Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R I P Frank Finlay

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I appreciate that there was mention of his passing on the Terry Wogan thread. However I feel that such a great actor deserves his own space for people to pay respects.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I appreciate that there was mention of his passing on the Terry Wogan thread. However I feel that such a great actor deserves his own space for people to pay respects.

Totally agree unfortunately the death of one of the greatest broadcasters ever will overshadow the passing of one of the greatest character actors this country has produced, his CV is testament to this as his career spanned the decades at the highest level over TV, film and radio.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also played Casanova in Dennis Potter's TV adaptation. He was ideally suited for characters that had a certain "sleazy charm".
Bouquet of Barbed Wire was great TV. I could be wrong but I seem to remember it being broadcast in the afternoons, which is quite surprising considering the scandal it caused at the time with its themes of incestuous desire, sexual infidelity and domestic violence against women. Also starred the lovely Susan Penhaligon.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He was great as the Witchsmeller Pursuivant in the much underrated first series of Blackadder:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also played Casanova in Dennis Potter's TV adaptation. He was ideally suited for characters that had a certain "sleazy charm".
Bouquet of Barbed Wire was great TV. I could be wrong but I seem to remember it being broadcast in the afternoons, which is quite surprising considering the scandal it caused at the time with its themes of incestuous desire, sexual infidelity and domestic violence against women. Also starred the lovely Susan Penhaligon.

Just remembered it wasn't shown in the afternoons. I was confusing it with "A Kind of Loving" which also starred the lovely Susan Penhaligon and which definitely did not deal with themes of incest which would have been inappropriate for its afternoon slot.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
marlowe;7263192[B said:
]Also played Casanova in Dennis Potter's TV adaptation[/B]. He was ideally suited for characters that had a certain "sleazy charm".
wonderful series if a little dated now
RIP Frank

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Had the pleasure of seeing him in the Woman in Black at the Theatre Royal some years ago. The ripple of applause when he came on stage a demonstration of the high regard people had for him.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cassanova was so popular, due to the amount of female flesh on show, that some football teams changed their midweek fixtures.

This was the early 70s and there were no Video Recorders or I-Player back in the day.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
There's a strong Brighton connection as Frank was patron of the ACT acting school in Kemptown where his son Brighton resident Dan Findlay is head of Acting. Frank always came to all the student shows and was always a total gent, generous and very funny.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
His Casanova was sent up something rotten on Morecambe and Wise

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I loved it when he played that doctor in the weekly casebook. Quality actor.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, Casanova. Any further comment I may offer about that would have this thread shifted to the 'Immigrants' board, and myself looking at a ban :lolol:

Yes, cracking actor. RIP.

So many celebs passing recently is surely unprecedented? A chance clustering rather than the weather, presumably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here