Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Meet up", "park up" ... why the "up"?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
People are always saying "let's meet up". Why the "up"? "Let's meet" is just fine.

And then there's "I'll be with you shortly; I'm just going to park up". Park up where? What's wrong with "I'm going to park"?

Both irritate me ... but then again, as I get older, a lot of things irritate me!!

I thought NSC would like me to share this with you.

Anyone else have other irritating figures of speech which they'd like to share?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What about the classic Bristolian query of "Where are you to?"

What is "to" doing at the end of that question?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What about the classic Bristolian query of "Where are you to?"

What is "to" doing at the end of that question?

The version I've heard is "where are you at". The "at" is as unnecessary as the "to".

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
People are always saying "let's meet up". Why the "up"? "Let's meet" is just fine.

And then there's "I'll be with you shortly; I'm just going to park up". Park up where? What's wrong with "I'm going to park"?

Both irritate me ... but then again, as I get older, a lot of things irritate me!!

I thought NSC would like me to share this with you.

Anyone else have other irritating figures of speech which they'd like to share?

Did you think of this while washing up the dishes? Or did you wake up with the thought in your head?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
- "Can I get a/an..."

Irritates the hell out of me too. It is a apparently an Americanism that has crept in over here. Americans do not understand the concept of "may I have" as they understand that to mean not having to pay for something.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheer up although you have screwed up by not liking meet up as it is one of many phrasal verbs that are followed by the preposition 'up'. I won't pick you up on park up as that is probably American or modern urban.
Look up some more they are plentiful.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Vacation.

Have seen it written and spoken for the younger generation, "going on vacation soon"
No you are not you ****ing idiot your going on holiday, are you American, have you ever been to America, do you even no where America is on the map !!!
No you ****ing don't !!!

and breath :jester:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
"What are you doing of?"

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Any variation of "it may be ... but", eg. "it may be winter, but it's quite warm", when they mean "it IS winter, but it's quite warm". No "may" or "maybe" about it. Grrr.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's very common - not just the examples the OP gives (though I admit 'park up' might be a bit American), so I don't really see why it should be annoying.

Link up, join up, top up, tune up, lift up, take up............add your own ad inf.
Wouldn't it be a turn up if this whole thread was a wind up?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here