Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I and a few others were a bit puzzled tonight when CH's tactics were to literally shut up shop at half time.
Yes we won 3-0 brilliant, but it really could have backfired on him tonight and almost did.
They were hitting us fairly hard throughout the second half, it was just something we noticed and seemed a very strange thing to do.
Shouldn't we have been attacking them straight from the onset of the second half to get that extra 3rd goal earlty to make our last
forty minutes a damn sight easier than it was.

Not a moan just an observation it was very odd.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
At no stage did we ever look like conceding at 2-0. Maybe we should have gone for it, but, with some players still finding their way back to form and fitness I've no issues with going 4-5-1. Clean sheet, professional performance, job done.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I and a few others were a bit puzzled tonight when CH's tactics were to literally shut up shop at half time.
Yes we won 3-0 brilliant, but it really could have backfired on him tonight and almost did.
They were hitting us fairly hard throughout the second half, it was just something we noticed and seemed a very strange thing to do.
Shouldn't we have been attacking them straight from the onset of the second half to get that extra 3rd goal earlty to make our last

Yes. A season ticket holder for 21 years, but my mate and I left on 70 mins as we were seriously bored

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
At no stage did we ever look like conceding at 2-0. Maybe we should have gone for it, but, with some players still finding their way back to form and fitness I've no issues with going 4-5-1. Clean sheet, professional performance, job done.

Sorry i have to disagree with that mate, we did look like conceding a few times in the second half, it could have gone terribly Pete Tong.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He got his tactics spot on. They had an extra man in midfield and quality ball players in that area, plus very tricky wide men and full backs that liked to get forward, but they were blunt right up top.

The tactics were simple... They pushed their defensive line up and used their ball players to dominate the game (and did it very well) but we stayed compact and brought on pace to expose their increasingly high line. We kept out full backs deep to give their wide players little room and Kayal and Stephens sat in front of the defence so that their extra man in midfield was nullified.

If I'm being honest, that was probably the best Hughton's been tactically in a good couple of months and actually shows that he's learning from his mistakes against the likes of Ipswich, Wolves and Boro.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not a fan of the way we consistently try to see matches out.
Feels picky to criticise but can't help thinking we wouldn't have had to wait this long for a win by more than a single goal if we were a little less negative when we get our noses in front.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We could still be playing now and they wouldn't have scored.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Hindsight is a wonderful thing

If we go for the third and Brentford score and we are battered possibly conceding an equalizer Hughton is pilloried for not shutting up shop.

If we shut up shop and still concede inviting more pressure Hughton is criticized.

If we keep attacking after being 2 -0 up and get 3 or 4 Hughton is a genius .

If we shut up shop invite pressure but hit them on the break and win 3 - 0, Hughton is a great tactician.

Who'd be a football manager!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Sorry i have to disagree with that mate, we did look like conceding a few times in the second half, it could have gone terribly Pete Tong.

Fair enough - Stockdale didn't make a single save other than in the first 10 minutes. Just watched the highlights as well and the only showing from them in the second half was when Stockdale tried to catch when he should have punched. Can't remember anything else. I feel like we could be playing till next Saturday and they still wouldn't score.

Normally I think we look terrible after we revert into our shell mind but today just felt so comfortable.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bizarre OP. CH completely had them tonight. We outmuscled them, and were swift and impressive on the break. We also carved out a number of excellent opportunities.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We won 3-0 could have been 2/3 more so let's be honest his tactics were spot on. We were as much if not more of a threat with 3 in the middle

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree that he did go negative which can cost in the Championship (though not tonight) but 4-5-1 when your are comfortably holding a 2-0 lead ?

That is a bit of a worry I suppose down to either tactics or whether or not players can continue at high levels of exertion ?

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
Yes. A season ticket holder for 21 years, but my mate and I left on 70 mins as we were seriously bored

Surely not a serious comment. We set up to counter there extra man in midfield and play counter attack football. It worked a treat except for a couple of corners.

Fantastic performance and tactics my only criticism is that we should have scored 5 or 6

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

We were playing a team that likes an open game so that they can attack with pace and in numbers, we denied them that space and the ability to use their pace in the second half and looked to break quickly by releasing Wilson, Knockaert or Murphy with the long ball for them to run onto. - Did Stockdale really have to make a save in the 2nd half?

Last season, when we were playing them at their ground we played end to end football, both teams looked like scoring with every attack (which was surprising for us that season) and they look like a team that still like to try to outscore the opposition.

We basically played in a tactical way that gave us the best chance to stop them from getting back into the game by denying their strengths. - It worked and we won 3-0

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
If we go for the third and Brentford score and we are battered possibly conceding an equalizer Hughton is pilloried for not shutting up shop.

If we shut up shop and still concede inviting more pressure Hughton is criticized.

If we keep attacking after being 2 -0 up and get 3 or 4 Hughton is a genius .

If we shut up shop invite pressure but hit them on the break and win 3 - 0, Hughton is a great tactician.

Who'd be a football manager!

Like i said purely an observation by quite a few people no ones moaning, or saying he's crap, just seemed very odd and doing that is not a great idea imho, but hey ho we won.

D

Deleted member 2719

I actually thought CH got his tactics spot on tonight.

Start with bobby, get ahead bring on wilson to keep their defenders busy then stiffen the spine with crofts and sidwell.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I'm struggling to understand where you have been for the entire season. Hughton plays 4-4-2, looks to get ahead then sit on the lead and play on the counter. He's been here well over a year now. Have you not noticed?!?!?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here