Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Future Albion legends in the present squad

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I was thinking about previous Albion legends, Ward, Foster, Cullip Kuipers et al

Which of of the present squad could become elevated to that status? That assumes they stay with the Club and earn the fans' respect and affection over the seasons

For me the candidates are;

Zamora - already there clearly
Kaz - probably also there already
Solly - if he recovers and stays
Stockdale
Knocky - if we can keep him
Goldson

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I was thinking about previous Albion legends, Ward, Foster, Cullip Kuipers et al

Which of of the present squad could become elevated to that status? That assumes they stay with the Club and earn the fans' respect and affection over the seasons

Stockdale
Goldson

Calde?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Stockdale
Goldson

Didn't you post the same thing a couple of weeks ago?

Anyway in answer to your question.

As above if we go up, all in some way will become legends. The rest should really be decided over time.

I am not sure how you can have Kaz and Goldson, but not include Dunk, Greer, Calde, Bruno.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Zamora - already there clearly, yep
Kaz - probably also there already, Really? Decent winger on his day but legend?
Solly - if he recovers and stays, See above. Half a season doesn't a legend make.
Stockdale, He could be, but not yet.
Knocky - if we can keep him See above.
Goldson. Early days but a promising young centre half, excellent signing, but isn't there yet. Far too recent a signing.

So only Zamora from your list. If the criteria is 'respect and affection over the seasons' I'd suggest Calderon deserves to be there,

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Legend is a word thats banded around far to often.

Lua Lua is no where near being a club legend. Zamora on the other hand.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Zamora and Calderon already are.

Stockdale could be.
Kayal and Knockaert would become so almost certainly if they were here for long enough, which they probably won't be.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
One for the previous forgotten legends.

Nicky Forster 98 apps 40 goals. Not bad considering how awful we were at the time. Plus, he scored the goal which saved us from relegation back to the bottom tier.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As far as I'm concerned a legend has to have a few seasons at the club and either be a catalyst for improving our situation, promotion or turning our fortune around (Zamora), or a consistent performer who remains in the side for a long time who just gets the job done and outlives all of his potential replacement signings (Kuipers).

Current squad possibly:
Calderon
Greer
Lualua
Zamora (already on the list)

If we get promotion than the following may be added to the list for their impact on the team
Stockdale
Kayal
Knockaert

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Legend is a word thats banded around far to often.

Agreed. It's a bit like players being called "world class". In my book that means the best player in their position in the world. So there ain't many of them, despite what you read in the press or hear on Sky.

A legend is someone so good over a long period of time who becomes part of folklore. So Zamora, yes; the rest are just a bunch of maybes.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Zamora obviously because he already is
Calde
Bruno

Stockdale to be remembered with great affection but not quite legend

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Surely any of them have the potential to be legends after a few more years.

But also If O'Grady suffered an injury and was returned to us only to recover in time for our final game of the season and he scores the goal against Boro that clinches the title and the promotion to the premier league would he not get legend status

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surely any of them have the potential to be legends after a few more years.

But also If O'Grady suffered an injury and was returned to us only to recover in time for our final game of the season and he scores the goal against Boro that clinches the title and the promotion to the premier league would he not get legend status

Hmmm. What if CH brought L 'patently not' Best in on emergency loan and he did that ?

Anyway........'Legend' should be reserved for the best of the best.......

BZ - already is
Calde - must be close if not already there. Scoring with his face in the play-off final to send us up would probably do it. He loves this club.
Almost anyone else - could be, if they stay long enough, contribute enough, say all the right things etc bjut the likes of Knocky are miles away at the moment for me. Leading the potentials - Bruno (longevity, improved with age, flair, beard) and Stockdale (general attitude, post-Shoreham actions and turning into a very good keeper - 5 years+ of this needed though).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here