Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Julian Assange Unlawfully Detained

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's a statute of limitations on rape? Is that right? It's just that there was a case last week of someone getting convicted after DNA evidence identified him as the rapist some 30 years ago.

I'd be very surprised if we had that here, bearing in mind recent Op Yewtree cases?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He is yet to be charged by the Swedish authorities as they have not conducted an interivew with him yet, despite it being possible for the Swedes to interview hin at the Embassy so they can formally proceed agianst him on the rape charge.

My own personal view is that if the Swedes wish to proceed against him on the rape charge, they should interview him at the Embassy, charge and then try him, if there is a case to answer. As much as I admire his whistleblowing activities, it does not buy him a pass on that. However the Swedes and Brits should make clear to the US they will not allow him to be extradited to the US on whistleblowing charges.

I do not understand why the Swedes have not agreed to this, from what I have read about this case Assange has agreed to the investigative intervew at the Embassy.

el punal

A couple of things puzzle me about Assange. Firstly, why on earth did he choose the Ecuadorian embassy for sanctuary? Secondly, what the hell does he do all day?

I mean this has got to be a real life "Groundhog Day" scenario. Does he actually wake up to "I've got you, babe" by Sonny and Cher every day? Does he go for long walks in the garden? Does he watch Jeremy Kyle and contemplate slitting his wrists?

So baffling. :shrug:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
A couple of things puzzle me about Assange. Firstly, why on earth did he choose the Ecuadorian embassy for sanctuary? Secondly, what the hell does he do all day?

I mean this has got to be a real life "Groundhog Day" scenario. Does he actually wake up to "I've got you, babe" by Sonny and Cher every day? Does he go for long walks in the garden? Does he watch Jeremy Kyle and contemplate slitting his wrists?

So baffling. :shrug:

perhaps he is a poster here ?

larus

He is yet to be charged by the Swedish authorities as they have not conducted an interivew with him yet, despite it being possible for the Swedes to interview hin at the Embassy so they can formally proceed agianst him on the rape charge.

My own personal view is that if the Swedes wish to proceed against him on the rape charge, they should interview him at the Embassy, charge and then try him, if there is a case to answer. As much as I admire his whistleblowing activities, it does not buy him a pass on that. However the Swedes and Brits should make clear to the US they will not allow him to be extradited to the US on whistleblowing charges.

I do not understand why the Swedes have not agreed to this, from what I have read about this case Assange has agreed to the investigative intervew at the Embassy.

Agreed.

Also, one of the alleged rapes was from a woman who had spent the night with him in his hotel, had consensual sex, and (allegedly), woke the next morning when he had penetrated her whilst she was still sleeping. Without getting into a huge debate about what constitutes rape, this charge appears to be stretching the definition of rape. (I' probably going to get accused of lots of heinous things now by the "I'll take offence at anything brigade").

That's why I feel these charge are politically motivated (yes, I do believe that 'even' western governments will prosecute people for political reasons).

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Look, he is a fugitive, he absconded whilst on bail, the Swedish and EU arrest warrants are still in force.... what is there to debate,... let justice run its course...if he is innocent, then he walks.

If you the reader did the same, but hid in your mates garden shed for 4 years, you can be sure that the charges would still have to be answered.

He only had the sexual assault charges dropped on an expiry technicality.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Look, he is a fugitive, he absconded whilst on bail, the Swedish and EU arrest warrants are still in force.... what is there to debate,... let justice run its course...if he is innocent, then he walks.

If you the reader did the same, but hid in your mates garden shed for 4 years, you can be sure that the charges would still have to be answered.

He only had the sexual assault charges dropped on an expiry technicality.

Unfortunately for all concerned in this case, Americas interest in this man has made it politicised beyond the norm. Thier recent disregard for due process in political cases has caused the issue as much as the alleged assault. You can't lock poeple up without a trial and continue to expect suspects to hand themselves over.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Who locked him up?........he was free on bail pending the outcomes of appeals etc....he chose to put himself in there for goodness sake.

Any conspiracy theory can be drummed up to support your case.

Sweden are always held up as a model country when it comes to civil liberties. .. and they aren't in NATO. .. so US pressure is almost certainly not going to sway their legal system.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Agreed.

Also, one of the alleged rapes was from a woman who had spent the night with him in his hotel, had consensual sex, and (allegedly), woke the next morning when he had penetrated her whilst she was still sleeping. Without getting into a huge debate about what constitutes rape, this charge appears to be stretching the definition of rape. (I' probably going to get accused of lots of heinous things now by the "I'll take offence at anything brigade").

That's why I feel these charge are politically motivated (yes, I do believe that 'even' western governments will prosecute people for political reasons).

Penetrating someone while they are asleep is 'stretching' the definition of rape? Christ on bike.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Penetrating someone while they are asleep is 'stretching' the definition of rape? Christ on bike.

Without wishing to get into a pointless argument with the "I'll take offence at anything brigade", there are times when consent can be reasonably assumed - tacit consent, I suppose. I can (just) remember back in the day (when I was young and pretty and so were the girls I loved) being woken on a few occasions (and sadly it was only a few) by the pleasant sensation of the pretty girl I'd taken to bed the night before gently sliding herself on to my morning erection. Being asleep, technically I hadn't consented - should I have made an accusation of indecent assault?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Without wishing to get into a pointless argument with the "I'll take offence at anything brigade", there are times when consent can be reasonably assumed - tacit consent, I suppose. I can (just) remember back in the day (when I was young and pretty and so were the girls I loved) being woken on a few occasions (and sadly it was only a few) by the pleasant sensation of the pretty girl I'd taken to bed the night before gently sliding herself on to my morning erection. Being asleep, technically I hadn't consented - should I have made an accusation of indecent assault?

Having sex with an unconscious person is rape. You were sleepy and had a morning boner...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I cannot imagine the trauma you we're put through. Christ, it's as bad as being dragged from the streets and b*ggered by someone. After all, rape is rape. I suggest you seek counselling mate.

F***ing hell, that's the most stupid reply I've ever had to a post. Whatever, I can't be arsed to explain to you.

There's a football match on. You might have heard about it.............................

Dec 29, 2011
Runs a website which releases the dark secrets of the most powerful nation on the earth. Coincidently he's then called to Sweden to face pretty spurious charges, ones which the two women apparently didn't want filed in the first place. If I was him I'd hide too, if he reaches America we'll never hear about him again and no one would do anything about it because were all too passive. If Sweden really care so much they can interview him in the embassy, which they've refused to do this far.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... However the Swedes and Brits should make clear to the US they will not allow him to be extradited to the US on whistleblowing charges.

you cant make such promises when there's not a legal mechanism to do so and, this is really important detail, there is no case, charges or warrant for him to be extradicted on. how can a country say "we'll promise not to extradict you, just in case someone wants to"? its daft, and as such there's no precedence for it, so there's no legal way to make such a promise.

Unfortunately for all concerned in this case, Americas interest in this man has made it politicised beyond the norm.

they arent interested. Assange claims they are, but there are no charges for which he is even potentially wanted for. there was the case of Bradley Manning, which is done and he's serving time. theres a Senator and probably a few fringe loons who want to put Assange on trial, but there isnt any actual crime commited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here