Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radical changes in DS coaching?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Propping up the league 2 with just 1 win and 5 draws. With our facilities and recruitment team why are we so, so bad? Our kids should be pressing on now...who's to blame?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think anyone imagined the academy would be churning out players instantly to compete in that league, that said not sure how much pedigree is around the DS in terms of coaching

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You cannot blame the coaches if what they are coaching arent up to the stadard of the other clubs but we are signing hopefully better future prospects.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Pressing on after 1 season when we are playing clubs with established academies? Give it a rest.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Actually IMO one benefit with the end of the emergency loan system,next season,will be having members of the under 21s stepping up to the first team,to cover injuries ...........( Or clubs just have a couple of "Play anywhere "players !!!! )

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Discussed on this thread last week http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?333302-Coaching-set-up-of-development-squad

They've only been playing at this standard for two years, it's going to take a while until the Academy gets established and the better players filter through. You can't go from 20 years of playing against Gillingham and Colchester to playing against Arsenal, Derby Vila etc. and expect a magic wand to be waved and start beating the established academies. Also the league position isn't even that important, the only thing that matters is producing players who make the 1st team.

How do people manage to misunderstand this so much? :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The prime objective for the DS is to provide the 1st team squad with players not to win games. It's obviously important the team starts winning and getting results but lets judge it after the next transfer window when loans will be outlawed and the 1st team will need to dip into the DS when injuries or suspensions occur.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The prime objective for the DS is to provide the 1st team squad with players not to win games.

If ever the use of a semi-colon (I think - I'm not the grammar police) could change a sentence... This is it!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The prime objective for the DS is to provide the 1st team squad with players not to win games. It's obviously important the team starts winning and getting results but lets judge it after the next transfer window when loans will be outlawed and the 1st team will need to dip into the DS when injuries or suspensions occur.
How can it be good for any young player to pretty much always be on the losing side ? ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read this weekend that FIFA have said no more loan windows but the FL are appealing the decision and still hopeful of keeping it. Dont know who they appeal to. Perhaps they need the major FAs of Europe to be on their side and also request it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You only improve by playing against better teams. We will improve quickly. You could say the same about hammering teams 6-0 every week, what do those players really learn??

Thats clearly not true, you do not automatically improve at a greater rate if you are playing within an inferior team compared to your opponents.

It might be true to say that you need to play against teams of a comparable level and at times test yourself against those that might be considered better, but you have to find a level in which you can compete regularly which is similar to your own.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If ever the use of a semi-colon (I think - I'm not the grammar police) could change a sentence... This is it!

I was going to suggest a comma, because I think semi-colons are over- and incorrectly used -- which just makes me one who has entered the grammar constabulary. Apt spot though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was going to suggest a comma, because I think semi-colons are over- and incorrectly used -- which just makes me one who has entered the grammar constabulary. Apt spot though.

Correct, a comma was the missing component!

Quite right! Could even be a case for a full colon, for greater emphasis, imho.

I wrote comma at first but then thought I don't want to look like I'm being a smart arse and get it wrong at the same time :lol:

It's been a while since my English A-Level I'm afraid - and I'm not the grammar police - I always use these things - - - - -

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wrote comma at first but then thought I don't want to look like I'm being a smart arse and get it wrong at the same time :lol:

It's been a while since my English A-Level I'm afraid - and I'm not the grammar police - I always use these things - - - - -
I just hope they're drumming real proper grammar into those young men in the DS! It is supposed to be an academy after all, isn't it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I read this weekend that FIFA have said no more loan windows but the FL are appealing the decision and still hopeful of keeping it. Dont know who they appeal to. Perhaps they need the major FAs of Europe to be on their side and also request it.

Fifa originally ordered the scrapping of the loan window at the end of the 2013-14 season, the FL have twice managed to extend this deadline to allow emergency loans in the 2014-15 and 15-16 seasons. I cannot find anything online about a further extension for next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here