Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many points for promotion, according to this article 86 should do it (usually...)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I tend to have teams getting too many points ... that being the case I'm not sure anyone will get to 90. It's going to be tight, would be great to come away from Hull with something.

What if, not a prediction!!

Football.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I tend to have teams getting too many points ... that being the case I'm not sure anyone will get to 90. It's going to be tight, would be great to come away from Hull with something.

What if, not a prediction!!

View attachment 72233

I'm looking at Forest to take points off both Burnley and Hull this month.

Our 3 aways vs Hull, Cardiff, and Bristol will shape our season and we need a decent haul from those games.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ten wins? That doesn't sound too difficult, or implausible, bearing in mind our form over the season so far.

A March like we had in 2011 would be nice :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is a lot of football to be played yet. Watford came from 6th this time last season to finish 2nd, Norwich were 7th and finished 3rd. I think like last season there won't be a huge gap between 1st and 6th, last season there was just 12 points separated the top 7 teams. Anything 90 or above I'd say is going to win the league, 86 points is going to put you there or thereabouts for 2nd, reckon it will be slightly higher though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just over 90 is the average points required for automatic promotion but 86 seems to usually do the trick.

So for Brighton this means either:

10 wins, 1 draw and 6 defeats
Or
9 wins, 4 draws and 6 defeats
Or
8 wins, 7 draws and 2 defeats
It's a small point, but no, it doesn't. That's 31 points, plus the 53 we have = 84, not 86.

10 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats

or

9 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats

or

8 wins, 9 draws and 0 defeats

PS - your second scenario has us playing 19 games

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm looking at Forest to take points off both Burnley and Hull this month.

Our 3 aways vs Hull, Cardiff, and Bristol will shape our season and we need a decent haul from those games.

Difficult to disagree with any of that, particularly the run of 3 aways.

I'm not sure if anyone will get to 90, Burnley look like they might have the best chance. That being the case it's likely to be tight as hell and I don't think Derby are finished yet either

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know it's simplifying everything somewhat but If we can score enough goals, we'll finish top two. We pretty much have to score in every game now and avoid too much bad luck with injuries, ref decisions, deflected shots and the like.

10 wins are more than possible with Knockers now. A return to form and the starting line up for Lua Lua and that result against Brentford could become the norm rather than a blip. In all probability, It'll be Wilson-Hemed up front on Saturday, let's hope they cement their partnership with a goal apiece.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
almost impossible to say who will do what this year.
Every time a team or two appears to pull out a decentish gap and look like kicking on they have a bad spell and are suddenly right back with the pack. Who would have thought mid January time we would be just 4 points behind Middlesbrough? Any of the top 6 I think have the ability to string a few wins together but it's going to be the side who can hold their nerve best that will win the league this year

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
MAXIMUM 91 points for 1st place (based on Boro' going on a run of 2 Points per game).

Realistic 87 points for 1st place (based on Boro' getting 1.75 PPG).

Realistic 2nd place is looking at 84 points.

---

If we want automatic, we NEED 1.75 PPG and for either Hull or Boro' to slip.

It will be very tight.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
It's a small point, but no, it doesn't. That's 31 points, plus the 53 we have = 84, not 86.

10 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats

or

9 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats

or

8 wins, 9 draws and 0 defeats

PS - your second scenario has us playing 19 games

Good spot, was reading the paper this morning and thought we had 55 points (but appear corrected!), well hopefully we'll have 56 after the weekend.

Hull game is going to be a big game we don't want to lose, but with the squad we have now I think we could go on another unbeaten run for a few more games!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hull game is going to be a big game we don't want to lose, but with the squad we have now I think we could go on another unbeaten run for a few more games!
We have an excellent squad. Hopefully no more big injuries, and Wilson could be key. We're 15/2 to finish top 2, which I think is decent. Bookies are placing too much faith in Derby IMO.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
almost impossible to say who will do what this year.
Every time a team or two appears to pull out a decentish gap and look like kicking on they have a bad spell and are suddenly right back with the pack. Who would have thought mid January time we would be just 4 points behind Middlesbrough? Any of the top 6 I think have the ability to string a few wins together but it's going to be the side who can hold their nerve best that will win the league this year

Hopefully this is where Chris Hughtons calm persona and promotion experience will give us an edge over some of the others.

Feb 14, 2010
Spoke to a Sheffield Wednesday fan last week. They have spent a few bob and he thought they were in with a very good shout of automatic. We just have to keep winning as it seems that Wednesday, Hull and Boro will.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here