Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MLB to play a game in LONDON next year ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...playing-regular-season-game-in-london-in-2017

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred says the league could play a regular-season game in London in 2017.

“We are very interested in playing there, and we’re working hard on that one,” Manfred said. “I don’t think it will be an opener because of the weather issues. It would be later in the season.”

Baseball has been looking at the Olympic Stadium in east London as a possible venue. Manfred wouldn’t discuss the possibility of having a high-profile match-up between teams such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

“We haven’t really settled on teams, and I don’t want to speculate about that,” he said. “Obviously, we want to make as good a first impression in Europe as we possibly can.”

The NFL, NBA and NHL have all played regular-season games in London in recent years.

Bring a game to London, and I will be all over that like a pigeon on a chip. If the Twins come over, then I will messily and comprehensibly SOIL myself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can you imagine how much they'll charge? ! Probably cheaper to fly to new York and take in a game.

Why ?
They don't seem to charge ridiculous prices for the NFL games that come over.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I saw the Yankees vs the Red Sox at yankee stadium two years ago tickets cost 45 dollars each for pretty decent seats. The stadium was part of the fun. Not sure it being in a football stadium would work. Much like watching football in a baseball stadium. Just doesnt work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw the Yankees vs the Red Sox at yankee stadium two years ago tickets cost 45 dollars each for pretty decent seats. The stadium was part of the fun. Not sure it being in a football stadium would work. Much like watching football in a baseball stadium. Just doesnt work.

The fact that there are 162 regular season games in baseball means tickets are pretty cheap.

I know what you mean re the football stadium aspect though. You ideally need a large elevated section behind home plate and 1st + 3rd base, so if it was at the Olympic Stadium the sightlines would not be ideal. Would still love to go though, just to experience it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why would anyone want to see rubbish like this anyway ? it's only Rounders with chewing gum and hats ad infinitum.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If they played it at the Olympics Stadium it would be in athletics mode rather than West Ham mode I'd guess.

Bxd0StLCEAAIyXu.jpg

Last edited:

May 14, 2015
As a big baseball fan (and former semi- professional player) i would love for the game to expand to London, especially the Yankees. People write off the sport before they have tried it, once your into it it really is a beautiful game

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Exactly - Yankee Stadium already hosts soccer games for New York City FC and it certainly doesn't work.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Why would anyone want to see rubbish like this anyway ? it's only Rounders with chewing gum and hats ad infinitum.

If you think it's rounders, I'd venture to suggest you've missed some of the subtleties. Okay, all of them ...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes I did, that was back in 2011 & 13 but I should have said some more games.
I have not heard of any more in the near future.

Were there not games a couple of weeks back? Im not a huge fan but cant seem to get away from seeing someone bragging about off to see a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here