Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cancelling Sky (very OT)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry, this may well have been covered before though my query is perhaps slightly more specific.

Our contract has run out on Sky and it's gone up to £60/month, roughly. We're only on the Family pack (no sport or movies) so this is clearly exorbitant.

I called on Friday and they offered me about £15/month off. Which I said no to. So they're apparently going to cut off our TV by the end of the month.

Now I gather they're likely to come back with a bigger discount, which I await.

The only thing is, I only cancelled the TV, as the guy said if I cancelled the broadband, they would disconnect the phoneline and it would be harder/more expensive to join another company. Is this true? Now this is currently circa £12/month plus £15/month line rental (also ridiculously expensive). So I've currently not cancelled this.

Does anyone know if this will stop them coming back with a cheaper offer for the whole package? I gather they just advertised 35% off for existing customers if you call them, but I'm expecting 50%.

The whole thing is a ridiculous, tedious, time-wasting scam.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry, this may well have been covered before though my query is perhaps slightly more specific.

Our contract has run out on Sky and it's gone up to £60/month, roughly. We're only on the Family pack (no sport or movies) so this is clearly exorbitant.

I called on Friday and they offered me about £15/month off. Which I said no to. So they're apparently going to cut off our TV by the end of the month.

Now I gather they're likely to come back with a bigger discount, which I await.

The only thing is, I only cancelled the TV, as the guy said if I cancelled the broadband, they would disconnect the phoneline and it would be harder/more expensive to join another company. Is this true? Now this is currently circa £12/month plus £15/month line rental (also ridiculously expensive). So I've currently not cancelled this.

Does anyone know if this will stop them coming back with a cheaper offer for the whole package? I gather they just advertised 35% off for existing customers if you call them, but I'm expecting 50%.

The whole thing is a ridiculous, tedious, time-wasting scam.

Just been through similar with VirginMedia.

Crept up to £80/month (FO Broadband / XL TV package + BT Sport / line rental + home phone).

I rang them:

"Its too expensive. How do I cancel it"

"Let me just check what we can do for you"

"ok"

"We can upgrade your broadband, and drop the price to £74/month"

"Thanks. Still too expensive"

"Let's see what else we can offer you for that"

"I don't want anything else. I can't be paying £1000 a year. Its just too much"

"Do you watch the BT Sport. We could take that off"

"No, that's one of the few things we do watch. How do we cancel?"

"We can give you a month completely free, BT Sport free for 6 months and upgrade your box to the Tivo box. Will now be £50/month"

"Why didn't you just tell me that to start with?"

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Notters

Once you cancel log onto your Sky account and you should be offered 50% off for 12 months. Hold out like i did for 60% off and £50 bill credit.

You will be given a cut off date for tv. A few days before Disconnection go onto live chat and a start a chat about final bill bla bla bla.

CALL THERE BLUFF. PLAY THE WAITING GAME

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
@has kraal fan club. Thanks. I fear we may be in a slightly weaker position being in Newhaven as cannot simply switch to Virgin.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Notters

Once you cancel log onto your Sky account and you should be offered 50% off for 12 months. Hold out like i did for 60% off and £50 bill credit.

You will be given a cut off date for tv. A few days before Disconnection go onto live chat and a start a chat about final bill bla bla bla.

CALL THERE BLUFF. PLAY THE WAITING GAME

Thanks. Do I need to call them again to cancel the broadband though?!

I have just logged in (for the first time) and can't see any good offer at the moment (though it's a terrible website to navigate).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thanks. Do I need to call them again to cancel the broadband though?!

I have just logged in (for the first time) and can't see any good offer at the moment (though it's a terrible website to navigate).
The same should apply to broadband. Read that thread i posted link like the last 10 pages. It will give you some idea.

Click MY SKY tab

Click on link which says "Household marketing"

Then make sure all 3 boxes are ticked.This way Sky can contact you

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The same should apply to broadband. Read that thread i posted link like the last 10 pages. It will give you some idea.

Click MY SKY tab

Click on link which says "Household marketing"

Then make sure all 3 boxes are ticked.This way Sky can contact you

Great, thanks for your help. Looking at the household marketing, it looks like the 35% offer my wife saw earlier may well have been "tailored advertising". Big brother is watching you!

"Tailored Advertising By opting in, your household will receive tailored advertising when you watch content on Sky. Based on information you have provided to us as a Sky subscriber (such as post code or TV package) and other information about your household, some adverts will be substituted with more relevant ones, so you should see more of the products and services you're interested in, and less of the things you're not."

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you are changing your phone line and broadband with them you need to engage your NEW PROVIDER first and then the transfer over is straight forward. The new company does it all for you at no major cost

However if you cancel Sky telephone and they close the phone line and you have to pay a reconnection fee when you go to the new provider. That's what they are probably referring to

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Cancelled SKY Sports and variety package last year and went to basic sky (have telephone line and broadband with them ) they called my bluff whilst cancelling angling for a better deal - didn't really miss it. Biggest thing that pissed me off I had some saved recordings on the sky box and these disappeared - not happy as In had paid for them during my subscription. Any way back on sky sports for 6 months at £12.50/month which I can live with

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If you've gone past your contract length you don't need to ring and cancel as the next provider does that for you once you've picked your new package.
You're better off changing every 12 months or so as the prices just go up and up and you can pocket the lovely deals every time you change.

Now TV is £15 and superb value and different sky sports packages that are cheaper and you pick and choose I,e £6.99 day pass :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you probably wont beat that, not without a "free" broadband as part of a package. you'll lose connection and have to pay for reconnection if you dont transfer across to another provider as part of the cancellation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
@has kraal fan club. Thanks. I fear we may be in a slightly weaker position being in Newhaven as cannot simply switch to Virgin.
Doesn't matter, there's now Netflix, Amazon, BT and other choices.

I asked to leave Sky, they never offered me anything good enough, so I stuck with leaving. Within a week of leaving they offered me half price to rejoin, so I took it. There are many alternatives now (including their own Now TV), so if they hadn't offered half I'd have gone elsewhere.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
So full prem fixture list Tues/wed tis week and nothing on sky. The same sky who keep increasing their subscription and drop champions league. Ibsee Bt have the games this midweek . So much for competition

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Have just cancelled Virgin Movies/Sports.
My package XL including phone/internet/movies/sports for the last few years was costing me £133.00 a month about to go up a fiver so £138.00

Never have time to watch movies and only catch one out of three live games.

Spoke to lovely fella in India ?

Upgrade to Tivo Box no charge
Upgrade to 100 from 50 internet speed no charge
Keep XL TV no charge
Keep Phone Talk Unlimited no charge

£80.00 a month now saving me £58.00.

Can always go down the pub to watch any footie:)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So they've now offered me £35/month for tv and broadband plus £50 credit. I probably would've accepted without the credit :shrug:

Bloody waste of time though.

Have now had to go through a broadband person who's halved my line rental without me even asking so am down to £27/month. Bizarre.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here