Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The secret to set piece success

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One thing that Hyypia excelled at was getting the team to score from set pieces (mostly corners). With Holla's inch perfect delivery and Dunk's powerful runs into the box, we found a lot of joy last year.

Unlike the scum who gain most of their points from set pieces (a relegation characteristic methinks), we've had very little joy this season despite having the likes of Hemed and Zamora in the box.

I think it was down to the delivery. With Skalak & Knokers now in the side, can our set piece goal count improve? These 'bonus' goals are exactly what we need in our fight to the automatics.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think we need a Murray/Ulloa type in the side to attack the ball from set pieces. Defenders can contribute but they do not have the goal scoring instinct.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think we need a Murray/Ulloa type in the side to attack the ball from set pieces. Defenders can contribute but they do not have the goal scoring instinct.
Surely Dunk's contributions last year show that to be a bit of a fallacy? If the delivery is good enough, you'd have to hope that any outfield player would have a good chance of rustling the net.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
From memory the only goal from a corner this season was Dale Stephens at QPR and even that was from second phase ball. We should be getting 10-15 goals from corners and hopefully with better delivery that will improve.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
By far my favourite thing about our corners is their splendid consistency.

The (very) occasional one drifts harmlessly over every man in the penalty area and out for a goal kick. But by far the most popular routine is the one where the taker places the ball, then steps back to survey the positions of his eager team-mates, all jostling for a prime spot in front of goal. He then raises his right arm, palm forward, into the air, as if to suggest to everyone watching that there's some magnificent secret tactical plan afoot.

At which point he steps up, and delicately- but with uncanny precision- curls the ball to the defender waiting on the near corner of the six yard box, who heads it gratefully towards his winger (the one positioned immediately outside the penalty box because they've watched our games and know all of our corners will be like this), who races away, before being challenged by Bruno. And so it starts again.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
By far my favourite thing about our corners is their splendid consistency.

The (very) occasional one drifts harmlessly over every man in the penalty area and out for a goal kick. But by far the most popular routine is the one where the taker places the ball, then steps back to survey the positions of his eager team-mates, all jostling for a prime spot in front of goal. He then raises his right arm, palm forward, into the air, as if to suggest to everyone watching that there's some magnificent secret tactical plan afoot.

At which point he steps up, and delicately- but with uncanny precision- curls the ball to the defender waiting on the near corner of the six yard box, who heads it gratefully towards his winger (the one positioned immediately outside the penalty box because they've watched our games and know all of our corners will be like this), who races away, before being challenged by Bruno. And so it starts again.

The palm sideways one denotes a chip into the keepers arms.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is the two hands aloft the short corner signal?

By short, I mean a pass to another player withing 10 yards, not short as in, doesn't clear the first defender per the one hand palm facing signal.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Is the two hands aloft the short corner signal?

By short, I mean a pass to another player withing 10 yards, not short as in, doesn't clear the first defender per the one hand palm facing signal.

It's very simple. I've been studying our system over the last few months.

One hand aloft means, "Won't beat the first man."
Two hands aloft means, "High, beating everybody, and out for a goal-kick at the far side."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At which point he steps up, and delicately- but with uncanny precision- curls the ball to the defender waiting on the near corner of the six yard box, who heads it gratefully away...

Thing is, despite the obvious lack of success we've enjoyed, such a corner (head height, with pace, curled in towards the near half of the six yard box) IS statistically the most likely to result in a goal. But only if somebody actually ATTACKS the ****ing thing. Many of those 'poor' corners have been put EXACTLY where they were supposed to be.

(Not that I'm not also tutting at them, at the time)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Secret to Successful Set Pieces

1. Observe what the Albion have done for the past 5 years.
2. Do exact opposite in every fathomable way.
3. ??
4. Profit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems to me that the secret of set pieces is that the taker of said set piece and the receiver of the set piece both need to agree, in advance, where it is that the planned meeting of the takers pass and the receivers reception of the pass take place, ideally away from members of the opposite team. I believe that it is in this area we are lacking. ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't Hemed's flukey winning header vs Charlton from a corner ?

My mind may be playing tricks.

No. Interplay between Stephens and Kayal, spread wide to Van la Parra, first time cross, Hemed, job done.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
It's very simple. I've been studying our system over the last few months.

One hand aloft means, "Won't beat the first man."
Two hands aloft means, "High, beating everybody, and out for a goal-kick at the far side."

You missed the one where we play it short, make the return pass and immediately become OFFSIDE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here