Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The weakest Championship since we returned to it?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this is the weakest championship we have been in since we returned to it. Even the top six competing are some way short of the leaders in previous seasons.

I think both the Gus play off season side and the Oscar side would beat our current team which says it all really.

Probably only Middlesborough would compete with all the teams finishing in the top two in previous seasons.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's all relative, I don't think the Championship collectively is any stronger or weaker than last season - I don't think it's possible to really compare the seasons that way. I think there are more strong teams this season so there's less of a gulf in class between the top teams, or the difference is less noticeable. I think that a lot of teams are at a relatively similar level, although Middlesbrough have bought their way to the top and Derby have tried to do the same thing.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I thought the season we finished 4th was less competitive than this one. That Cardiff side or Hull side are no better than anyone else in the current top 6. Hull are very similar to the current one but I think they are efficient just like last time.
I think Gus side were were much more open and had it in them to spank a team but could be equally frustrating. If we had Ulloa and Upson for the whole season we would have finished top I should think and by some distance.
The season Oscar had I felt he did well with the limitations imposed but that team were not better than this one and would not finish top 6. The one player I would want though is Ulloa.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If we can go 7 games without a win and not even score in the last 5 of them, yet still be 4th only 6 points from the leaders, then yes, I guess you could describe it as a little weak.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The squad we have now is far superior to what Oscar had to work with. With everyone fit, the only players from 13/14 that would get into a first choice 11 are Ulloa and Upson.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If Palace could win promotion a few years ago with not a great side I would disagree.

Not sure how Hull went up in 2nd spot recently.

Derby with all their money spent are still waiting, after blowing it a few times when in a good position.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If we can go 7 games without a win and not even score in the last 5 of them, yet still be 4th only 6 points from the leaders, then yes, I guess you could describe it as a little weak.

Hmmm seem to remember our sticky patches when finishing 4th under Gus and 6th under Oscar and all the sides around us doing us a favour and dropping points at the same time too.

el punal

Because no team is a runaway leader doesn't necessarily mean the division is weaker, just more competitive. Think back a couple of weeks and Middlesbrough were starting to open up a big gap. When we played Blackburn had we lost and Boro won they would have been 14 points clear of us. Fast forward a week and two games and the difference between us is down to 5 points.

Vive la Championship! Anything can happen and does.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think this is the weakest championship we have been in since we returned to it. Even the top six competing are some way short of the leaders in previous seasons.

I think both the Gus play off season side and the Oscar side would beat our current team which says it all really.

Probably only Middlesborough would compete with all the teams finishing in the top two in previous seasons.

irrelevant, without strikers we are not contenders for promotion and never will be. All the best to Palace Southampton and Bournemouth who did not give away or sell there strikers

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think the the side which finished 4th under Gus was a more polished team. We finished the season really well and the additions of Ulloa & Upson to an already strong squad meant we were a force for the rest of the campaign and I would have fancied us strongly to stay up in the Premier with that side plus a few other signings.

I'd take our current team and squad over the Garcia team, I felt we were fortunate to make the top six with a fairly paltry points total for a playoff team.

Is the Championship weaker this year? Hard to say I wouldn't say because top teams are dropping points regularly is a sign of a poor division, it's possibly more competitive than usual. Boro look a fine side and Hull go about their business and pick up points. Below that plenty of good sides but nothing I'd lose sleep over.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Is the Premier strong because Chelsea were in the bottom 4 a couple of weeks ago?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The squad we have now is far superior to what Oscar had to work with. With everyone fit, the only players from 13/14 that would get into a first choice 11 are Ulloa and Upson.

I would not pick Upson ahead of Dunk this season. Upson was not immune to bad errors (v Wigan and v Derby).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

I thought we played better football than this season on ocassions when we free from injuries. Better than this season when we had a good team out. Alas, we could rarely field a settled side.

Hopefully, our current side can put on a good performance to match the best of 2013-14. We also got outplayed twice at home 1-3 v Forest and 2-0 v QPR. Some players like Greer had reached thier peak back then and new blood was needed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, I thought the weakest was the last one under Gus, which we could have won at a canter if Gus had not been so negative in so many away games. Neither Cardiff or Hull were all that and neither were Palace who raised their game against us (as
we went negative again) and Watford.

I think that this season may well be the strongest since we came into it as there are so many clubs involved in the promotion chase :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here