Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell: 'Albion turned me from a boy into a man and carved my path to the Premier L

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Steve Sidwell wants to repay Albion for making a man of him and launching him on the path to a Premier League career.
Only this time with a happy ending.
Sidwell was a 19-year-old novice when he joined the Seagulls' Championship relegation struggle under Steve Coppell at Withdean on loan from Arsenal in November 2002.
He scored five goals in 12 games from central midfield before Reading won a three-way fight with the Seagulls and Stoke to sign him permanently.
Albion were relegated on the final day of the season, while Reading were eventually promoted to the Premier League.
Sidwell went on to play for the Royals, Chelsea under Jose Mourinho, Aston Villa, Fulham and Stoke in the top flight.
Now, 14 years on, he is back on loan from Stoke for the rest of the season, eager to help a transformed Albion reach the promised land.
Sidwell, speaking at the club's training complex in Lancing, said: "It's definitely different, a different environment, different place from the Withdean and University training ground coming to this magical place, really special.
"It seems like it's gone quick but I'm looking forward to pulling the jersey on and hopefully repeating the performances I put in back then.
"I absolutely loved it, I really did, even though it was a relegation battle at the time.
"It was something I thrived on. It was short and sweet, 12 games and five goals, but I remember everything about it, the players, the games, the fans.
"When the Reading thing came up I was a bit gutted at first. I thought 'I don't want to leave'. Obviously that went on to bigger and better things but I did actually raise the question, said could I sign for Reading but still be at Brighton, silly as it seems. It's good to be back."
Sidwell, 33 last month, does not under-estimate the significance his two-month stint as a teenager starting out had on his rise to the top.
He said: "When you go on loan from a big team like Arsenal it's all about getting experience and putting yourself in the shop window for people to see, other than just playing in reserve games.
"Hitting five goals in 12 games obviously raised a few eyebrows elsewhere. That definitely put me in good stead, coming out from playing reserve team football, playing at the Withdean and growing up. That's what you do when you go out on loan.
"You become a man at a young age. That's definitely what happened. Being in that environment around real, experienced pros, playing games and playing well put me in good stead for what happened at Reading for sure.
"It was a chapter that never really closed for me. I felt at the time it was short and sweet and, although I went on to Reading, I thought 'Would there be a chance some when down the line'. Thankfully there is. Hopefully we can close it on a good note.
"It's pretty similar to last time really, it's a shop window, a platform for me to come and show the club, show the fans, show the manager what I'm capable of, then who knows what goes on from there."
Sidwell's return reunites him with Bobby Zamora, a team-mate at both Albion and Fulham and the striker's 'guest' at the Amex on Saturday when he watched his close friend volley Chris Hughton's side ahead against Huddersfield. It also resurrects Fulham's Premier League spine, with David Stockdale in goal for the Seagulls.
Sidwell said: "There were a lot of people that were factors in coming here. The chairman Tony Bloom and Darren Bloom (brother), other people at the club and obviously Bobby.
"He was a big part of it as well. He had a lot of good stuff to say and, to link up with him again, I've probably played some of my best football with Bobs when I was here with him and at Fulham.
"He often jokes that he's got me a lot of my moves. He said he wants a big chapter in my autobiography when it comes out in a few years time!
"I can't wait. Obviously we've got older, got the experience now.
"To link up with Bobby again I know, given the chance, we'll hit some form and do well. He's still scoring goals. His finishing speaks for itself.
"There's David Stockdale as well, the keeper. I had some great times with him at Fulham. I've been speaking to him a lot, kept in contact with him, so I'm really looking forward to it."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here