Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Building advice needed please

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
We're planning to take a wall down between the lounge and dining room and after getting a few quotes I wanted to turn to the wisdom of NSC to see if they are good / fair or awful. How much should this cost?

• Remove non load bearing chimey breast from 1st floor bedroom
  • Remove non load bearing chimney breast from ground floor dining room and lounge
  • Knock through wall and insert a steel to create an archway (steel not hidden in ceiling)
  • Plastering
  • Make good floor (to be covered)

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
We're planning to take a wall down between the lounge and dining room and after getting a few quotes I wanted to turn to the wisdom of NSC to see if they are good / fair or awful. How much should this cost?

• Remove non load bearing chimney breast from ground floor dining room and lounge
  • Knock through wall and insert a steel to create an archway (steel not hidden in ceiling)
  • Plastering

looking at about £2,800 happy to give you a quote cheers steve

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What's the difference between a chimey breast and a chimney breast? I'm hoping it's a huge one.

EDIT: Of course not the breast. Average size is fine.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What about the chimney? You can't leave that up if the breasts (snigger) are being removed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

• Plastering

Can recommend [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION] who has done work at mine and at a friends. Having not seen CG's post, I would have said you were looking close to £5k - quite a lot of demolitions there, carting away, making good etc.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Can recommend [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION] who has done work at mine and at a friends. Having not seen CG's post, I would have said you were looking close to £5k - quite a lot of demolitions there, carting away, making good etc.

think I must be to cheap scott ???

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

• Plastering

You'll probably need to speak to Building Control if you are forming an opening requiring a steel.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

• Plastering

I did something similar a few years back, as part of a bigger project though so the cost is no help. But for taking down the wall and inserting a steel, we had to apply for Building Regs and get a structural engineer involved to work out the size of the steel required and do the drawings etc. If my memory serves me correctly, there was also padstones involved in the supporting walls that the steel sat on, which again the structural engineer had to size up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I thought £5k was 'about £2800' when it's an estimate in the building trade ??

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
instead of a RSJ you could insert some 4x4

I know just the man,what's his name, O'Reilly :lol:

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
Sounds like you need some calculations done for steel and pads, especially if the steel is to support wall or floor/ceiling joists. I'm assuming the rest of the chimney has already been removed? I must admit I have seen a few left hanging in the roof space by other builders or propped up by a length of 4x2.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
What about the chimney? You can't leave that up if the breasts (snigger) are being removed.
I had this exact work done two years ago.
The builders 'braced' the chimney up in the loft.The brace had to be made especially for the job.A very messy job it was too but the results are superb, giving a larger living room and bedroom space.
My work cost me about 3k I think, but that also included another wall(hallway) being removed and an RSJ inserted, with quite a bit of plastering.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
We had the chimney taken off the roof and out of the loft space when the loft was converted, we just ran out of money to take it out of all the rooms. Wish we'd found the cash for the rest of the chimneys at the time as it would have been much cheaper.

Our friends had similar done with a bit less demolition for £1500 a few years ago so £2800 is much more what I expected / hoped for.

Would I save much money by doing the demolition and rubble removal of the chimney breasts myself? It would leave the knock through, steel and plastering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here