Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Help the club's hotel and cancer unit planning application

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you want to support the club's planning application for a hotel and cancer unit to be built at the Amex, this is what you need to do:

1. Go here: http://ww3.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1199915&action=showDetail&application_number=BH2015%2F03285

2. Click on the “Comments” tab.

3. Scroll down and enter your name and additional details and then click on the “You support the planning application” radio button.

4. You may wish to make additional comments. If so, you may want to consider some of the following points as to why you support the application:

- It creates 82 full time jobs, all of whom will be employed by the Football Club
- It will generate £5.8 million for the local economy
- It will generate an estimated £314,000 in business rates, much of which now goes to the Local Authority and therefore can be used to supplement the cuts made by Central Government for social services, children’s centres, day care for the elderly etc.,
- It has attracted another global brand to the City – Starwood/Marriott is the largest hotel group in the world
- It will benefit 30 cancer patients a day. These patients have to have repeated treatments on a daily basis, and so will benefit from being able to visit a calming environment for their treatment
- It will support the Football Club, a vital part of the City
- if it does not go ahead the land will become a car park and not generate any of these benefits.

In its current form no thanks Paul/Darren.
Having read the planning officer's report they have reasonable points both aesthetically and in law which could and should have been resolved by the applicant before now. Personally, I think the external design is uninspiring and not in keeping with the immediate surroundings.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Having read the planning officer's report they have reasonable points both aesthetically and in law which could and should have been resolved by the applicant before now. Personally, I think the external design is uninspiring and not in keeping with the immediate surroundings.
I have to agree, I fully support a hotel on the site and the cancer unit will be a wonderful asset for the whole community, however we cant make such a song and dance of the aesthetics of the stadium enhancing not taking away from its position and replicating the curvature of the downs, only to cloak it in an uninteresting, bland box like hotel.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

The first is just subjective opinion, and the second is something that has to be adhered to regardless of any letters to the council anyway.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good call Bozza but probably a good idea to focus on how the hotel complies with the Brighton and Lewes local plans? Otherwise the support is not necessarily of value I believe?

I don't think they will have any problems anyway, they just may need to modify the design a little?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Do you have a link to the report please? I couldn't find it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Done - trust they will make any required design changes to fit in better with surroundings.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Done.

If you want to support the club's planning application for a hotel and cancer unit to be built at the Amex, this is what you need to do:

1. Go here: http://ww3.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1199915&action=showDetail&application_number=BH2015%2F03285

2. Click on the “Comments” tab.

3. Scroll down and enter your name and additional details and then click on the “You support the planning application” radio button.

4. You may wish to make additional comments. If so, you may want to consider some of the following points as to why you support the application:

- It creates 82 full time jobs, all of whom will be employed by the Football Club
- It will generate £5.8 million for the local economy
- It will generate an estimated £314,000 in business rates, much of which now goes to the Local Authority and therefore can be used to supplement the cuts made by Central Government for social services, children’s centres, day care for the elderly etc.,
- It has attracted another global brand to the City – Starwood/Marriott is the largest hotel group in the world
- It will benefit 30 cancer patients a day. These patients have to have repeated treatments on a daily basis, and so will benefit from being able to visit a calming environment for their treatment
- It will support the Football Club, a vital part of the City
- if it does not go ahead the land will become a car park and not generate any of these benefits.

Nothing about another place to drink before games?:drink:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
At this stage, people would be better off writing to Members of the Planning Committee, particularly if it is one of your ward Members. You can find a list of Planning Committee Members on Brighton & Hove's website.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Done.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

As above the first point is subjective and the perceived harm caused by the hotel ultimately needs to be weighed against the employment and health care benefits. The second point in regards to S106 monies is subject to national tests of being reasonable and necessary to make the development acceptable, it would appear that the Club and Council disagree as to the amounts that are reasonable and necessary.

Without knowing the full facts of the case it is difficult to know the amount of back and forth there has been on the above points and justification provided, and whilst you are welcome to your opinion, I think you are being harsh on the Club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here