Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh dear!!!

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I've just seen the trailer for the new Dad's Army film. It looks absolutely awful. Why do people think they can improve what is already perfect?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I have to say that when I heard they were doing a remake I feared the worse, but they have decent actors in it and I actually think it looks okay on the trailer.

It won't be as good as the original, how could it, but I reckon it's still worth a trip to the cinema.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've just seen the trailer for the new Dad's Army film. It looks absolutely awful. Why do people think they can improve what is already perfect?
I have to agree with you, but a lot of these remakes are for the new generation, which makes it even worse.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I will be going to the cinema to see it.
The trailer and excerpts on gold look ok.
It just looked quite good on the news earlier and it has some great actors in it.
The trouble is that they always select the funniest bits to get you interested, then more than often the rest is poor.
A good example of this was Carry On Columbus, it looked very good in the ads but it was rubbish even with Rik Mayal in it.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

As opposed to the BBC comedy/drama last December, We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story, which was superb. All of the actors playing the different characters were good but John Sessions playing Arthur Lowe stole the show, he was magnificent.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Looking forward to it. One of my favourite actors, Bill Nighy as Sgt Wilson seems perfect casting.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
As opposed to the BBC comedy/drama last December, We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story, which was superb. All of the actors playing the different characters were good but John Sessions playing Arthur Lowe stole the show, he was magnificent.
Just goes to show how we all have differing opinions on things - I was deeply disappointed by this dramatisation. Will keep an open mind on the film - as Raleigh Chopper notes, it's a good cast so that will hopefully help...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'Don't panic' 😂

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A good cast is not a guarantee for a good film.
It should not be overlooked that the original Dads Army worked as a 30 minute TV show, and like many TV series of the past did not make a good transition to the big screen.
I am giving this film a wide berth and will not be seeing it at the cinema as I fully expect it to be unfunny and suffer in direct comparison to the original.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm of the opinion that the remake just should never have happened - the original was a thing of genius - and of its time; leave its memory alone. Still, I daresay money lies at the root of this, somewhere.
Also, it is an easy way to make a film which inevitably will be watched, without needing to have any originality, imagination or creativity.
Still, those of you that want to see it, I hope you will enjoy it. I personally will not be going anywhere near it.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
It should not be overlooked that the original Dads Army worked as a 30 minute TV show, and like many TV series of the past did not make a good transition to the big screen.
I am giving this film a wide berth and will not be seeing it at the cinema as I fully expect it to be unfunny and suffer in direct comparison to the original.

I disagree, I love the film.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

This is true of course, some great films have had actors in them that I have never heard of.
However, I think that for this type of film you need well known and tried and trusted actors like Gambon to carry it off and get bums on seats.
The Dad's Army film, whilst being very good, was still missing something from the original series and it had the same actors in it. I am struggling to think of a film that was as good or better than the 30 minute comedy series it was based on.
To be fair the actors said as much on the news tonight, but it doesn't mean it will not be any good.
Planning a night out with the boys, a few pints beforehand, watch the movie (avoiding the ridiculously priced food & drink in the cinema,. of course) then back in the pub afterwards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here