Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reason for our good run...?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think it was 99% true that Hughton gave the players a right dressing down after the Rotherham game (I can't find the tweet from the journo but pretty sure it's true).

Rotherham was the first game our squad looked more complete than the previous month & probably the worst result of the season in the end. It's pretty clear the catalyst for our 4 defeats in 5 was injuries & tiredness but we needed to get out of that losing habit..

Hughton seems a very calm fella. Could this be one of the few times he laid into the players and gave them a wake up call - seems to me he's played a blinder...:clap2:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Believe so. He mentioned it again post match on Saturday. Saying how well the squad had done even through the bad spell, followed by apart from Rotherham, where it was the only game this year he could fault the attitude and work rate of the team. I think this was the one time he's lost it with them. Maybe he's incredibly scary when he's angry but things have improved a lot since then

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More wingers less whingers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The other factor is Anthony Knockaert. Dragging the team up to his level with pure class and hard work.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Maybe it had something to do with signing Ridgewell and having a player in the side everyone else was confident in and not adjusting their own game to ensure they covered for a weak link at left back.

Since he's been here we've seen much better performance from Dunk, Bruno and Murphy plus the addition of Knockart has transformed our form

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe it had something to do with signing Ridgewell and having a player in the side everyone else was confident in and not adjusting their own game to ensure they covered for a weak link at left back.

Since he's been here we've seen much better performance from Dunk, Bruno and Murphy plus the addition of Knockart has transformed our form

But if the team had a recognized (old) left back instead of Ridgewell it wouldn't have conceded a quite frankly appalling 5 goals in the last 7 league matches.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
But if the team had a recognized (old) left back instead of Ridgewell it wouldn't have conceded a quite frankly appalling 5 goals in the last 7 league matches.

My observation is that although Calderon never seemed to be a weak link the rest of the team seemed to be covering and supporting him in a way that restricted their own game.

Since Ridgewell has been in we've played as a team in a way that shows freedom to play. He hasn't done anything exceptional but has allowed others to perform

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I think it was 99% true that Hughton gave the players a right dressing down after the Rotherham game (I can't find the tweet from the journo but pretty sure it's true).

Rotherham was the first game our squad looked more complete than the previous month & probably the worst result of the season in the end. It's pretty clear the catalyst for our 4 defeats in 5 was injuries & tiredness but we needed to get out of that losing habit..

Hughton seems a very calm fella. Could this be one of the few times he laid into the players and gave them a wake up call - seems to me he's played a blinder...:clap2:

Why does Tiredness keep on coming into the equasion ? A player is only tired if he is unfit or has been on the pxss all night or is unfit for some reason or other, the the manager sorts him out, he certainly does not play him.
Tiredness keeps on cropping up, but I don't go along with it.
For all you clever boys, please note that I have included " or other" to cover all the other reasons.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Nowadays with the GPS and Prozone statistical analytics that the club use to monitor our players fitness levels, there is proof that a player playing two games a week will have around a 20% drop off in the second game. Not in terms of distance travelled, more the intensity and amount of sprints etc. Tiredness is a factor in modern football but perhaps not the way that we as fans perceive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nowadays with the GPS and Prozone statistical analytics that the club use to monitor our players fitness levels, there is proof that a player playing two games a week will have around a 20% drop off in the second game. Not in terms of distance travelled, more the intensity and amount of sprints etc. Tiredness is a factor in modern football but perhaps not the way that we as fans perceive.
The next 4 games are all about rotation.

2 from Crofts, Sidwell, Kayal, Stephens
2 from Murphy, Lua Lua, Knockaert, Skalak
2 from Dunk, Goldson, Greer
2 from Wilson, Zamora, Hemed, Baldock

Ridgewell for Bolton, then Calderon ( maybe then Bong / Rosenior back )

Bruno
Stockdale

An injury to Calderon or Bruno would be a big problem, I think a 28 day left back signing is virtually certain on Feb 9th.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why does Tiredness keep on coming into the equasion ? A player is only tired if he is unfit or has been on the pxss all night or is unfit for some reason or other, the the manager sorts him out, he certainly does not play him.
For all you clever boys, please note that I have included " or other" to cover all the other reasons.

Because you have a squad in the championship & tend to rotate it a bit. 23 games is a lot (4 more than prem). And we had so many key injuries that we didn't have the quality to rotate. Also worth nothing it was over Xmas. I'd say Kayal & Stephens were both in need of a rest - remember the Xmas schedule...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The next 4 games are all about rotation.

2 from Crofts, Sidwell, Kayal, Stephens
2 from Murphy, Lua Lua, Knockaert, Skalak
2 from Dunk, Goldson, Greer
2 from Wilson, Zamora, Hemed, Baldock

Ridgewell for Bolton, then Calderon ( maybe then Bong / Rosenior back )

Bruno
Stockdale

An injury to Calderon or Bruno would be a big problem, I think a 28 day left back signing is virtually certain on Feb 9th.

When does Ridgewells loan end - after Bolton? I thought we were looking to extend it and assume we will be but it's gone quiet..?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
When does Ridgewells loan end - after Bolton? I thought we were looking to extend it and assume we will be but it's gone quiet..?
It ends after Bolton, and would have needed to be extended before the transfer window ended ( international loans arn't handled by the loan window ).

There is a very small chance that an extension was agreed, and it hasn't been announced, but I doubt it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It ends after Bolton, and would have needed to be extended before the transfer window ended ( international loans arn't handled by the loan window ).

There is a very small chance that an extension was agreed, and it hasn't been announced, but I doubt it.

Oh balls. I don't think Ridgewell is that good at LB but at least is left footed.. it's gonna be tough in those 3 aways assume Bong isn't back which I can't see happening...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

They're professional athletes, what you're describing is a Sunday league team. At this level players are so highly tuned now that any drop below the optimum level is going to be noticeable, teams probably have to carry one or two players all the time because of fatigue or a slight knock but when it's half the team it's going to make a difference.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh balls. I don't think Ridgewell is that good at LB but at least is left footed.. it's gonna be tough in those 3 aways assume Bong isn't back which I can't see happening...
I agree, but Hughton is being very vague about when Bong will return. I don't expect anything will be left to chance, which is why I am supposing that a left back will be signed on a 28 day loan at the start of the loan window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

My observation is that although Calderon never seemed to be a weak link the rest of the team seemed to be covering and supporting him in a way that restricted their own game.

Since Ridgewell has been in we've played as a team in a way that shows freedom to play. He hasn't done anything exceptional but has allowed others to perform

That has been the difference with Calderon and to a certain extent Rosenior at left back we looked and played as an unbalanced team and with Murphy receiving the balls inside the full back every time he ws unable to attack the back outside down the line which he did against Brentford and we reaped the benefits.

I hope that we dont have to go into the Hull game with Calderon at left back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope that we dont have to go into the Hull game with Calderon at left back.

We will. Unless Bong is fitter than the club is letting on, or we sign another short term loan for a left back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here