Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the love of rhinos...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good morning everybody. Apologies in advance for the personal thread but hey! It's all for charidee!

The rhino never goes deep into the annual NSC WHC competition. In truth, it probably doesn't have much of a claim, as it will let itself get picked off by random humans. However, with the world's total rhino stock at no more than 30,000 and poaching running at over a thousand a year, you don't have to be a mathematician to work out that time is running out for these noble beasts.

I shall be running the Brighton Marathon this April in support of Save The Rhino International. It's my first marathon and I shall be donning the iconic rhino costume to make it that little bit harder. Following a 16 mile training run this morning I am terrified. I ache all over and can't imagine for the life of me where the extra ten miles are going to come from.

None of you know me and therefore have no real reason to donate. Nor do I expect a single one of you to do so. However, I thought I'd ask, just in case it makes a difference to you that the rhino you see on the day has the heart of a seagull. Even if you can't donate but see me on the day, give me an encouraging shout of Seagulls or Albion.

I can't seem to post a link on my iPad without crashing Safari but this is the page to go to for donations...

https://www.justgiving.com/JimHasTheHornAgain/

And while I'm at it, here's a daft promo film I made last year for other fundraising shenanigans...

Thank you for your time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great video. Excellent choice of music. Having shouted at Rhino at Hove Lagoon last year it's good to see how he spends a Sunday. Good luck on the day. Running as well but I hope to be in the pub by the time you've lugged that round.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
DSC02526.JPG

A very worthy cause. You will get round!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
View attachment 72000

A very worthy cause. You will get round!

Sakubona!

I helped out with the charity at last year's London Marathon by assisting at their welcome area for their runners. A good number of their runners were from South Africa. As one of them said to me, South Africa is the only country on earth to have The Big Five. A good number of their citizens are really on board with the conservation effort despite the awful poaching numbers in recent years. There's always hope.

:)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just being naughty and bouncing this. With 25 miles to go until the big day I find myself laid low with cold. Good to get it out of the way now I hope. The target has almost been reached. Now it's time to breach it.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.36.33.png

As I've said in the past, I've no expectation of receiving donations from total strangers but if you want to dip in and do good that would be massively appreciated. Mainly though, just give me a great big cheer on the day if you see me lumbering past.

https://www.justgiving.com/JimHasTheHornAgain

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
donation on its way
best of luck
take it easy
really great you should care, they are big lovable lumps and need saving

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
donation on its way
best of luck
take it easy
really great you should care, they are big lovable lumps and need saving

Thanks Glasfryn. Massively kind of you. There are only half a dozen staff on the payroll at Save The Rhino HQ. They are a dedicated crew and I know that they will do their very best to put your money to good use. I shall try and be worthy of your cash and only collapse after the finish line. Cheers.

:)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Thanks so much to all you guys. A series of donations from total strangers have taken me over the finish line. You're all magnificent and your support means so much to me and the charity.

Stay horny!

image.jpg

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hello again everybody. We're almost at the big day now and the fundraising has gone fantastically well, having just edged past £1,600. The NSC family has been superb in its support. Thanks to you all.

I've knocked up a new promotional film to try and snaffle a few more donations. If you're at a loose end and have a few minutes spare then here it is...

https://www.justgiving.com/JimHasTheHornAgain

Looking forward to being back in my favourite city on Earth again over the weekend. See you all there.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I love rhinos. Donated! :amex:

:bowdown:

Thank you so much. Save The Rhino are not one of the larger charities and they only have a small team trying to get as much as possible out to a whole host of projects around the world. We are all working hard to turn the current tide of poaching. Tigers, still in danger, seem to be turning a corner. Rhinos next!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here