Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool fan jailed for storming Director's Box

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't think this got mentioned on here, apologies if it has, but a Blackpool fan was jailed last week for 6 months for storming the director's box at Blackpool. He also got a 6 year banning order. A fellow fan got a suspended sentence and presumably a banning order too.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...for-blackpool-directors-box-threats-1-7695080

What interests me (scares me actually) was the judge's comments about the fans' actions because there were big similarities with what Brighton fans did at the Goldstone and Priestfield and I wonder what would happen if we'd had our fight today rather than nearly 20 years ago. Here's a few comments:

Jailing Rushton, the judge said: “Football does not need your behaviour “What you did on the day – you stormed the directors box at Bloomfield Road – does you no credit and football no credit.

I'd argue that it was behaviour like that, that saved our club and is now part of Albion folklore.

“You wore a mask – a frightening mask – and it did frighten innocent and elderly people and children. It intimidated them and then you turned to the crowds and glorified in what you had done.

Won't anyone think of the children? If in doubt, always use the 'pensioners and children' line.

“I find no mitigating factors in your behaviour whatsoever.”

Really? None at all? Fans have been abused by directors through social media and silenced through solicitors. The directors have taken a stance of not being prepared to listen or respond to fans' concerns. The Stan Mortensen statue was temporarily removed for no apparent reason other than provocation on Fans United day. The club's position on the pitch is evermore perilous, the state of the ground, the pitch and facilities are an embarrassment and the directors continue to take their big salaries whilst everything else around the club appears to suffer.

This last comment by the judge, I find the most upsetting. This club is dying on its arse and fans are at their wits end. What point does a prison sentence greater society and if there are no mitigating circumstances then why exactly did the Blackpool fan do what he did? Shocking decision and a bad day for football, in my opinion and shows just how harshly football crimes are treated in comparison with non-football crimes.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
People have done a lot worse and got community service

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think this got mentioned on here, apologies if it has, but a Blackpool fan was jailed last week for 6 months for storming the director's box at Blackpool. He also got a 6 year banning order. A fellow fan got a suspended sentence and presumably a banning order too.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...for-blackpool-directors-box-threats-1-7695080

What interests me (scares me actually) was the judge's comments about the fans' actions because there were big similarities with what Brighton fans did at the Goldstone and Priestfield and I wonder what would happen if we'd had our fight today rather than nearly 20 years ago. Here's a few comments:

I'd argue that it was behaviour like that, that saved our club and is now part of Albion folklore.

Won't anyone think of the children? If in doubt, always use the 'pensioners and children' line.

Really? None at all? Fans have been abused by directors through social media and silenced through solicitors. The directors have taken a stance of not being prepared to listen or respond to fans' concerns. The Stan Mortensen statue was temporarily removed for no apparent reason other than provocation on Fans United day. The club's position on the pitch is evermore perilous, the state of the ground, the pitch and facilities are an embarrassment and the directors continue to take their big salaries whilst everything else around the club appears to suffer.

This last comment by the judge, I find the most upsetting. This club is dying on its arse and fans are at their wits end. What point does a prison sentence greater society and if there are no mitigating circumstances then why exactly did the Blackpool fan do what he did? Shocking decision and a bad day for football, in my opinion and shows just how harshly football crimes are treated in comparison with non-football crimes.
First thought.......Judge......directors......same lodge. No that I'm casting any aspersions, mind you.

Yes, the judgement stinks, and indicates a judge completely out of touch with the real world. Yes, a crime was committed; yes, the verdict was guilty; probably a custodial offence was required by the rules and guidelines. So, do the sensible thing, make the point that those in charge at Blackpool couldn't fail to notice, and make it a derisory 7 days. But judges so often don't do sensible, do they?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As Owen Oyston would probably say "It's not what you know but who you know....."

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Does seem rather draconian. I seem to remember Sussex Police being a bit more understanding when we indulged in similar activities although we never threatened or intimidated family members as far as I am aware.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The law is an ass sometimes so anything you do that sails close to the wind you risk being imprisoned. Even if burglars with 78 previous offences taken into account get suspended sentences in comparison. Most of us, with one notable exception, got away with a lot back in the war years. Today we could have been arrested under all sorts of anti terrorist type laws for eg bringing Hyde Park Corner to a standstill. Or breaking a cross bar. Or breaking and entering the ground. Or...Or...Etc. This Blackpool fan can feel rightly harshly done by in most people's eyes. But not the judges. And that's all that counts.

He has my enormous sympathy. As did Simon back in the 90s.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thats the trouble with Magistrates Courts in that while here are guidelines, a lot depends on who the main Magistrate is. On another day the chap may have just got a suspended sentence and community service. However I don't think sacking your brief before the sentencing is probably a good idea.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Burwash Gull should have been jailed then for a similar offence

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
There is more to it than that though. He has previous, has breached terms imposed and was also a on suspended sentence I think I read somewhere.
When you read more into it you realise it was not just for storming the directors box. There were threats and vandalism.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I don't in any way wish to lower the tone, and the way Blackpool fans have been shafted is outrageous. But I find the fact the guy was defended by one Peter Stringfellow highly amusing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It does appear that more and more clubs are using legal threats and the courts as a means of repressing criticism.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Is 'Storming the Director's box' a euphamism for, back in the day, getting jiggy with a certain shareholder's other half's front bottom?

If so, I'm going down.

not for the first time

mid table mediocrity

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
.....at least she was of legal age when I had a go.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There is more to it than that though. He has previous, has breached terms imposed and was also a on suspended sentence I think I read somewhere.
When you read more into it you realise it was not just for storming the directors box. There were threats and vandalism.

Be that as it may, I think the judge's remarks about this particular demonstration are worth highlighting because (in my opinion) they're quite infuriating to read as an outside football fan and shows that he is completely oblivious or dismissive of this battle for Blackpool FC. This wasn't simple hooliganism regardless of the bloke's form.

As [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] and others have said, one wonders how the Brighton protests and protesters would have been dealt with if we'd fast-forwarded it all to 2016. That's not to downplay the risks they took back then. I admire them all.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Be that as it may, I think the judge's remarks about this particular demonstration are worth highlighting because (in my opinion) they're quite infuriating to read as an outside football fan and shows that he is completely oblivious or dismissive of this battle for Blackpool FC. This wasn't simple hooliganism regardless of the bloke's form.

As [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] and others have said, one wonders how the Brighton protests and protesters would have been dealt with if we'd fast-forwarded it all to 2016. That's not to downplay the risks they took back then. I admire them all.

It's slightly different though I would think, especially the numbers involved.
This man already had previous, damaged CCTV cameras etc. After being bailed and to not to have any contact whatsoever with the Oystons, he sends a threatening text.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't know who I feel more sorry for - the bloke who got jailed or the kids forced to watch with the idiots in the director's box.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Blackpool thing is a sodding disgrace.

CHRIST, you look through the leagues and how many teams have been right royally ****ed over in the last 20 years?

The beautiful game MY ARSE

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's slightly different though I would think, especially the numbers involved.
This man already had previous, damaged CCTV cameras etc. After being bailed and to not to have any contact whatsoever with the Oystons, he sends a threatening text.

I'll readily agree that the threatening text was quite a few steps too far but at the risk of repeating myself, why did the bloke break his bail conditions and storm the box? The fans are furious and they're desperate to get their club back from a family that seems to be running it into the ground and and I think the Oystons are not exactly helping matters with their stance. I'd argue that there are mitigating circumstances and 6 month stretch is bloody harsh - and largely because it's football related.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here