Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist Vs Car (again!)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Jeez. I had assumed the camera was on a car and was going to capture the collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ua92cASvgw

Thanks Reginald for your self righteous video ... I will remember that when I watch cyclists going through red lights, riding two abreast, under cutting lorries and buses, & riding on the pedestrian footpaths when there is perfectly good cycle lane or road.

Do you have to take a test to ride a bicycle ? No thought not, until that day....

As he says though their lives do matter, no less, or no more than anyone else though....

SAC

May 21, 2014
Thanks Reginald for your self righteous video ... I will remember that when I watch cyclists going through red lights, riding two abreast, under cutting lorries and buses, & riding on the pedestrian footpaths when there is perfectly good cycle lane or road.

Do you have to take a test to ride a bicycle ? No thought not, until that day....

As he says though their lives do matter, no less, or no more than anyone else though....

You forgot that they don't pay ROAD TAX either. Must try harder next time.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

:yawn:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surely this loophole needs to be closed re "you can't prove who's driving"? Hope the same doesn't happen for the recent Brighton incident.

And how do you propose closing this 'loophole' ?

There is already an offence for not providing driver details. You can't be suggesting that the registered keeper has to face the courts in place of the driver, given that this immediately falls down if the vehicle is stolen, or being road tested by a garage or others.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Seemed more like attempted murder than an accident. Why were the cars indicator both flashing?
For the record, im neither a cyclist, nor a car driver. :smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The cyclist seems convinced it was a deliberate malicious act by the driver, but I'm not sure from the footage if that was actually deliberate. The driver was probably looking at his phone or something, it would be utterly bizarre to do that on purpose for no reason.

Not that it excuses it obviously, or makes any difference to the outcome.

Yoda

English & European
And how do you propose closing this 'loophole' ?

There is already an offence for not providing driver details. You can't be suggesting that the registered keeper has to face the courts in place of the driver, given that this immediately falls down if the vehicle is stolen, or being road tested by a garage or others.

Why not? They're obviously trying to hide something, or at least charge them with perverting the course of justice.

If it had been stolen then there would be a report of it being stolen, therefore it could not be the registered keeper. Same for a car being road tested from a garage.

The only trouble could be where someones trying to sell privately, but lets be honest. You wouldn't let a complete stranger test drive your car on their own would you?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

Surely this loophole needs to be closed re "you can't prove who's driving"? Hope the same doesn't happen for the recent Brighton incident.

What loophole is this??

Without a witness or a confession who do you hold responsible?

Why should this crime be any different from any other crime where someone isn't prosecuted because there is no proof that they committed it and not someone else?

"Innocent until proven guilty" may be an awkward principle at times but it is the principle our entire justice system is built on. The Blackstone principle ["Better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man is punished"] is unfortunate when you are the victim of one of the 10, but what is the alternative??

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seemed more like attempted murder than an accident. Why were the cars indicator both flashing?
For the record, im neither a cyclist, nor a car driver. :smile:

Yes, it's like the car had hazards flashing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Correct attitude of some of the cyclists I see about, expect nothing less.

No better or worse than some car drivers, including myself just another accident.

So, no sympathy for a car driver who gets rammed off the road and crashes causing serious injury for no reason by another driver who then gets away with it, either?

Lovely.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
What loophole is this??

Without a witness or a confession who do you hold responsible?

Why should this crime be any different from any other crime where someone isn't prosecuted because there is no proof that they committed it and not someone else?

"Innocent until proven guilty" may be an awkward principle at times but it is the principle our entire justice system is built on. The Blackstone principle ["Better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man is punished"] is unfortunate when you are the victim of one of the 10, but what is the alternative??

My argument would be that it's reasonable to expect that the owner of the vehicle or the person hiring it was driving it, or that if they weren't they could provide details of the person who was. If they weren't driving they would state who was or provide evidence that they weren't, and by not providing the details the owner/hirer should be considered guilty.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So, no sympathy for a car driver who gets rammed off the road and crashes causing serious injury for no reason by another driver who then gets away with it, either?

Lovely.

I have sympathy for anyone involved in an "Accident" . As I stated it is just another one caused by driver error as cyclists make them too. However when I had an accident in on my scooter when a van pulled out in front of me, I did not post a video on youtube expecting sympathy or wanting the government to educate people it was an accident.

I just don't like the holier than thou attitude of the video using the environment, we are people etc..... yes we know that, and there are tv advert's, billboards posters signs everywhere urging us to be cautious & courteous to cyclists, motorbikes and other road users.... why do some people think they are on a crusade.... It was an accident & if not I am sure he would have gone to the police and they would have warned him not post the video as it may affect the case.....

I have sympathy for anyone involved in an "Accident" . As I stated it is just another one caused by driver error as cyclists make them too. However when I had an accident in on my scooter when a van pulled out in front of me, I did not post a video on youtube expecting sympathy or wanting the government to educate people it was an accident.

I just don't like the holier than thou attitude of the video using the environment, we are people etc..... yes we know that, and there are tv advert's, billboards posters signs everywhere urging us to be cautious & courteous to cyclists, motorbikes and other road users.... why do some people think they are on a crusade.... It was an accident & if not I am sure he would have gone to the police and they would have warned him not post the video as it may affect the case.....

It depends on your definition of accident. I would say that an accident is an incident where no action could have been taken by anyone involved to avoid it. I think there are a very small number of genuine accidents on the road, and this is clearly not one. The driver of the car, whether wilfully or through a complete lack of attention, has hit and injured another road user, and should be held responsible for that.

I honestly don't understand your acceptance of this kind of 'accident' - are you genuinely happy to accept the 1,775 deaths and 22,807 serious injuries (2014 figures) on the road in a year as some kind of 'necessary evil' to allow motorised transport, and think that nothing should be done to improve driver behaviour and attempt to reduce them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here