Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***WHC IX* Quarter final 3***

Hardest beast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a proper old school dust up. Two apex predators. Two killing machines. Only one winner.

The combatants:

Salt Water Crocodile

Saltwater+crocodile+attacks.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile

WHC IX performance:

Second round: beat Grizzly Bear 37-23
Group D: 1st 41 votes(35.04%)

The Salt Water Croc is a legend of WHC. He doesn't have the vocal support of some of the entrants but his record is superlative. Eight straight semi finals. Four times finalist. Reigning champion. Perhaps his biggest threat is voter apathy. No beast (other than the hall of fame Polar Bear)has retained the title. Only the Orca (and Hall of Fame Polar Bear) has even managed to return to the final the following season after winning(and look whats happened to the Orca since-he's a has been...). Can the S.W.C buck that trend? He's bringing plenty to the table:

Outlasted the dinosaurs, surviving whatever cataclysmic event did for them.
Can survive comfortably with missing limbs or tail.
Has the most powerful jaws in the business(even more powerful than the estimated bite force of a t-rex).
Lives with some of the most dangerous animals in the world.
Fights those self same most dangerous animals in the world.
Has the death roll. The only animal in the competition with its own patented killing move.
Is armour plated.

Can he see off his apex predator opponent? NSC, you decide.

Vs

Siberian Tiger

Siberian-Tiger-Photos.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_tiger

WHC IX performance:

Second round: beat Orca 77-36
Group B: 23 votes (21.7%)

Siberian Tiger is having an excellent WHC IX. He beat former champion Orca in the second round, garnering double the number of votes that the S.W.C got in beating the Grizzly Bear. So clearly there is a lot of goodwill this year going the Tigers way. Can he maintain it and become the first beast ever to knock the S.W.C out before the semi finals? What's he bringing to the show down?

He is a potent threat combining great power and strength with the agility and speed that all cats are famed for. It's a pretty scary combo and thats jsut what he uses to catch his prey. When he attacks he uses that size, speed and agility long with his razor sharp claws and massive destructive jaws. He's an apex predator who is well documented to take on, kill and eat both brown and asian black bears.

Stumpy Tim

Got to be the croc. Worth repeating this:

(a) Outlasted the dinosaurs.
(b) Most powerful jaws (more powerful than the estimated bite force of a T-rex).
(c) Lives & fights the most dangerous animals in the world.
(d) The only animal in the competition with its own patented killing move.

The croc is the beast to beat in this competition

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Gonna hold off voting for now. Leaning towards SWC, as at the moment I can't really see how the Tiger is pound-for-pound hard.

Convince me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gonna hold off voting for now. Leaning towards SWC, as at the moment I can't really see how the Tiger is pound-for-pound hard.

Convince me.

Takes on BEARS, that are bigger than him.

As for the croc, two words;

Elastic. Band.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Got to be the croc. Worth repeating this:

(a) Outlasted the dinosaurs.
(b) Most powerful jaws (more powerful than the estimated bite force of a T-rex).
(c) Lives & fights the most dangerous animals in the world.
(d) The only animal in the competition with its own patented killing move.

The croc is the beast to beat in this competition
This.

The tiger is the David Gower of the last 8 (flair, lovely to watch), but it's up against Don Bradman here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought you were going to say:

300,000,000. Years.

I'm guessing there's bacteria and plant life that have been around that long as well. This fact counts AGAINST the Croc, not for it. This fact suggests that evolution has perfected the Croc to the point where the odds are stacks massively in it's favour, in most fights. That is the exact opposite of what the WHC is about.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Takes on BEARS, that are bigger than him.

As for the croc, two words;

Elastic. Band.

Hmm, are these bears particularly aggressive and much of a threat to the tiger? i.e. Does it just go for it despite being an absolutely mental decision, or is it a calculated attack, knowing that the odds are in favour of the Tiger?

I thought you were going to say:

300,000,000. Years.

Let's all vote Tardigrade then.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh crikey this is a tough one. I'm a massive croc supporter but it'd be a shame to see the FLAIR tiger go out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There's a superb video online of someone carrying a live crocodile in his arm, and using the croc's nose to press the buzzer on his mate's front door.

I will try to track it down.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm, are these bears particularly aggressive and much of a threat to the tiger? i.e. Does it just go for it despite being an absolutely mental decision, or is it a calculated attack, knowing that the odds are in favour of the Tiger?

Fair questions, you clearly understand how the WHC works. I think this one is a toughie personally, as I'm not sure the Tiger does that much that is hard.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm guessing there's bacteria and plant life that have been around that long as well. This fact counts AGAINST the Croc, not for it. This fact suggests that evolution has perfected the Croc to the point where the odds are stacks massively in it's favour, in most fights. That is the exact opposite of what the WHC is about.

I think you're struggling here.

Crocodiles are essentially flat dinosaurs. Dinosaurs have been all but wiped from earth, not once, but twice. Even a critical comet collision is insufficient to knock the croc from the planet. You're a bit desperate if you are serious about comparing the achievement of a 30 metre beast living 300,000,000 years to some microscopic thing nobody has heard of.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you're struggling here.

Crocodiles are essentially flat dinosaurs. Dinosaurs have been all but wiped from earth, not once, but twice. Even a critical comet collision is insufficient to knock the croc from the planet. You're a bit desperate if you are serious about comparing the achievement of a 30 metre beast living 300,000,000 years to some microscopic thing nobody has heard of.

You are referring to longevity specifically there, are you not? I think again you're making my point for me - things we haven't even HEARD of have also managed this. Therefore, not impressive when it comes to the personality of hardness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Here is a crocodile attacking other massive, feared and/or hard creatures:

[yt]QEG0OnF2PCY[/yt]
[yt]AiLcQ7TMwPk[/yt]

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"Generally very lethargic, the saltwater crocodile will usually loiter in the water or bask in the sun during much of the day, preferring to hunt at night"

****. Can't even be hard enough to take on its prey in the day.

Probably scared of getting of getting humiliated by Australian zoologists.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You are referring to longevity specifically there, are you not? I think again you're making my point for me - things we haven't even HEARD of have also managed this. Therefore, not impressive when it comes to the personality of hardness.

By personality of hardness do you mean attitude?

There are many facets to hardness, attitude is one of them. There are other facets such as actual physical prowess. Size is negated by making it a pound for pound contest but the beasts should still be able to show some physical skills relative to their size. The best beasts should score highly in all facets: aggression, attitude, strength, ability to take a beating, durability etc etc.

Too often people have ignored this and gone for the biggest beast. you've waged an admirable campaign against this simple thinking but I fear you might be going too far down the path of only attitude being important. Mike Tyson was definitely harder than Frank Bruno even if big Frank showed remarkable courage getting into a ring with a man he knew could deliver him a fearful beating.

All that being said, half the fun of the competition is the differing views on what makes hard. It's kept the competition alive into it's ninth year.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
"Generally very lethargic, the saltwater crocodile will usually loiter in the water or bask in the sun during much of the day, preferring to hunt at night"

****. Can't even be hard enough to take on its prey in the day.

Probably scared of getting of getting humiliated by Australian zoologists.

Then again, the Tiger sleeps for about 18-20 hours per day.

Neither of these creatures should reach the semis really.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
By personality of hardness do you mean attitude?

There are many facets to hardness, attitude is one of them. There are other facets such as actual physical prowess. Size is negated by making it a pound for pound contest but the beasts should still be able to show some physical skills relative to their size. The best beasts should score highly in all facets: aggression, attitude, strength, ability to take a beating, durability etc etc.

Too often people have ignored this and gone for the biggest beast. you've waged an admirable campaign against this simple thinking but I fear you might be going too far down the path of only attitude being important. Mike Tyson was definitely harder than Frank Bruno even if big Frank showed remarkable courage getting into a ring with a man he knew could deliver him a fearful beating.

All that being said, half the fun of the competition is the differing views on what makes hard. It's kept the competition alive into it's ninth year.

For me attitude and personality are the biggest facets, because they're by far the most interesting to debate and discuss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here