Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice Needed (Car Accident)

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Have seen similar threads on here in the past and wondering if the fine folk of NSC can advise me on an car I incident was involved in this evening.

I was traveling across a roundabout whilst dropping off a friend with no other traffic in view. A car suddenly comes from the left and pulls directly infront of me without even looking. I manage to do damage limitations, break and minimize the impact. I end up hitting him in the side denting up his panels and he has completely mangled my passenger side wing/bumper. After both stopping he stumbles out (he's around 65 years old and had obviously had a drink) and had his wife in the passenger seat who just sat silently. I asked for us to swap insurance details and he mumbles he doesn't have any insurance and just drives off!

Managed to get his numberplate and car on mobile phone camera before-hand. I phoned 101 within 5 minutes after the accident and made a police report but I'm wondering where I stand in all this? Will I get paid out even though he has no insurance? Will I lose my no claims if I have to claim myself?

Thanks for any help on this.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
There is a pool that all insurance companies pay into that cover incidents like this with uninsured drivers. Happened to me years ago.
You should've kept him at the scene though and called the police if you suspected that he was over the limit

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you have the numberplate phone the police and report him for failing to stop and provide details etc. I think your insurance will cover you although you may lose your no claims..... deffo report the *******.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes MIB(motor insurance beaurex) may be of use here. But you might appear at fault . You'll very likely lose NCB.

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you have the numberplate phone the police and report him for failing to stop and provide details etc. I think your insurance will cover you although you may lose your no claims..... deffo report the *******.

Reported to the police within 5 mins after it happening. They have given me a crime number and said they put a marker on his car. He refused to stay at the scene and swap any details and as soon as I asked my friend to get his mobile out to get the vehicle details the guy got in and floored it off. Luckily managed to get them in time and give them to the Police. If they breathalyze the guy at his house after the incident can they prove he was over the limit at the time of driving?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Reported to the police within 5 mins after it happening. They have given me a crime number and said they put a marker on his car. He refused to stay at the scene and swap any details and as soon as I asked my friend to get his mobile out to get the vehicle details the guy got in and floored it off. Luckily managed to get them in time and give them to the Police. If they breathalyze the guy at his house after the incident can they prove he was over the limit at the time of driving?

Not sure, they need to prove he was driving and at the time was over the limit, if the cops get to breathalyse him before he gets home he's stuffed. If he gets home he might say something like " had a bad prang and had a drink to calm my nerves when I got in. " difficult to prove....hope the git gets nailed as it is no fun being on the wrong end of something like this.

theboybilly

If they breathalyze the guy at his house after the incident can they prove he was over the limit at the time of driving?

I'm 95% sure they can but they'll have to be fairly quick in apprehending him. Blokes at my old job were breathalized hours after been found drinking. The boffins can use a 'count-back' system to work out how much alcohol they'd have had in their blood at the time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Depends what they mean by a marker. If they have a number plate they should, in theory, be able to trace the address. However, if he has no insurance then probably doesn't tax the car either! You'll probably lose your NCB but as others have said, you can claim under the MIB. If you are fully comp you might want to check with your insurers as to whether they get the money back from MIB or not. Good luck.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Just did a check on the registration online and looks like no MOT either (Blanked out number plate incase of breaking any rules on here)

2whqa0h.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On the basis that the other driver should have given way to vehicles already on the roundabout, you should be in a good position to place the blame for the accident onto the other driver. If it turns out that he has no insurance, as opposed to not be willing to be provide insurance details.
Given that you have the registration details of the other vehicle you can check whether he is insured or not by visiting www.askmid.com

Of you re comprehensively insured you should use your own insurer for the repairs to your vehicle, A number of Insurers make it clear that they will deal with crashes where the other driver is uninsured and you wont lose your NCD or need to pay your excess if you are not at fault and have the vehicle details of the other driver.

Failing that you would be able to claim against the MIB, and again if you are not at fault you would retain your NCD.

If the other driver is in fact uninsured lets hope the police add driving without insurance to the failing to stop charge and also seize his vehicle until he has insurance.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
no , but he should be fined for leaving the scene though and as he has not given way at the roundabout he is at fault....contact your insurer asap.......lot a dicks on the road unfortunately.....if you could SMELL drink on him he would have been well over.....!!

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If it turns out that he has no insurance, as opposed to not be willing to be provide insurance details.
Given that you have the registration details of the other vehicle you can check whether he is insured or not by visiting www.askmid.com

Is that site accurate do you know? It's coming up as him being insured on askmid.com, which doesn't make much sense seeing as he himself said he wasn't and his car showing up as having no MOT.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The former Mrs Gwylan got smacked by white van who failed to give way. She got his details but the driver was uninsured but the police didn't want to know - their attitude was that it was a civil matter.

She did get her insurance claim paid though but lost her NCB

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is that site accurate do you know? It's coming up as him being insured on askmid.com, which doesn't make much sense seeing as he himself said he wasn't and his car showing up as having no MOT.

The MID for private cars should reflect the position as at the day before. There will be some that are slightly outside this but itgives the correct position almost all of the time.

Thw lack of an MOT could be an issue for him depwnding on which insurer he is with. This is because some insurers require a current MOT when required and have a policy condition to this effect.

If he is with one these insurers they will still need to deal with your claim either directly from you or your insurer. They would then have the right to seek recivery if their outlay from their driver.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The MID for private cars should reflect the position as at the day before. There will be some that are slightly outside this but itgives the correct position almost all of the time.

Thw lack of an MOT could be an issue for him depwnding on which insurer he is with. This is because some insurers require a current MOT when required and have a policy condition to this effect.

If he is with one these insurers they will still need to deal with your claim either directly from you or your insurer. They would then have the right to seek recivery if their outlay from their driver.

Seems very strange he didn't want to hang around and swap details whilst saying he wasn't insured... Must have been over the limit and wants to sort it out when sober and play innocent. Hmmm...

Thanks for the replies by the way. First time have had an accident in the car and still fecking fuming!

Last edited:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Given that you said he was over the limit perhaps this is the reason he said he wasn't insured? Failing to have insurance and scarpering possibly seems like a slightly lesser offence than drink driving?

I'd have thought that the fact you have his plate details and a photo means that your insurer should be able to track him down and to claim the costs of the repair back, whether directly from him or via his insurers (if he is insured), in which case you NCD wouldn't be affected. Those who are saying you would lose your NCD I think are referring to someone who scarpers and you (or your insurer) has no way to trace.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
There could be insurance for the car but he might not be insured to drive it.

This.

It's likely a friend's or relatives car that he's taken out for the day, coupled with being over the limit, he's taken off when asked for details.
You've reported it to the police, good. You've got photo/video evidence, perfect.

Report it to your own insurers and give them all the information including the Crime Reference Number.
As the car IS insured, your Insurers should be able to sort it as a non-fault accident without having to go down the MIB route.

Feel free to PM the reg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here