Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Q - Fluid viewing

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I see that the new Sky Q service is available to order now so thought I'd click through and see how much extra 'Fluid viewing' was going to cost me. Apparently £22 extra a month and £149 for a new box - I don't think I'll be going for that!

It does sound interesting though : http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q/overview/

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Been looking out for this - UHD ready is a big plus. WIll probably wait until all the probelms are out the way with the first batch then look at upgrading at the end of the year.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So from looking at their website I am still unsure what it is!

Looks like one of the main selling point sis being able to watch things on different devices and pause on one then restart on another?

As a catch up TV viewer with Sky go, iplayer etc. on all my devices would it actually benefit me?

I am a complete novice with these things

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems a lot of additional cost both monthly and one off for not a lot of useful extras. No doubt people who like to have the latest gizmo will jump in and rave about it. But recording 4 shows and wztching a 5th isnt really required given the amount of +1 channels and catch up tv. It may just be me but I dont see the point of being able to watch from where you stopped something on the tv to carry on from that point on another device why not just watch it later on the original one.

I'm out

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I agree [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] being able to record 4 progs whilst watching a 5th isn't really required these days with repeats etc.

Being able to watch recordings in another room easily was one of the things that we were interested in, but also sometimes the missus and I don't want to watch the same thing (shocking I know) so one of us is 'restricted' to not watching Sky/our recordings so the ability to get around that was tempting.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It also enables you to download recorded shows to portable devices - which current sky+ (and skygo app) doesn't allow you to do

Very much interested

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Ordered mine today and there installing 2nd March. For me the extra monthly cost is £1.50 as I already have their broadband and Sports, (and movies for 3 months over Xmas). I appreciate the one off cost to install but there are some pluses. The advantage for me was the ability to record and watch more than 2 channels at once plus as it also comes with apps and a built in fibre router I can declutter round my TV by getting rid of the current router and Humax freeview box. I'm also expecting to get a 4K TV later this year which will mean the UHD part will be useful.

I also cancelled BT Sport a couple of months back which saved me £23.99 a month so I'm actually going to be paying less monthly by over £22!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Ordered mine today and there installing 2nd March. For me the extra monthly cost is £1.50 as I already have their broadband and Sports, (and movies for 3 months over Xmas). I appreciate the one off cost to install but there are some pluses. The advantage for me was the ability to record and watch more than 2 channels at once plus as it also comes with apps and a built in fibre router I can declutter round my TV by getting rid of the current router and Humax freeview box. I'm also expecting to get a 4K TV later this year which will mean the UHD part will be useful.

I also cancelled BT Sport a couple of months back which saved me £23.99 a month so I'm actually going to be paying less monthly by over £22!

I already have Sky Sports and Broadband too as well as their telephone line. Did you have fibre already? Just trying to work out why your upgrade is cheaper than mine! :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The way Sky can get even more money out of gazillions of people (and they will) totally bewilders me

Sky are launching there own mobile network this year i believe.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I just logged into My Sky account to see how much they'd charge me for it....£71.25 EXTRA a month, on top of what I'm already paying! So I don't think I'll be going for it any time soon.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It would be £12.75 a month more for us to take the Q Silver option, it certainly appeals as its ready for when they launch UHD content as I've already got the TV. We don't have a second TV at the moment, but having the mini would be a good excuse to buy a smaller TV for the bedroom. Would have to pay the £150 install/upfront cost, but i've got a fairly new 2tb HD box that I could sell on and would cover at least half of that upfront price.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It would seem everything is done via your internet wireless connection. For me that is a problem as I pay for a second box for my Daughter, but she lives with the box in Cardiff!.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It would seem everything is done via your internet wireless connection. For me that is a problem as I pay for a second box for my Daughter, but she lives with the box in Cardiff!.

The mini boxes are via wi-fi or ethernet but the main box still uses a combination of satellite and internet. I doubt they will work on different wireless networks though so it wouldn't be any good for your current setup.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The mini boxes are via wi-fi or ethernet but the main box still uses a combination of satellite and internet. I doubt they will work on different wireless networks though so it wouldn't be any good for your current setup.

And I'm sure I'm not the only person who pays £15 (I think) for a second room subscription and gives the box to their kids who live elsewhere. Only problem she is under strict instructions NOT to plug in any internet.
And if you don't have a second box, why not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here