Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome

1066gull

I am writing this because I want to make amends for any shortcomings I have done. I also think it is really important to come out and open up about who you really are and the state of your mind because it will eat away at you and keep coming back if you don't accept it. And I've made countless mistakes in my life, which I promised myself at the time I would change and do differently. There is a certain degree that is true to that statement but you can't ultimately change the person who you are.

I've also felt pretty down at certain points in the last two years. Some of you may recall me posting here last summer and I would like to take this moment to thank everyone for the positive and helpful comments at that time.

The weird thing about growing up was that I never knew what Autism or Aspergers actually was until very recently. I mean I read about it having an affect on others by reading the paper or in the news but it wasn't something that I really thought about. I always thought it was everybody else who was in the wrong and that they had a problem with me and if I wanted somebody to like me I would work tirelessly changing the way I act or do something that will please them.

You can move address, change jobs, switch towns as many times as you like but things will never ever improve until you accept yourself. To a degree I almost feel like that is what I have done and even though its something I have just discovered about me, it is something that has always been apart of me. If I go back as far my time in school I was a good boy but I didn't do much. I'f log on the computer after school and go on my favourite internet forum and than a few months of possibly years down the line I start pretending to be something I ain't, just to be validated by people who already were my friends but by the end of it of all I am left with none.

Then I start again, which is when I came here and the process starts again. I also start my first job, knuckle down and work hard and after a short while try to be something I ain't again to look bigger and better than others. When that fails I move on to the next thing until the process keeps repeating itself as I alienate the people who are closet to me until I am left with nothing which is when I am forced to move on.

Things all started to finally change around this time last year. I was living and working in a small and busy work environment and had been for almost a year at that point. We'd have fun at work together, enjoyed after work social activities with each other and occasionally did some work. It was after the initial few months when some close people who got to know me asked if had Aspergers. In total I had three different people ask me this after they witness how upset I get when things don't go my way and my ability to overthink things quite easily over pretty much nothing. This behavior, although mostly harmless did become quite problematic on certain occasions like if I was under pressure at work to hit a certain target and I would lash out at a client or a customer. Despite enjoying the place where I worked for a year and still being friends with many people at the place I had to leave for an incident just like that. Immediately after the incident, which is when I abused a customer with a torrent of obscene language, I said it was out of character. The kind of thing politician would say I suppose who wanted to keep their job. For me though I realized it was something that was actually a true reflection of my personality and with the help my friends gave me I suppose by asking if I was Autistic started looking in to the effects and symptoms of it.

I have found out very recently now that my mum tried to get me diagnosed for Aspergers when I was six years old. I didn't know it at the time though but it does explain the extra curricular support I kept receiving throughout my education. It also now explains how I almost got expelled when I was 17 for bullying another student in my year and I suppose it also explains why I had such a problem with gambling and getting on with people on here back in 2007.

Right now I am on the waiting list to be assessed at the Neurobehavioral Clinic in Brighton. So twenty years after my mum initially tried I am in the system along with getting other mental health treatment like CBT to treat my anxiety and depression. It kinda sucks that I am not working because I am penniless and in debt for the years of troubles that I have experienced but I hope to find something to do in the very near future that will give me the same opportunities everybody else has had. I don't like to dwell on the negatives too much but I feel like not being diagnosed earlier has made me miss out on so many professional and personal goals because I failed to complete my degree, I haven't done any form of travelling which is something I have dreamed of primarily to lack of money and an impulsive personality to kind of 'have it now' and not wait for later.

I hope my story finds its way in to helping others with similar personal challenges overcoming their problems too.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
All the best to you Adrie, you've got the support of people on here and don't ever think that you are alone in the struggles that you face, things do improve and get better, we have to take steps back in life in order to move forward, I'm a prime example of this.

Take care, Russ

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Thought the quickest way to be diagnosed with Aspergers was to be a computer hacker or online stock market fraudster fighting extradition to the US!!!

But on a serious note... Best of luck mate and hope all goes well for you. Although us lot on this forum will probably never meet or have our civil wars over certain issues, when it comes to something like this, we're all with you mate!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Very brave indeed. Hope you overcome all your issues and that a successful Albion season helps ease your troubles.

As someone very astute once put in a song - we've come a long long way together through the hard times and the rain.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting read, well done for sharing, I hope that in itself helps you deal with things better as you move on.

You are still very young, maybe you could finish your degree if it's what you wanted, and you still have plenty on time to travel etc, so don't panic. IMO it's great that you've learnt so much about yourself already. Although most of us don't have Asperger syndrome, a great many of us have some of the issues you describe, even if milder, and it's not easy to recognise ones own faults and deal with them.

I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good luck with this chap, I know others in this situation, and you can deal with it, you can move on with your life, you can achieve all you want to achieve, God willing with the help and support of the health services, and friends and family, I wish you every bit of success.

dr415414

May 6, 2015
You are not alone my friend. I have a godson and nephew who are both on the spectrum and the godson has aspergers. Just by writing about it on here you have probably helped someone to realise their own issues....I think it's incredible that you've been able to come on here and talk about this to others. You're an inspiration.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Best of luck to you mate, hopefully this revelation will prove to be the springboard you need. Now you know what it is you are dealing with you can access plenty of help, advice and information.

My oldest boy as Asperger's and i have shared a few frustrations on here. The support and understanding is out there.

I recently found this site very useful as it is run by two Aspy's who are talking from experience.

http://www.aspergerexperts.com/

Temple Grandin is an inspriational figure within the autism community and if you haven't see the film i cannot recommend it enough

http://www.templegrandin.com/

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brave post. I can remember "back in the day" on here you would often be fighting many battles, this place can be a bear pit sometimes. But reading your post tonight, you're clearly an intelligent and articulate chap. I wish you well with what you're dealing with, and would just suggest one thing - keep posting. It doesn't have to be about your struggles, or your fears. The beauty of NSC is that anything goes. Post about the Albion. Post about a film you've just watched. Post about a hottie on Question Time. Add to the Bellcheeses at Work thread. Just engage, because you're quite clearly thoughtful and articulate enough to write posts that are worth reading.

You'll get quotes and mentions, and we ALL like those, cos it means we're noticed, and we're being read. Join in Adrie. I can see you've got something to say thats worth reading, and it doesn't always have to be about life. Just come on in and talk bollocks like the rest of us :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hi

my boy is aspergers/high functioning autistic.
Have known this since he was 2 .

He's now 14

none of this is easy even knowing for the past 12 years that he is autistic hasn't helped me prepare for friendship issues, puberty,and just about everything in between.

The diagnosis will be the first step.
I'm sure it will help you come to terms with some stuff. I hope this gives you what you need
I wish you well

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brave post. I can remember "back in the day" on here you would often be fighting many battles, this place can be a bear pit sometimes. But reading your post tonight, you're clearly an intelligent and articulate chap. I wish you well with what you're dealing with, and would just suggest one thing - keep posting. It doesn't have to be about your struggles, or your fears. The beauty of NSC is that anything goes. Post about the Albion. Post about a film you've just watched. Post about a hottie on Question Time. Add to the Bellcheeses at Work thread. Just engage, because you're quite clearly thoughtful and articulate enough to write posts that are worth reading.

You'll get quotes and mentions, and we ALL like those, cos it means we're noticed, and we're being read. Join in Adrie. I can see you've got something to say thats worth reading, and it doesn't always have to be about life. Just come on in and talk bollocks like the rest of us :thumbsup:

Excellent post Easy and kind of sums up why we are all here.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Can only echo what everyone else has said. Going through similar right now with our 22 year old daughter who has been really good through the education system at covering things up so whilst its obvious to us that she has many of the signs of being on the spectrum until now she slipped through the net in terms of diagnosis.
We finally seem to be getting somewhere with that and its a real light at the end of the tunnel for all of us.
I know they get a bad press on here but she loves her job as a steward in the north stand and the.club have really looked after her for the 4 years shes been there.

1066 gull. Keep posting and keep on fighting. Your post was so well thought out and bought a tear to my eye.

The saddest thing for me about your post was reading that your mum tried to get help but was apparently failed (hence as you were) by the system - this has got to change for the many others in the same situation as you.

On a more trivial note, just about my favourite feature film of last year X + Y had a very strong Asperger's theme. It's a heavy film it has to be said about childhood loss but I think you'll find it upbeat and entertaining if you want to look it up.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I am pleased for you Adrie. If they confirm the diagnosis then you deserve to have all the help you need.

Being aware of Asperger's or any similar condition is always something that others around you will notice before you would be aware. It is good that your mother had spotted that already and you should not feel that it is in any way your own fault if you weren't aware.

I hope this all goes well for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here