Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scaremongering at the BBC or a real threat?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
If you have adblock on and aren't entirely technophobic, it's very easy to avoid malware. Having a decent anti-malware/spyware program means you can catch anything that slips through the net.

It's far more dangerous crossing a road.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
" But with few reputable brands willing to attach their name to illegal distribution, the sites turn to malicious ads to pull in profits ".

Well that's a load of old shit for starters because when i've been at a friends house and he's been doing this or down loading stuff off dodgy sites
you regularly get Sky Sports, William Hill, Bet 365, Bet Fred, etc etc etc popping up every five seconds and a lot of other very very well known companies too.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
" But with few reputable brands willing to attach their name to illegal distribution, the sites turn to malicious ads to pull in profits ".

Well that's a load of old shit for starters because when i've been at a friends house and he's been doing this or down loading stuff off dodgy sites
you regularly get Sky Sports, William Hill, Bet 365, Bet Fred, etc etc etc popping up every five seconds and a lot of other very very well known companies too.
Assuming that it's a legitimate ad for those companies and not a malicious one using their image to encourage you to click...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Whilst that is completely true the chances are it won't be those companies directly. It'll more than likely be the site owner who is signed up to an affiliate network and is simply displaying their ads a bit like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] does on here. I'm sure those companies don't mind as I'd guess people using those sites are firmly in their demographic.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
I would never dream of using such nefarious routes for this or even downloading but I should imagine that a combination of common sense and standard security practices should ensure problem free activity.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
real threat. yes there are some actions to reduce the risk, but even they aren't guarantees. remember someone is paying for the bandwidth, and the nature of the sites means they are less bothered about the ethics of their clients, what they are selling or how.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

A friend eh? Nudge nudge, wink wink!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
They are 'dangerous', but only if you don't use any common sense when you visit the sites.

Anyone stupid enough to visit sites that are clearly illegally showing astreams, without downloading some soirt of pretection and taking care which X's you click, deserves to get a virus.

It's a bit like unprotected sex with the local scrubber.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never download any bolleros the site asks you to, always zap anything that looks like an close window 'X' and eventually you'll be left with a grainy sort of stream. Which is better than no stream at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here