Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Any news on what is going on with Sam?

No one seems to have asked the question in recent press conferences.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The club tend to be very secretive about injuries and recovery times, have been since we arrived at the Amex, no news is generally bad news though.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Oh No, you'll wake up all the 'get rid ' dullards.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We only have space for 6 outfield players on the bench. Wilson and KLL were our 2 attacking subs.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sure he was in frame for Bolton along with Greer. With Jiri as well be tough just to make the bench. Going to be 2-3 senior players not in the 18

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We only have space for 6 outfield players on the bench. Wilson and KLL were our 2 attacking subs.
I'll always remember a rant from (I believe) Warnock regarding a manager who was foolish enough to not name a keeper as one of his 5 subs (prior to being 7) as it was guaranteed to be the one time they'd be injured/sent off. Which it turned out to be.

Always found it funny that Warnock had this strong view yet as he was managing Sheffield United at the time he had Phil Jagielka, who is genuinely good enough to go between the sticks as/when. He never bothered with a sub keeper.

Anyway, point of the story, does anyone know of the Albion possessing a similarly talented player at any point? I can't but my age might be something of a handicap here.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Eddie Spearritt was our stand-in goalie, think he did ok but good question, who else has had to go between the sticks?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'll always remember a rant from (I believe) Warnock regarding a manager who was foolish enough to not name a keeper as one of his 5 subs (prior to being 7) as it was guaranteed to be the one time they'd be injured/sent off. Which it turned out to be.

Always found it funny that Warnock had this strong view yet as he was managing Sheffield United at the time he had Phil Jagielka, who is genuinely good enough to go between the sticks as/when. He never bothered with a sub keeper.

Anyway, point of the story, does anyone know of the Albion possessing a similarly talented player at any point? I can't but my age might be something of a handicap here.

Dean Wilkins never had a keeper on the bench. He was asked who would go in goal, if our keeper got injured, and the answer was Tommy Fraser.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I know he has his doubters but I think Baldock is an excellent player that will have a big say in our fate this season. His first touch, tenacity and technical ability are great, he just needs to start scoring more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the bench do we need
3 midfielders Crofts, Sidwell, Towell
2 wide strikers Lua Lua Skalak
2 strikers Baldock Wilson/Zamora
I would suggest it will be Towell that misses out at the moment and one of Skalak, Baldock. With Maenpaa and Calderon making up the subs, CH could go without a defender and use an extra midfielder as cover if needed as defensive cover. Very interesting situation.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I know he has his doubters but I think Baldock is an excellent player that will have a big say in our fate this season. His first touch, tenacity and technical ability are great, he just needs to start scoring more.

I do agree he has a good first touch and technical ability along with a good reading of the game with his running off the ball.
However 9 times out of 10 it doesn't even get to a first touch because he is muscled out of the action because he's not strong enough at this level

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
On the bench do we need
3 midfielders Crofts, Sidwell, Towell
2 wide strikers Lua Lua Skalak
2 strikers Baldock Wilson/Zamora
I would suggest it will be Towell that misses out at the moment and one of Skalak, Baldock. With Maenpaa and Calderon making up the subs, CH could go without a defender and use an extra midfielder as cover if needed as defensive cover. Very interesting situation.

Something I wouldn't bother with if I was a manager; putting a keeper on the bench. If your keeper gets sent, you're down to 10 and likely ****ed anyway, may as well whack Calde in there and hope for the best. And it's so rare that keepers pick up injuries in-game, but even if they do, the basics of goalkeeping should be simple for anyone with any kind of athleticism, which you'd like to think all of our players possess, and everyone that has played football through their lives has had to be a keeper at some point, right?

If I was the manager- which I'm obviously not, with good reason-, I'd say **** it, put 2 strikers, 3 midfielders and 2 defenders on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here