put us in front late on, before Arsenal scored their winner.

There were lots of memorable games that season actually, home and away.

Saddest thing for me was how Nelson left, having fallen out with Lloyd over wage inequality in the dressing room. He moved to Charlton, got a massive round of applause from our fans and then scored for them inside one minute (at Upton Park) :(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I haven't forgotten him

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Was going to put this on the cult hero thread, which omits any mention of him, but I thought he deserved better than that. 36 goals was it in one season and a best selling author as well? At least Plymouth Argyle have him in their team of the century.

In no way wishing to decry other deserving players such as Ward, Zamora and Crumplin but perhaps a little thought and a few memories of Gary wouldn't come amiss. My theory is that he tends to get overlooked as he played in a period which was relatively uneventful for the Albion and didn't involve playing in the top flight, FA Cup finals, battling with extinction, corrupt owners and loss of the ground.

My memory. Goal I think against one of the Bristol clubs, right wing near West Stand, ploughed field standard of pitch, piledriver shot straight into the net without goalkeeper moving. Every time I remember it he seems to be a little closer to the halfway line! In this day and age it would have been captured on all manner of digital devices but suspect that it remains only in peoples memories now.

Over to you for your Gary memories.

I knew Garry when he was at the peak of his Albion career. Off the pitch he was a top bloke and never drew attention to his public profile in the area. He was a genuinely nice guy and, while he could banter with the best of them, was actually quite unassuming. He went on to write the two books (the second was about his time as manager with cash-strapped Torquay and is as good a read as his first), did some work for Sky and was involved with the PFA.

A very good ambassador for his craft - and of course he could play a bit too! I'm sure many Albion fans have some treasured memories.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
LOVED Nelson. That promotion season remains my favourite. I was 17 and life was brilliant.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry to hog the thread but my best memory was beating him in a race. GN lived in Worthing and there was an annual mass 4 mile run along the seafront in aid of the local children's hospice.
Being a sad ******* I used to treat this as a race. Having finished I noticed Garry crossed the line behind me and immediately gave him stick about his off-season fitness. He then explained that he'd run the first half with his very young kid - thus denying me a good scalp and making feel like the prat I was (and still am).

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I have some fond memories of Garry Nelson not least scoring against Arsenal. However, at that time we also had the likes of John Keeley, Ian Chapman, John Crumplin, Doug Rougive and my personal favourite, Kevin Bremner.

He, therefore, may well have been overlooked somewhat playing in a team of cult figures.

I have some fond memories of Garry Nelson not least scoring against Arsenal. However, at that time we also had the likes of John Keeley, Ian Chapman, John Crumplin, Doug Rougive and my personal favourite, Kevin Bremner.

He, therefore, may well have been overlooked somewhat playing in a team of cult figures.
Good point - was Hans "is evil" Kraay un that group as well?

I vividly remember one game where the entire ground erupted with " Nelson must stay, Nelson must stay, hello, hello"

I never knew the reason he departed until reading this thread.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The AMAZING goal he scored at Brentford in the cup is one of the greatest Albion goals of all time. He won the ball in their half, ran through about six Brentford players and unleashed a blistering shot into the top corner. I jumped to celebrate, and by the time my feet hit the floor, I was half way up the penalty box. What a goal!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The AMAZING goal he scored at Brentford in the cup is one of the greatest Albion goals of all time. He won the ball in their half, ran through about six Brentford players and unleashed a blistering shot into the top corner. I jumped to celebrate, and by the time my feet hit the floor, I was half way up the penalty box. What a goal!

But Gerry Ryans goal at West Ham where he dribbled through the entire West Ham team (twice) was better.

More seriously while not forgotten Garry Nelson does fall down the pecking order when recalling Albion forwards due to Ward and Zamora who are names that will immediately jump to the top of everyones list.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Gary Nelson - why does he seem to have been forgotten?

Was it better than Kurt Nogan's goal v Bolton in January 1993?

With his back to goal, chested a throw-in by the corner flag to beat one defender, then poked the ball past the next defender and ran on the other side to collect it before beating two more defenders and firing a shot in the roof of the Bolton net.

I never got the chance to see Nelson's goal v Brentford but I'm reminded of this effort from Nogan whenever Nelson's is discussed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here