Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What motivates people to test themselves to the limit?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
After hearing of the sad death of Henry Worsley, it makes one wonder why people test themselves against Mother nature. I've trekked through blizzards and torrential rain in The Himalayas, swam with sharks, played with Big Cats, thinking that I was doing dangerous things, but being alone in the wilderness in temperatures of under -40c, now that is something else. Man has always had a sense for adventure but why?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
After hearing of the sad death of Henry Worsley, it makes one wonder why people test themselves against Mother nature. I've trekked through blizzards and torrential rain in The Himalayas, swam with sharks, played with Big Cats, thinking that I was doing dangerous things, but being alone in the wilderness in temperatures of under -40c, now that is something else. Man has always had a sense for adventure but why?

I think for some people (and I do wish I was one of them) it's simply because it's something that's there to be done, regardless of the inherent risk in doing so.

It's hard not to respect it, even if understanding it is a little harder.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It's a good question. I've never felt the need to push myself to the limit - the nearest I would get would be nowhere near this level. Even marathons, iron man, etc - I see people doing them at work, but it does nothing for me. I'm sure they are equally perpexed about me. I wouldn't say I necessarily respected someone who does this kind of thing, especially when there are loved ones left behind, but they've usually got a tale or two to tell.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Testing myself to the limit would involve having a Red Bull/Food at Kingston Roundabout and piece of fruit from The Farm Shop on the way to the Amex :moo:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There's a buzz from reaching the top of even a small hill. I've done a few biggish mountains and that buzz is there, despite the pain. The achievement trumps the pain.

As for crossing the Antarctic unaided, however, thats something that has never been done before. There must be something else at play here, a desire to be the first..., dare one say, a desire to be famous?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here