Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] War & Peace.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have started to watch BBC's adaption of W&P, which is quite a good watch.
Has anyone else watched it?
If so, having done so, is it anything like the book if you have read it?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I watched all the episodes, but haven't read the book. I enjoyed the tv adaptation, so would now like to read the book.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I enjoyed it immensely but it's nothing like the book. The 1972 BBC adaptation was more faithful to it - and that one also benefits from Anthony Hopkins' fantastic Pierre.

The new version is visually stunning but misses out huge chunks of the book. In particular, it misses out out on Pierre's development, much of the book is about him trying to find meaning in his life and there's no real sense of that in this version.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I enjoyed it immensely but it's nothing like the book. The 1972 BBC adaptation was more faithful to it - and that one also benefits from Anthony Hopkins' fantastic Pierre.

The new version is visually stunning but misses out huge chunks of the book. In particular, it misses out out on Pierre's development, much of the book is about him trying to find meaning in his life and there's no real sense of that in this version.

I did pick up on that from Pierre trying Freemasonry, and philanthropy. He also paid credit to the prisoner who was with him in the last episode.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have started to watch BBC's adaption of W&P, which is quite a good watch.
Has anyone else watched it?
If so, having done so, is it anything like the book if you have read it?

Yes I watched it, absolutely superb it was too. Obviously the content needed to be seriously condensed from it's original book form into a mini-series of just six episodes.

It made for some pretty grim, but totally compelling viewing. Amazing cast list too, Adrian Edmondson isn't exactly renowned for playing roles nearly as serious as this, but he was truly excellent as Count Ilya Rostov.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

could not have put it better
and anyone wishing to read the book hope you have plenty of time on your hands .................its huge

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it was probably the best thing we have seen on TV for a long time. I remember back in the 60's, there was a film version which was split into two( a bit like the last Harry Potter) which had a lot of the battles and such scenes in one and the stories of the aristocrats on the other.

Singing in a choir, the music was just magnificent! The basso profundo in the passages from Rachmaninov and Borodin around the battle scenes and the vespers in the count's funeral sung by the mini choir brought a tear to my eye. There is nothing better than standing in front of a really good Basso P, any you can feel your heart vibrating in your chest! If you like that sort of music, can I recommend Rachmaninov Solemn Vespers...truly mind blowingly beautiful and moving.

Sunday night of countryfile, followed by the brilliant call the midwife and then war and peace was excellent TV.

I have just started the book btw.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I enjoyed it.. I read the book many years back, I have forgotten the details but huge chunks lost in the screenplay. However, if their brief was to tell one of the longest novels in 6 episodes, they did well.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Yes I watched it, absolutely superb it was too. Obviously the content needed to be seriously condensed from it's original book form into a mini-series of just six episodes.

It made for some pretty grim, but totally compelling viewing. Amazing cast list too, Adrian Edmondson isn't exactly renowned for playing roles nearly as serious as this, but he was truly excellent as Count Ilya Rostov.

I thought him the weak link. Nothing worse than watching someone acting and not being able to escape the knowledge that they are acting, if that makes sense, everyone else was superb though, great cast and easy on the eye, both the men and the women ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did pick up on that from Pierre trying Freemasonry, and philanthropy. He also paid credit to the prisoner who was with him in the last episode.

The scenes with Platon are crucial and the book makes much more of them - but the BBC version did recognise it was one of the pivotal parts of the book.

In defence of the adaptation, there are some incredibly boring parts in the book that have fallen by the wayside (and several characters too). In last night's episode, Pierre announces that it's his destiny to kill Napoleon - there's one sentence in the programme, there's a load of waffle in the novel (including a digression on numerology). I think the TV take is bit too abrupt but better that than half an episode of Pierre's inner turmoil

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agree with all of the above.
Enjoyed the TV but won't be reading the book any time soon .....

The link in history is also interesting since it was Wellington in 1815 at Waterloo who finally defeated Napoleon and the French who's Grande Armee had been decimated during their retreat from Moscow in 1812 thanks to the Russians scorched earth policy. This phase in history is considered by many to be the point when most of today's European country boundaries were set [acknowledged there have been some changes since]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I really enjoyed the TV series It was great Sunday viewing. Once again the BBC delivering a great Drama.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought him the weak link. Nothing worse than watching someone acting and not being able to escape the knowledge that they are acting, if that makes sense, everyone else was superb though, great cast and easy on the eye, both the men and the women ;)

I agree with you. Edmondson looked like a League 1 player in a Premier League side - not bad but outclassed by those around him.

The series has inspired me to try and read the novel. You do get the sense of the futility of war and the fragility of life and the series achieved as much as it could have hoped to achieve in a mere 6 episodes. I wish it had been 12 episodes to do the novel full justice but there we go.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree with all of the above.
Enjoyed the TV but won't be reading the book any time soon .....

The link in history is also interesting since it was Wellington in 1815 at Waterloo who finally defeated Napoleon and the French who's Grande Armee had been decimated during their retreat from Moscow in 1812 thanks to the Russians scorched earth policy. This phase in history is considered by many to be the point when most of today's European country boundaries were set [acknowledged there have been some changes since]

....and of course, Wellington was actually losing the battle quite heavily until blucher and the Prussians arrived late in the afternoon.

There is a really good book by cornwell about the battle released last year I believe. There was so many twists and turns that Waterloo was just a point in Belgium that actually suited napoleon more due to the proximity to his supply lines.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I thought it was the best thing on TV for some time (apart from our televised dismantling of Brentford on Friday night of course). The filming, music, acting was amazing. Lily James didn't penetrate my subconscious as such but I'd like to penetrate her. Very hard to adapt a book of that length into 6 hours of screenplay but I thought it was done well and the 5th episode was stunning with appropriate historical references. I expect the BBC will be able to flog it to many other countries and make their money back on it numerous times over.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought it was the best thing on TV for some time (apart from our televised dismantling of Brentford on Friday night of course). The filming, music, acting was amazing. Lily James didn't penetrate my subconscious as such but I'd like to penetrate her. Very hard to adapt a book of that length into 6 hours of screenplay but I thought it was done well and the 5th episode was stunning with appropriate historical references. I expect the BBC will be able to flog it to many other countries and make their money back on it numerous times over.

Indeed. For Shirley Maclaine read Gillian Anderson = North American market.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cracking stuff. Looked a very big budget production I thought. As for that Lily James - well, goodness me! I don't usually go for this sort of Sunday night classics stuff but the wife persuaded me and I was hooked. Look out for lots of BAFTAS................and well deserved.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
There are some really interesting themes in the book that never emerged on tv. There's one section where Tolstoy asks why history always focuses on the actions of a handful of emperors, kings, and generals. Whereas history really depends on the actions of everybody - the collective action of every soldier, peasant, farmer etc.
The real beauty of the book is that it contrasts the individual stories of his collection of characters with the whole emerging story of European history..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here