Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yardy joins Sussex coaching team

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yet another old boy joins the team - Yards is going to be in charge of the U17s

Still no batting coach - one for Prior?

That's four ex-players on the coaching team plus Cottey in promotions. Is Neil Lenham still there?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

That's four ex-players on the coaching team plus Cottey in promotions. Is Neil Lenham still there?
matts going to coach them how throw your bat in the changing room without smashing the windows.:nono:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think Matty is more interested in cycling these days.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
More jobs for the boys

I'm currently on a Level 2 coaching course with none other than James Kirtley. So, don't be surprised to see him on the coaching staff at some point in the future (and he's a thoroughly nice bloke BTW - no Billy Big Bollocks from him at all)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have no problem with ex players doing some coaching at their old county as after all, what else can old cricketers do to stay close to the game ?however, at the top of the tree, the numero uno should be someone with a bit of genuine class who can really inspire and get the many levels of county cricketers playing a distinctive style.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm currently on a Level 2 coaching course with none other than James Kirtley. So, don't be surprised to see him on the coaching staff at some point in the future (and he's a thoroughly nice bloke BTW - no Billy Big Bollocks from him at all)

I always thought Kirt's career never really quite took off for him, pity.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I have no problem with ex players doing some coaching at their old county as after all, what else can old cricketers do to stay close to the game ?however, at the top of the tree, the numero uno should be someone with a bit of genuine class who can really inspire and get the many levels of county cricketers playing a distinctive style.

Yep, like Duncan Fletcher, Paul Farbrace, Trevor Bayliss, Mike Hesson, Dav Whatmore, John Buchanan, Clive Woodward, Jose Mourinho, Arsne Wenger.......

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I always thought Kirt's career never really quite took off for him, pity.

Yep, like Duncan Fletcher, Paul Farbrace, Trevor Bayliss, Mike Hesson, Dav Whatmore, John Buchanan, Clive Woodward, Jose Mourinho, Arsne Wenger.......

Kirtley, Fletcher and Woodward all played internationally - you can't get to a much higher level than that

EDI: As did Whatmore

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Kirtley, Fletcher and Woodward all played internationally - you can't get to a much higher level than that

EDI: As did Whatmore

I'll give you Woodward, but Fletcher only played 6 ODI's and never played test cricket, but was one of the best coaches England have had in recent years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'll give you Woodward, but Fletcher only played 6 ODI's and never played test cricket, but was one of the best coaches England have had in recent years.

Of course he didn't: he retired 12 years before Zimbabwe gained test status and only just after they'd started playing international cricket. He'd undoubtedly had played more if he'd been born 15 years later

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Of course he didn't: he retired 12 years before Zimbabwe gained test status and only just after they'd started playing international cricket. He'd undoubtedly had played more if he'd been born 15 years later

But the implication was that someone had to have "genuine class" to get the top job. Fletcher was a decent player, but not genuine class, a batting average of 23, and bowling average of 28, 5 fifers in 111 games.

He likely would have played test cricket if Zimbabwe were accepted, but nothing in his career suggests he would have been considered one of the greats.

The fact remains that the best coaches in most sports have not been considered the greatest exponents of their sports, but manage to inspire the players they manage and coach.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yardy will teach the young'uns how to block. Great appointment.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Do you really need to have played at the top, to coach at the top?

Sure you'll be better equipped on the mental side, but what are the other benefits?

My view is good players, don't always make good coaches ....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here