Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats more important to you Result or entertainment

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought until Saturday I was in latter camp and even if we lost, although disappointed as long as I was entertained I went home contented. I think this division is very good standard and in general good opposition players to watch as well.
Hovever on Saturday once we were 2.0 up, Brighton were very poor, I strangely found myself accepting the tactic of 100% protecting our lead.
I now realise that first half of season I want to be entertained and if later in season, like now, challenging for play offs etc, the result is be-and end-all

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I thought until Saturday I was in latter camp and even if we lost, although disappointed as long as I was entertained I went home contented. I think this division is very good standard and in general good opposition players to watch as well.
Hovever on Saturday once we were 2.0 up, Brighton were very poor, I strangely found myself accepting the tactic of 100% protecting our lead.
I now realise that first half of season I want to be entertained and if later in season, like now, challenging for play offs etc, the result is be-and end-all

Result, every time.

Conversely, I thought we were superb once we had taken a 2-0 lead against Brentford. Yes ok, so we could have thrown caution to the wind, gone for the jugular, and tried to increase our goal tally, but to me, the only important thing at that stage, was ensuring that we collected all three points from the game.

So I was more than pleased to see a safety first plan being implemented, and Crofts and Sidwell coming off the bench to reinforce midfield, and protect our lead.

Yes ok, it would be wonderful to win by playing all out attacking, entertaining football, but given a choice, then the result is everything.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Result, every time shirley, unless you're terminally prone to happy-clappyness in which case you'll probably go away from the game feeling good about yourself because you've twirled your scarf to the pre-KO muppet show and applauded the away fans towards the end.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A good performance is scant consolation if you lose. Of course we all want to win in style but it's the 3 points that matter.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Result.

Cinemas, Theatres and numerous other activities provide the pure entertainment.

11357952_1585834688344529_434392634_n.jpg

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I'm still at a loss as to why people believe we were poor second half on Friday. I thought it was classic counter attacking football. With the pace and directness of Wilson and Knockaert it was clearly the right thing to do. We didn't need to chase the game or make the running, simply pick them off which we did affectively. We could have scored more on the break and they didn't look like scoring at all. All it cost us was a little possession.

Manure and Alex Ferguson won countless games and trophies off the back of counter attacking football. To me, its another string to our bow.

And in answer to your question... RESULTS!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
They're not mutually exclusive you know.. Poyet's 2012–13 season, when he guided us to 4th. That was incredible. Total entertainment and consistent results.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Result. Winning is entertaining. But yes, some of the wins under Poyet were pure magic. And indeed, they were under Adams, Taylor, Hughton and even Russell Slade.

its hard to win without being entertaining, not consistently

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Entertainment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm still at a loss as to why people believe we were poor second half on Friday

Because we gormlessly sat back in the second half and invited Brentford to score. If they'd been any cop, they would have done so. It would then have been Albion panic stations, and we'd have been lucky to cling on to a 2-2. Try watching what you're seeing. Albion second half was in the main pathetic aimless hoofball to the sickly kid up front.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They're not mutually exclusive you know.. Poyet's 2012–13 season, when he guided us to 4th. That was incredible. Total entertainment and consistent results.

I agree, but would suggest 2010/11 when we footballed our League One opponents to breakdowns, would be a much better example, than 12/13 when we drew too many games through lack of commitment to attack.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It depends on league position and other recent results.

It's no good being entertained and losing every week.

If we are midtable, entertainment wins.

If we are going for promotion, the win is more important.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Result, every time shirley, unless you're terminally prone to happy-clappyness in which case you'll probably go away from the game feeling good about yourself because you've twirled your scarf to the pre-KO muppet show and applauded the away fans towards the end.

I don't necessarily agree with that but you've worded it so beautifully I'm inclined to. :lolol: :lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I agree, but would suggest 2010/11 when we footballed our League One opponents to breakdowns, would be a much better example, than 12/13 when we drew too many games through lack of commitment to attack.

Ah yes, what a season that was. We were superb :bowdown: literally dismantled teams.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Because we gormlessly sat back in the second half and invited Brentford to score. If they'd been any cop, they would have done so. It would then have been Albion panic stations, and we'd have been lucky to cling on to a 2-2. Try watching what you're seeing. Albion second half was in the main pathetic aimless hoofball to the sickly kid up front.

There was nothing gormless about sitting back the way that we did.
Brentford have scored 23 goals away from home this season, so they 'were any cop' as you phrase it. Sometimes, Mr Hark, you don't give Brighton enough credit for being good. We restricted them to just one shot on target (and that was in the first half).

Jan 30, 2008

ITS ALL ABOUT THE PRICE TAG
regards
DR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Winning is entertaining, losing is not.

Would I rather win in an entertaining way, yes, but winning is the first bit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was nothing gormless about sitting back the way that we did.
Brentford have scored 23 goals away from home this season, so they 'were any cop' as you phrase it. Sometimes, Mr Hark, you don't give Brighton enough credit for being good. We restricted them to just one shot on target (and that was in the first half).

Sorry. Mr Bolt, but we got away with it in the second half (and to a certain extent in the first half) due to Brentford's lack of luck. Our defence is still full of holes that any half-decent side could exploit .3-0 flattered us. Little point in avoiding trying to be at least a wee bit objective about these things.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016

You actually think hughton is gormless?? You actually believe that it was not the most sensible , well - executed ganeplan given the situation?

Blimey. I think you may be the gormless one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here