Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League Of Darts

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I was under the impression, but could be totally wrong, that this years BDO World Championship was going to be the last broadcast by the BBC?

Think BT are showing next years BDO World Championship providing they take sole TV rights as they shared with BBC and if they want it ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
So has Barry 'won' the day again?

A couple of years ago he offered to buy the BDO and run it as a feeder to the PDC, right across County and Super League darts format, they declined and in the most public and some might say dismissive (rude) fashion, this new tournament effectively knocks the BDO out of the BBC picture and was almost certainly privately in place before the last Lakeside World Darts.

A couple of years of this on the Beeb and Wolfie Adams, Ted the Count and the rest of the BDO mob will be a dim and distant memory with the Great British Public.

Maybe they should have let Hearn buy them out after all?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
So has Barry 'won' the day again?

A couple of years ago he offered to buy the BDO and run it as a feeder to the PDC, right across County and Super League darts format, they declined and in the most public and some might say dismissive (rude) fashion, this new tournament effectively knocks the BDO out of the BBC picture and was almost certainly privately in place before the last Lakeside World Darts.

A couple of years of this on the Beeb and Wolfie Adams, Ted the Count and the rest of the BDO mob will be a dim and distant memory with the Great British Public.

Maybe they should have let Hearn buy them out after all?

The Count who hasn't done anything since getting to The QF of The Grand Slam of Darts in 2013 will disappear quicker than that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is brilliant news. Finally the BBC gets to show the best darts players in the world and this sorry BDO World Championship charade will come to an end.

Maybe having cut the head off the snake the BDO might finally swallow their pride and merge their operation with the PDC, giving a proper top to bottom structure for darts.

Now is the time for common sense to prevail, for the good of the sport. There is already a global structure to world darts but it doesn't have the money or the top players. Barry Hearn could make it work.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No mention of this news on the BDO website, but they do mention the BDO Players Championship starting in just over 2 weeks has now been cancelled due to no TV deal being in place.

It is an amateur organisation that is holding the sport back. Shambles.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad to have PDC on normal tv but just another non ranked glorified exhibition with the same players playing the same matches against each other. I'd imagine even the players are sick of it just like the prem league glorified roadshow. They should have had a top 32 tourno for their first on BBC IMO...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Glad to have PDC on normal tv but just another non ranked glorified exhibition with the same players playing the same matches against each other. I'd imagine even the players are sick of it just like the prem league glorified roadshow. They should have had a top 32 tourno for their first on BBC IMO...

But from the PDC viewpoint they want to show the BBC audience the best 8 darts players in the world doing their thing in one weekend. That way, for the many hundreds of thousands that will not have watched darts on Sky, they will be won over quickly and decisively.
Much better to open up with Phil Taylor vs MIchael van Gerwen that a longer tournament with a 1st Round opener of, say, Justin Pipe vs Brendan Dolan.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But from the PDC viewpoint they want to show the BBC audience the best 8 darts players in the world doing their thing in one weekend. That way, for the many hundreds of thousands that will not have watched darts on Sky, they will be won over quickly and decisively.
Much better to open up with Phil Taylor vs MIchael van Gerwen that a longer tournament with a 1st Round opener of, say, Justin Pipe vs Brendan Dolan.

JP - he's a good mate of mine funnily enough & gets a lot of unprovoked abuse cos he throws slow ;) :lol:

Yes I know what you mean and why they've done it. But I wach darts on SKY anyway so I'm probably not who they're targeting with this. It has been on ITV for a few years now too so not quite sure how many 'new' watchers they'll get but I appreciate your points. Hearn knows what he's doing and it's all to do with the £s (always)...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
JP - he's a good mate of mine funnily enough & gets a lot of unprovoked abuse cos he throws slow ;) :lol:

Yes I know what you mean and why they've done it. But I wach darts on SKY anyway so I'm probably not who they're targeting with this. It has been on ITV for a few years now too so not quite sure how many 'new' watchers they'll get but I appreciate your points. Hearn knows what he's doing and it's all to do with the £s (always)...

I actually like JP - great character but his slow style will always count against him. VVdV gets touted for Prem League inclusion partly because he's so fast when he's done no better than Pipe.

I wonder what time slot / channel the BBC will give this event? ITV will often tuck their darts coverage away on ITV3 or ITV4 so I'm not convinced darts has been given that mass-market audience it would benefit from.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I actually like JP - great character but his slow style will always count against him. VVdV gets touted for Prem League inclusion partly because he's so fast when he's done no better than Pipe.

I wonder what time slot / channel the BBC will give this event? ITV will often tuck their darts coverage away on ITV3 or ITV4 so I'm not convinced darts has been given that mass-market audience it would benefit from.

Yeh he's a top fella but people assume he's boring cos of his style - he had to adapt his throw cos of a car accident which is what many don't know.. I'd like a prime time slot on the Beeb if they're going to do it properly!

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing

Dennis Priestley was also a very slow player but never seemed to get any abuse. Watched him at Brighton Centre and could get around of drinks in between his throws lol

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dennis Priestley was also a very slow player but never seemed to get any abuse. Watched him at Brighton Centre and could get around of drinks in between his throws lol

Yeh - its Bizaare. I've watched lots of JPs matches at players champs & the worlds for years and he's a great player to watch as his darts go in at a lovely angle. Sad I know, but lucky enough to watch all players up close! There's no normal way to throw a dart but the trolls seem to like to have a pop at slow players..!

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Yeh - its Bizaare. I've watched lots of JPs matches at players champs & the worlds for years and he's a great player to watch as his darts go in at a lovely angle. Sad I know, but lucky enough to watch all players up close! There's no normal way to throw a dart but the trolls seem to like to have a pop at slow players..!

Perhaps darts fans these day think slow play is gamesmanship and they intend to do it whereas its their natural game. Think a lot of players who get abuse (Manley, King , Hankey etc) get it as they are known to react where as Pipe hardly reacts though can remember him last time I saw him speed up his game and virtually give up which was unlike him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here