Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2016 - Am I being delusional?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do this every tournament and get myself hyped that England could do it and am always ultimately left watching awful displays time after time BUT

The Lampard/Gerrard era is over and players like Vardy, Kane, Alli look really exciting. We have a good keeper, loads of wingers and plenty of attacking options.

So, could it be our time to fly or am I once again falling for the hype of expectation?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think we will do well, but probably need another couple of years for the young players to be consistently good.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given the right manager - maybe. But I think Hodgson is too cautious and Rooney will be in even if he doesn't score from now to then. Milner will probably fit in somewhere as well - probably ahead of Alli. Hope I am wrong but I don't think he likes flair teams.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We were talking about this at work the other day, this is the first time we really recall having no idea who will start for Englad, but due to so many good options rather than no option!

I can't see how Rooney gets in this team at the moment. We arent relying on sicknotes like Sturridge and Wilshire.

Only slight concern is centre-back, Cahill not playing, Stones looking like a liability, Jagielka hardly played. Only Smalling really had a strong season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We were talking about this at work the other day, this is the first time we really recall having no idea who will start for Englad, but due to so many good options rather than no option!

I can't see how Rooney gets in this team at the moment. We arent relying on sicknotes like Sturridge and Wilshire.

Only slight concern is centre-back, Cahill not playing, Stones looking like a liability, Jagielka hardly played. Only Smalling really had a strong season.

Purely for the furture I'd go with Stones & Smalling, but it is somewhat ironic that for years the strongest part of the team was central defence & now we don't have many options there. As for the rest of the team we have some good talented players but don't think we have enough to beat the best at this moment.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I do this every tournament and get myself hyped that England could do it and am always ultimately left watching awful displays time after time BUT

The Lampard/Gerrard era is over and players like Vardy, Kane, Alli look really exciting. We have a good keeper, loads of wingers and plenty of attacking options.

So, could it be our time to fly or am I once again falling for the hype of expectation?

Yes you are delusional. I'd rather we started with Butland personally.

Agree about excitement elsewhere though.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

We have a decent, young and hungry team which has confidence and ability to do well at the tournament without the weight of expectation hampering it, however it won't be long until our traditional flurry of injuries just before a major tournament to important squad players kick in to really mess up our chances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we will do well, but probably need another couple of years for the young players to be consistently good.

Every time we say this, I genuinely believe we have a lot of good young players who will perform well at the top level.

I expect minimum semi-final

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yes you are delusional. I'd rather we started with Butland personally.

Agree about excitement elsewhere though.

Are you joking? Joe Hart is a world class keeper, ask any City fan you know. Butland is superb as well mind but implying Hart isn't 'good' is ridiculous lol

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Are you joking? Joe Hart is a world class keeper, ask any City fan you know. Butland is superb as well mind but implying Hart isn't 'good' is ridiculous lol

Nope, I'm being perfectly serious. Great shot stopper on his day, but I've seen him caught in no man's land far too often to have any confidence in him I'm afraid. I'd rather get the next generation in now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Playing with 12 should definitely work in our favour

Well if Israel can take part in European competitions then why the **** can't we play with 12 men. History owes it to us, surely?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

There's a fair amount to be excited about, agreed, but you've brushed over the 'loads of wingers' a little - I can't think of one (of an international standard) that I'd genuinely say has had a good season and is a shoo-in for a starting berth in the summer.

The usual crowd of Sterling, Walcott, Ox, Townsend etc who've all done well an England shirt previously have all underwhelmed for varying reasons this year.

Hopefully a couple at least can play themselves into some sort of form over the coming months, but I can't see it at the moment.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There's potential but there are a few issues that will stop us winning.
A) Hodgson - too pragmatic when it matters and lacks the tactical nous to outwit the best sides
B) The ability to control games against the best sides because we lack a midfielder with that nous
C) Issues at centre back - this is truly the worst era for centre halves in England in a long time, even with the emergence of Stones
D) Our best players are constant injury concerns i.e. Sturridge and Wilshere, both of who would be first choices if fit
E) We rely too heavily on Rooney, who despite being our record scorer (and deserving credit for that), rarely performs for England when it actually matters and who now lacks the pace to compliment the other attacking talents we have, meaning that the play often grinds to a halt when it reaches him

Still, if we all go in without expectation then maybe there'll be a surprise semi-final visit or something equally pleasant.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015

The only thing we will win will be the plastic chair throwing competion,we are the worlds best

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

Dreams are free. I still believe.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't see us getting past the quarter finals. Defense is an issue as is central midfield. We have one decent central midfielder and he's nearly always injured(Wilshere, if you're wondering). We have plenty of good attacking options (if fit) so hopefully we'll at least be fun to watch which is an improvement on the past 8-10 years.

I'd like to see a team something like:

----------------------Hart-------------------------
Clyne-----Smalling----Stones-----Shaw(if fit)/Baines
------Henderson/Delph---Wilshere----------
Walcott-------Barkley----------Sterling--------
-------------------Kane-------------------------------

Then you'd have players like Alli, the ox, Lallana, Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney on the bench ready to come on and do something special...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here