Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blinded PC David Rathband's family lose negligence case

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35501176

am i reading it correctly, is the judge saying the family should fork out?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by albion534 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Seems harsh to make the family pay that kind of figure, but perhaps it will make people think before taking court action which they may or may not win. Sad all round really.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by albion534 View Post

yes they have to fork out £100 k.

0 Not allowed!
      Bloody Nora, That is an insane amount of money to make them pay - especially within 21 days with, I would expect, more to come after

It seems mad as you can understand their point, but at the same time I guess part of the defence would be that by signing up to the Police you know the risks? Also, I guess they couldn't pull all officers out and leave the public with no protection? Such a case could cause a precedent and I would assume that is what they are worried about.

All in all a horrible horrible state of affairs and now a family have lost a loved one and a massive chunk of money through no fault of their own. What were the motives behind the case? Was it for a compensation payment? Just wondering as you would hope he would have been supported very well after?

As you can tell, i do not know masses about the case but am willing to learn!
      -- he shot, he scored, his mental age is 4...--
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Surely some solicitor has taken this case on a "no win no fee" basis?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
      Surely some solicitor has taken this case on a "no win no fee" basis?
      They might have, It is the costs of Northumbria police that they have to pay.

3 Not allowed!
      While I have every sympathy for the individuals involved... I (and apparently the Judge in this case) don't believe the force were negligent.

I'm sure there are procedures and risk assessments about when to put officers on a specific alert but they should ALWAYS be aware that they will be targeted by some unpleasant individuals at random times/places/situations.

The officer involved was unlucky, but my understanding was he received the compensation that was due to him, along with all the support that the force muster for those injured while on duty (I personally know one ex-copper who was shot and received a cash sum, early pension and loads of medical help - far more than a member of the public would have got had they been the victim).

However, usually with the "help" of solicitors, some people get greedy and want to go for more money. The judge seems to think this is one of those instances. Organisations and individuals must be protected against spurious lawsuits and so the loser picks up the tab for both sides (in most cases). That is all that has happened here.

I have every sympathy for the family over the original events and subsequent tragic loss. I have no sympathy for them trying to screw the UK tax payers for more than the original compensation with an unfounded and unnecessary legal case.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by father_and_son View Post
      While I have every sympathy for the individuals involved... I (and apparently the Judge in this case) don't believe the force were negligent.

I'm sure there are procedures and risk assessments about when to put officers on a specific alert but they should ALWAYS be aware that they will be targeted by some unpleasant individuals at random times/places/situations.

The officer involved was unlucky, but my understanding was he received the compensation that was due to him, along with all the support that the force muster for those injured while on duty (I personally know one ex-copper who was shot and received a cash sum, early pension and loads of medical help - far more than a member of the public would have got had they been the victim).

However, usually with the "help" of solicitors, some people get greedy and want to go for more money. The judge seems to think this is one of those instances. Organisations and individuals must be protected against spurious lawsuits and so the loser picks up the tab for both sides (in most cases). That is all that has happened here.

I have every sympathy for the family over the original events and subsequent tragic loss. I have no sympathy for them trying to screw the UK tax payers for more than the original compensation with an unfounded and unnecessary legal case.
      I dont think it was his wife/ex wife that sued , it was his brother and sister that brought the claim, so maybe the judge did detect an element of greed and subsequently ordered costs paid.
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by alfredmizen View Post
      I dont think it was his wife/ex wife that sued , it was his brother and sister that brought the claim, so maybe the judge did detect an element of greed and subsequently ordered costs paid.
      To be fair to the family though, according to the report 'PC Rathband began the civil action before he took his own life in 2012, and it was continued by his brother and sister.' Maybe they thought it's what their late brother would have wanted - especially as it patently was what the poor man did want.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      To be fair to the family though, according to the report 'PC Rathband began the civil action before he took his own life in 2012, and it was continued by his brother and sister.' Maybe they thought it's what their late brother would have wanted - especially as it patently was what the poor man wanted.
      i think his brief or barrister are at fault here , by the sounds of it , the case was patently unwinnable. I am all for armed/emergency services receiving the best equipment/medical treatment etc , but there comes a time when you just have to accept that you were unlucky.