Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keith Stroud.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I see our good friend Keith Stroud is the man in the middle tonight. He seems to have officiated at quite a few of our games this season, and by and large we have a pretty good record when he is in charge.

I have particularly fond memories of him refereeing the infamous game at the City Ground the season before last, when Leo's last gasp winner edged us past Notts Forest and into the Play-Offs.

Plus he was the man who sent off the Charlton defender in our come from behind triumph over Charlton in December.

Lets just hope that I still hold him in such esteem after the game tonight!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Not one of my favourite refs. Seen him referee a few of our games so far this season and he's been awful most of the time.
Bet he'll want to strut his stuff in front of the cameras.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but as this thread was already started i thought i would use it. Was at the game yesterday and during the match I thought Keith was making some bizarre decisions but sort of accepted it as am in WSU so long way from the action. However having recorded and watched the game on SKY, suspicions were confirmed.
1, The Ridgewell push and booking for Stockdale when trying to take a free kick
2, The foul following Hemeds missed header at corner in first half when there was no contact from anyone
3. The Sidwell "foul"
4. The foul on Wilson on the edge of the box (you could argue this one)

We won so no harm done but what was Keith on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but as this thread was already started i thought i would use it. Was at the game yesterday and during the match I thought Keith was making some bizarre decisions but sort of accepted it as am in WSU so long way from the action. However having recorded and watched the game on SKY, suspicions were confirmed.
2, The foul following Hemeds missed header at corner in first half when there was no contact from anyone
3. The Sidwell "foul"

Well that's entirely my point. I'm not claiming that he is a good ref, merely a lucky ref! Not at all sure of the exact stats, just know that whenever he has reffed our games in recent times anyway, we seem to have largely ended up winning.

Let's hope we see him again soon!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
3. The Sidwell "foul"

The Sidwell foul imo was a foul as he put his elbow in his face don't think you can tell from the tv but it was very close to where I was.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
3. The Sidwell "foul"

1. Ridgewell was pushed but the ref didn't give a free kick. Stockdale was arguing that it should have been, but the ref only gave Brentford a throw, which was why Stockdale walked away with the ball in his hand, so therefore booked for dissent.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
1. Ridgewell was pushed but the ref didn't give a free kick. Stockdale was arguing that it should have been, but the ref only gave Brentford a throw, which was why Stockdale walked away with the ball in his hand, so therefore booked for dissent.
Clearly a push just a few feet from the assistant (what's the point of them)...ridiculous decision

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

According to Sky, the 4th official said he was booked for delaying the restart, not dissent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to Sky, the 4th official said he was booked for delaying the restart, not dissent.

Stockdale wanted a free kick for the push on Ridgewell. The lino ignored it, and Stockdale was pointing to his eyes. The lino had his flag up for a throw in, and then Stockdale put the ball down for a free kick. He then walked off with it, still moaning to the referee. He was booked and the ref confirmed it was a throw in. We were going loopy in the north stand because of the decision whether it was for dissent or delaying. I've watched the full 90 minutes on Player today and the commentators were puzzled by it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Thats how I saw it and he delayed the restart as he was totally out of position having gone to take the kick. Fully understandable and think the ref should have taken that into account.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He made some very odd decisions and is definitely a LOOK AT ME ref. But we've had far worse this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thats how I saw it and he delayed the restart as he was totally out of position having gone to take the kick. Fully understandable and think the ref should have taken that into account.

There was no kick. It was wrongly given as a throw in.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
3. The Sidwell "foul"

The ref pointed to say that the foul had occurred towards the back of the box where Dunk and a Brentford player were - was this in the tv shot during the build up to the header to see what did or didn't happen there? I'd imagine most were watching the centre of the penalty area and wondering what the free kick was for and maybe the cameras didn't focus on this area either?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The ref pointed to say that the foul had occurred towards the back of the box where Dunk and a Brentford player were - was this in the tv shot during the build up to the header to see what did or didn't happen there? I'd imagine most were watching the centre of the penalty area and wondering what the free kick was for and maybe the cameras didn't focus on this area either?

Again the commentators couldn't see what had happened. They replayed it, but couldn't find it. They said that the ref must have spotted something!!
Being in the north, it was too far away for me to see which is one of the reasons I watched the game again this evening.

Stroud might make it up as he goes along, but as the OP says, we do tend to win the games he refs.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Again the commentators couldn't see what had happened. They replayed it, but couldn't find it. They said that the ref must have spotted something!!
Being in the north, it was too far away for me to see which is one of the reasons I watched the game again this evening.

Stroud might make it up as he goes along, but as the OP says, we do tend to win the games he refs.

Dunk was towards the 18 yard line, to the right hand side of the goal (if facing the goal)

I don't have Sky TV and haven't seen a replay anywhere of this incident so i have no idea if Dunk would have been in shot or if the commentators were looking at Dunk when reviewing it

The ref gave the free kick around where Dunk was and pointed towards him to say that's were the free kick occurred so he may have seen something there (or imagined something) i don't know - that's why i wondered if someone was able to look again and see if they could spot what (if anything) Dunk may have done?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stockdale wanted a free kick for the push on Ridgewell. The lino ignored it, and Stockdale was pointing to his eyes. The lino had his flag up for a throw in, and then Stockdale put the ball down for a free kick. He then walked off with it, still moaning to the referee. He was booked and the ref confirmed it was a throw in. We were going loopy in the north stand because of the decision whether it was for dissent or delaying. I've watched the full 90 minutes on Player today and the commentators were puzzled by it.

Stupid booking. Irrespective of the decision by the ref, he clearly indicated it was a throw in so by walking away with the ball, whether for delay or dissent, he was going to get booked.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On Twitter I suggested at half time that he might have dropped some acid. It was the only explanation I could think of at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here