Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you or have you been a qualified ref?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I qualified as a ref in 1959 but hated it so packed it in by 1960/61, when in the army. The only reason I did it was we had to do an evening class and football referee was one of the options for classes.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No. But I check the laws of the game every year, and think I am able to be subjective about most decision. I'm sure I slip occasionally. But I've lost count of the number of times I've sat in the amex, seen a good referee decision met with howls of injustice from people around me and sat there knowing it was right.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Got to county league standard, but gave up about 6/7 years ago.

It means I can interpret decisions some people don't understand, but some things still baffle me. Like the foul given against Sidwell, which I can only assume was for breathing heavily on the full-back, and yet Ridgewell didn't get a foul despite ending up 8 rows back in the North stand after being shoved in the back.

I assure you I give refs and assisstants plenty during games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If so, are you more subjective about some of the decisions made by the refs in Albion games - or are all refs still winkers ???

I'm not and never have been a qualified ref but I think I have a good understanding of the laws of the game having played and watched for over 40 years. I give refs a hard time not because they make mistakes but because of their inconsistencies in applying the laws. An example would be booking players for time wasting in the 87th minute when they have been doing the same thing for the previous 40 50 or whatever. There are plenty of other examples.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It means I can interpret decisions some people don't understand, but some things still baffle me. Like the foul given against Sidwell, which I can only assume was for breathing heavily on the full-back, and yet Ridgewell didn't get a foul despite ending up 8 rows back in the North stand after being shoved in the back.

I thought exactly the same about the Sidwell incident but someone who I guess was in the North suggested it was an elbow in the face which didn't show on tv, or to me in the WSL

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Running the line years ago was bad enough for me at under 18 county league. Still at least in those days the lino's made there own minds up on throw ins, etc rather than waiting for the ref to decide which way to give the decisions and then put the flag up, which seems to happen a lot at games today.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Sidwell raised his right arm across the defender's face.

Clear foul.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Yes qualified aged 16 but was a better player than ref, probably a better support than ref. Though I do know how hard it can be to make instant decisions and always be right. So I cut them some slack.....most of the time.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I am a qualified ref thought haven't reffed for a few years.

It certainly makes me more sympathetic to refs; they make mistakes and should not get crucified for doing so; as a fan it is frustrating when decisions go against your team, but that is part of the game just as mistakes by defenders, howlers by keepers and glaring misses by forwards are. I do find it irritating when managers focus on the one decision they disagree in a game yet ignore (publicly) the errors of their team. CH is excellent about that, one of the most understanding of managers.

On NSC, there are two myths that constantly get perpetrated 1) that you can't foul a player who does not have control of the ball (see recent thread from Brentofrod game, for example). As a ref, I used to point out to captains before the game, as it seems to be such a common myth; 2) that there is such a thing as 100% certainty about any situation. "Nailed on ", "definitely", "100%" etc often are quoted in a situation where it is not appropriate - it is ALWAYS a balance of probability.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Fair enough, I'm in the north east corner so didn't see that.

But should have been a foul on Ridgewell, and Stockdale got booked for having a go at the ref about it.

Stockdale should have been booked despite it being a foul. You don't get to berate the ref and wander off with the ball because you don't like a decision. The one thing I wish refs would deal with more often. Mouthing off at a ref should be an instant booking.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stockdale should have been booked despite it being a foul. You don't get to berate the ref and wander off with the ball because you don't like a decision. The one thing I wish refs would deal with more often. Mouthing off at a ref should be an instant booking.

Spot on. Was about to post the same. Stockdale pretty much forced the ref to book him.

In fact he could have booked him three times earlier in the incident - for rushing across to shout in the linesman's face, or for putting the ball down to take a free kick that he knew full well had not been given, or for shooting at him - before finally snapping once he walked away with the ball.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thought exactly the same about the Sidwell incident but someone who I guess was in the North suggested it was an elbow in the face which didn't show on tv, or to me in the WSL

If the ref thought it was an elbow in the face then why wasn't Sidwell booked?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Spot on. Was about to post the same. Stockdale pretty much forced the ref to book him.

In fact he could have booked him three times earlier in the incident - for rushing across to shout in the linesman's face, or for putting the ball down to take a free kick that he knew full well had not been given, or for shooting at him - before finally snapping once he walked away with the ball.

I think shooting at a linesman may even merit a red card.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I qualified when I was 14, then had to give it up because university took priority about four years ago. Stuck at level 7 and didn't go for promotion, but must have reffed the best part of 300 separate matches and small-sided tournaments in those six years. I had my fair share of horrible games, and of course it's only ever the minoirty of shitty games that linger in the memory.

No, I never abuse the refs, at any level. They have a hard enough job as it is, they are human and make mistakes. Mistakes that occasionally do prove costly, but always going to be a fact of life in a game. They almost universally have my respect...except one or two cases where they are a little bit - erm - "stuck-up" and think a little too highly of themselves. This arrogance I have no time for, but generally referees are humble and accept they will make mistakes. Unless they're corrupt, they have nothing to gain from giving controversial decisions.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I thought Stockdale got booked because he thought it was a free kick and went out to take it from where Ridgewell was shoved - the ref then thinking he was time wasting! Stockdale then berated the assistant ref for not indicating that it was not a foul clearly!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here