Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion set to sign Ridgewell

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Sorry if I missed it on another thread - but did no one else notice on the email from the club about Bjordal signing - under Breaking Transfer News, it announced "Albion set to sign Ridgewell"? That was how it came through on my gmail anyway - I thought I was going to open the note and find we had done a permanent deal for him - maybe club letting out a secret. . . no I don't think so either ,but would be a great piece of news in my opinion, if nothing else it would make BG happy! Would also set us up for what I think is the inevitable departure of Calderon and Grear at the end of the season with only one new signing.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Yes i spotted this too, I reckon they used the same email template as when announcing the Ridgewell loan signing and forgot to change it.

When we signed Ridgewell on loan the email subject was the same as the one sent out on the Bjordal email.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We did sign Ridgewell.

On loan.

Which may or may not be extended up to the Leeds game before he returns to Portland.

Story over

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
Sorry if I missed it on another thread - but did no one else notice on the email from the club about Bjordal signing - under Breaking Transfer News, it announced "Albion set to sign Ridgewell"? That was how it came through on my gmail anyway - I thought I was going to open the note and find we had done a permanent deal for him - maybe club letting out a secret. . . no I don't think so either ,but would be a great piece of news in my opinion, if nothing else it would make BG happy! Would also set us up for what I think is the inevitable departure of Calderon and Grear at the end of the season with only one new signing.

I imagine that's someone copying the email template from the email announcing the loan signing and not updating all the titles correctly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It was a typo. Someone forget to edit the template from the previous mailshot.

And thank goodness. No, it really wouldn't have been 'a great piece of news' (imo). He's slow, massively limited and doesn't look particularly bothered.

If we wanted an experienced, slow, dependable but limited centre back, we would have just signed Halford, or better still, kept Hughes.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill

And thank goodness. No, it really wouldn't have been 'a great piece of news' (imo). He's slow, massively limited and doesn't look particularly bothered.

If we wanted an experienced, slow, dependable but limited centre back, we would have just signed Halford, or better still, kept Hughes.

Really? wow. . . not overwhelmed by him I admit but would put him significantly above either of those two - granted his likely wages would probably make him overpriced so I accept yes perhaps it wouldn't be great news if taking that into account.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Really? wow. . . not overwhelmed by him I admit but would put him significantly above either of those two - granted his likely wages would probably make him overpriced so I accept yes perhaps it wouldn't be great news if taking that into account.

I have not been to impressed by him, he is just making up numbers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He'd be reasonable back up at CB, but far too expensive to offer value in a back-up role. Awful at full back - Hughes is a MUCH more proficient full back.

And not a knob.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Really not sure he gives us anything more than Calde does (on the strength of seeing one game anyway)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wait, have I missed something? What's with the dislike towards Ridgewell? He seems to have done alright since he come in, nothing spectacular.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agree with the general comments on here, he is average at best, but arguably worse than Calders at left back as he doesn't seem too bothered. He is playing left back in a more old fashioned way, not really supporting the winger or driving forward.

Personally I'd have given Chickson a couple of games but he clearly isn't rated. Going forward he is a much better bet than Ridgewell.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
He's been pretty solid and his arrival coincides with our return to form. Can't be just coincidence and other players. He's done just what was required and has helped settle the ship.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wait, have I missed something? What's with the dislike towards Ridgewell? He seems to have done alright since he come in, nothing spectacular.

I don't particularly DISLIKE Liam Ridgewell, but I've seen no evidence that he CARES about our club's fortunes. We're facilitating a paid holiday for him, so he can spend time in the UK and see his kids.

I do very much however, DISLIKE the notion of us signing him. Because he's not very good.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He's been pretty solid and his arrival coincides with our return to form. Can't be just coincidence and other players. He's done just what was required and has helped settle the ship.

I wasn't impressed with him against Huddersfield, but the evidence is he's played 2 games, we've only shipped one goal and won them both. Admittedly, he appeared to be much happier tucking in to a left sided 3rd CB role: when ever he ventured towards the touchline he had a nosebleed rush of blood.

I'm sure we will all be much happier when we can get Bong back.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here