Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random question that popped into my head - who was the first non UK born Albion player?

For many years now the fact that most clubs have some non UK born players is very much the norm. But who was the first Albion player not to originate from one of the "home" nations? I saw the light and started following the Albion in January '83 and the first one I can recall is the legendary Hans "is Evil" Kraay (even though he only made 23 appearances according to Wikipedia). But was he the first?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect you might have to go back to the club's early days. Bound to be someone born somewhere else in the British Empire who turned out in the stripes. :shrug:

Edit: mention of Denis Foreman is interesting. I never saw him play for Albion but I did see him play for Sussex Martlets in the very early 1960's. Although David Busby is usually credited with being Albion's first black player in the early 70's I can definitely confirm that Foreman was not "white" but rather what was then termed "Cape coloured" so predates Busby for that honour by 20+ years.

Last edited:

Thanks BG �� interesting article from 2012 in the Telegraph about him, unfortunately tablet won't let me attach link. Possibly may still be around and I am sure he had some interesting tales to tell

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Moshe Gariani may have been our first non UK (or Ireland) international. Although he only played one match for us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mr Albion himself, Charlie Webb, was born in Ireland (and was an Irish international) but Ireland was part of the UK when he was born

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I suspect you might have to go back to the club's early days. Bound to be someone born somewhere else in the British Empire who turned out in the stripes. :shrug:

Edit: mention of Denis Foreman is interesting. I never saw him play for Albion but I did see him play for Sussex Martlets in the very early 1960's. Although David Busby is usually credited with being Albion's first black player in the early 70's I can definitely confirm that Foreman was not "white" but rather what was then termed "Cape coloured" so predates Busby for that honour by 20+ years.

First non-white South African to play first class cricket in England as well, 8 years before Basil D'Oliveira.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...South-African-to-play-cricket-in-England.html

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Had a look through Carder and Harris's book and found the answer. If you take Ireland out of the reckoning, then the first one was Maltese-born George Leach, a forward who played in the 1904/05 season.

If you want the first non-Commonwealth/Empire player, it was one Felix Bojar, a Polish left back, who played for the Albion in the war years. He was closely followed by his compatriot Bishek Szajna-Stankowski.

If you want the first peacetime non-Commonwealth player, my guess is Wilf Smith but I haven't look at the C&H book to confirm that

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you want the first non-Commonwealth/Empire player, it was one Felix Bojar, a Polish left back, who played for the Albion in the war years. He was closely followed by his compatriot Bishek Szajna-Stankowski.

Lots of local RAF bases had Polish pilots & ground crew and (HMS) King Alfred housed the navy bomb disposal squad which contained a number of Poles. Suspect our players came from those sources.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here