Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music reminding you of bad/good times

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This can be frustrating, no?

When a good friend sadly chose to leave this world by her own hand I listened a lot to Tim Buckley's Blue Afternoon. A truly beautiful album (note Ipod Generation, one of those with no stand out track to be ripped just a "whole" mood piece). Doing so really helped me cope when I was alone throughout this awful period. Sadly, of course, I have trouble listening to it now, as it takes me straight back to those times, yet I am a stubborn bugger and I still like to listen to it because, well, it is simply a gorgeous album. But I would prefer to think of her in happier times.

Funny how music becomes associated with times in your life.

Terence Tent D'arby's debut album (talk about a one album wonder) always reminds me of good times on a school trip to the Isle of Arran.

Just wanted to put it out there. Therapy session over. NSC has not charged me for it's time, thank you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing as sad as the OP's post but I still feel a little raw when I hear Tubthumping by Chumbawamba ( have I spelt that right?) as it reminds me of fun filled days and grim football at Gillingham.

I always thought that was a perfect song for the Albion fan back then.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Begin the End by Placebo reminds me of my daughter. When I'm feeling sorry for myself I will put it on repeat non-stop and zone out.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
I've lost friends recently - similar to something mentioned above - by their own hand. I listen to one particular aria from La Traviata occasionally. Dammi La Forza O Cielo

One of those pieces of music that can bring both tears of hope and melancholy simultaneously.

Beautiful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Any Turin Brakes album,.... anytime,.... reminds of all the good family stuff.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not me but a friend. Possibly the most 'hard' bloke i have ever known and nothing would phase him. We were at a pub one time and fields of gold came on. He quickly excused himself and went outside. I followed as could sense something was wrong and he was in floods of tears because the song reminded him of his Dad's funeral. Learnt a lot that day and why he seemingly was such a heartless git.

Music is a quite simply wonderful thing isn't it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Smashing Pumpkins; "Gish" and "Siamese Dream". Both albums remind me of a great time in my life. Almost too much because I know I'll never have that time again.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Green Day with Basket Case struck accord when the initial applications were going through for Falmer, only to be then scuppered at first attempt, then having to go through it all again with all the to ing and fro ing between parties involved.
Got there in the end :albion2:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've got a "Times" playlist on Spotify. Love listening back to songs from different periods in my life.

The word visceral is probably best to describe the feeling of how some songs really grab you and take you back to a place. It's like you're there again. You remember exactly how you felt 5,10,20 years ago.

Your brain is very impressive eh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here